How fudged am I? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

How fudged am I?

From left to right, top to bottom, it appears bolt 9 might be stripped? It tightens down to the point where it can't be unscrewed with your hand, how ever it never completely stops turning.
Lastly, 13 is broken off in the hole. I can lift whats left of the bolt right out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2014, 11:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: How fudged am I?

The stripped bolt #9 should be a straightforward Helicoil fix. #13 will need to be drilled and removed with an Easy Out, or drilled out completely and then fitted with a Helicoil. I would remove the camshafts first; then you might have enough sticking up to be able to grab #13 with vice-grips and turn it out.
I'm not sure of what use the picture is . They all look fine in the picture!

Last edited by Joe_B; 10-05-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDoom View Post
From left to right, top to bottom, it appears bolt 9 might be stripped? It tightens down to the point where it can't be unscrewed with your hand, how ever it never completely stops turning.
Lastly, 13 is broken off in the hole. I can lift whats left of the bolt right out.

The stripped bolt - occasionally you might be able to use a 5mm longer bolt and pick up some undamaged thread below the damage, but I wouldn't try tightening it to spec due to the reduced thread, and you need to be very careful that it doesn't bottom in the hole. Bottoming on oil or crud in the bottom of blind holes is what usually breaks bolts during installation.
But since you have to drill out the broken bolt anyway I'd Helicoil the damaged thread while you're in there.
If the engine is still in the frame though it's going to be a struggle to get a drill in there without a 90-degree chuck.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2014, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

i know this goes without saying but be very careful in keeping shavings out of the engine when you drill them out. might be a good idea to use an aluminum cutting fluid when you tap the holes. probably impossible with the block in the frame but it wouldnt be a bad idea to use a drilling block to keep your drill 90 degrees to the block when your drilling them out. you really dont want to break a drill bit or tap off in there. youd be pretty fudged for sure then! so get some good sharp new bits n take your time or take it to an experienced metal shop if you think youd not be able to pull it off yourself. its not all that hard to do but you really just get the one chance n then your options dramatically get reduced if that doesnt turn out. if the broken bolt is close enough to the surface and has a small catch in it you can sometimes use a pointy tap or punch n hammer n lightly tap it to unscrew it. ive had success more than once with that method but it just depends on the situation. if you end up having to drill it out start with a small bit n get it started close to center as you can and work your way up a bit size at a time. if you get it nicely centered when you get all the way out to just shy of the original threads you can use a tap set the same size n pitch as the original bolt n probably clean the remaining bit of broken bolt out. use the cutting fluid n take your time. one turn in, half a turn out, repeat. you could get lucky n not need to helicoil that hole. ive heard f people just drilling them out n then tapping them the next size up as well but personally id use the helicoil route. if its done right its really better than before you started.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 Old 10-05-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 6

Hmmm. I'm currently in an apartment so dropping the engine is a no goes.
Might have to take it to the shop.

How detrimental is it that they be screwed in? Like i said, 9 goes in pretty good
just doesnt tighten fully. Lock tight?
13 just wouldn't be putting down pressure.

Seems pretty crucial to the operation of the camshafts but I'm no expert.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-2014, 3:08 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Id definately be trying to fix both of them. Thats no good. Id drop engine for a day and get it fixed. Pretty easy and quick once engine is out.

GoodLuck

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page