New to the forum, Check out my 954RR Build. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New to the forum, Check out my 954RR Build.

So a few weeks ago I picked up an 03 954RR in pretty rough shape. I dont think the oil was ever changed, both shocks were blown, the tank was all banged up. frame was scratched and ugly... Definitely need some TLC and some cash to make her whole again. Right now she is almost finished, so I will post a few pics from the build. I dont have a whole bunch so I will just post what I have.

Here is she is the day I got her and brought her home (i rode it home like this... no brakes, no lights, misfiring... thank god i got home lol)

I decided I wanted to build a repsol replica (with my twist), since it's an 03 and thats the only year they did the Repsol livery. I ordered a new tank that wasnt all banged up and had it sprayed repsol orange, I also got a 1000rr rear wheel from an 07 and used this since its a little bit wider and im running a 190 rear, i also got this painted to match the tank. I resprayed the front wheel black.

Installed some new chain, sprockets, tires, grips, brake pads, levers, tank pad, swingarm spools, new headlight and the fairing bracket that bolts to the neck of the frame, since it was pretty banged up. I repainted the entire frame and the subframe, the front rotors and rear undertail and degreased the whole bike. Took the swingarm off off and degreased it and buffed it out, it looks brand new!

and here she is after the first ride after I got her back to a rideable condition with my gsxr:

I took an angle grinder to the oem exhaust and made it into a megaphone style slip on that a lot of guys like to run on their bikes. I never understood why they were paying $50-150 for something they could just make out of their stock exhaust?

She is about 80% complete right now, I'm still waiting on the plastics to be delivered and I have to figure out why the tach isn't working. Other than that shes almost done!

I'll get some more pics when shes all finished

Last edited by localguy; 10-06-2014 at 2:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 2:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: New to the forum, Check out my 954RR Build.

oh and a cool side note, the guy who wrecked the bike initially lost his leg on it, and the last 3 of the vin is 666 lol. I love this bike.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 3:10 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Love the orange!!

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks camper! Hopefully you like spending time in the outdoors and not behind a small trash can for unsuspecting players on Call of Duty, I hate campers! Lol
post #5 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 5:24 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by localguy View Post
Thanks camper! Hopefully you like spending time in the outdoors and not behind a small trash can for unsuspecting players on Call of Duty, I hate campers! Lol
I'm kinda stuck with it, it's my last name....

I bet that exhaust is crazy loud! Looks sweet though!

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #6 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 6:39 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

looking forward to the completed product... and welcome to the .org

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 8:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks unslow1. Once these plastics get here and a couple fairing brackets come from bikebandit shes gonna get all wrapped up! I just finished and sold an 07 600rr, and am working on a 96 gsxr 1100 fighter and also finished up that black 07 gsxr in the photos a few up. Not enough time in the day, and waiting for parts BLOWS.
post #8 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 9:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I was lazy today, I did some work on the extended swingarm for my 1100, but didn't get very much done to the repsol at all lol.

I did however manage to install these nifty little rim decals! w00t

post #9 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 9:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

nice that your bringing it back. im kinda interested in your exhaust job. i actually posted a thread a few days ago on doing basically what you did on yours. how does it sound like that? lol i was thinking of putting some baffles in the mid pipe behind the htev system because i tried pulling the oem muffler off the bike n rode it just for the hell of it but i really could tell a loss of power down low when i did. its my understanding that a shorter pipe or a much less restricted pipe with less back pressure moves the torque curve up higher in relation to the rpm's. anyway i could tell it killed a good bit of the low end torque n it was loud, too loud.

i just had a little get-off on my 954 n was considering doing the repsol theme on mine as well. my tank got a little bit of rash n my upper n tail plastics got a little also. anyway, wanted to ask what you spent getting your tank painted cause mine is going to need it whatever color or theme i decide on. if you dont mind saying, id like to know what i can expect to some degree far as costs go. where did you order your plastics from? when you get them n they are on the bike id be interested to know what your overall opinion is because im also gonna need a kit over the winter n im collecting info on suppliers to help me pick the best option. thanks for the info man n the bike is on its way to looking great!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 9:29 PM Thread Starter

I actually order ALL of my plastics on aliexpress.com, just make sure you buy the injection molded ones and NOT THE COMPRESSION molded ones. The fit that i've had with them has been SPOT on, there is a SLIGHT variation compared to oem paint though. If you're replacing everything then it doesn't matter.

I paid $150 to have my tank done, and $100 for my wheel. I also take my paint guy something to paint almost weekly, so he hooks me up. but it shouldn't be a whole lot more than that by another body guy.

As far as the exhaust, It definitely lost a little bit of low end, but the bike is more for show and riding around to enjoy, it's not a track bike or anything. I love my exhaust LOUD AS HELL! lol, most people find it annoying, but I find that people in their cars are much more aware when I'm around, which I think has saved my ass a couple times on pull outs and whatnot. I also have a power commander so that should be helping out with the power loss a little i would assume
post #11 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

I just cut it off on an angle, pulled the little bit of packing out and the inner exhaust tube, then i cleaned up the edges with a dremel then sanded the whole rear section with a piece of 600 grit sandpaper and shes looks good as new.
post #12 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I've just done a similar repsol build to my 954 and bought new Chinese injection molded plastics and got the tank and wheels painted locally.
I'll post pics in another thread.
Strangely, I too have found that my doesn't work anymore.
Did you find out what the problem is with yours?

my bike
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
post #13 of 36 Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Whenever you post those pics up, shoot me the link to the thread I'd like to check them out.

But I didn't get around to checking out the tach yet, hopefully its an easy fix, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that it might be an internal issue in the cluster. Time will tell.
post #14 of 36 Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Mine isn't in the cluster.
I have checked the voltage coming out of the ECM (ECU) on the yellow green wire to the tacho and it is 1.16V.
And it isn't changing with revs.
The manual says it should be 10.5V minimum.
Also I have a wire running from that wire to my Veypor which also should be showing RPM and isn't.
When I replaced the undertail I had to take out the ECM from its hidey hole and I'm thinking that perhaps I've dislodged some crud or a component inside it.
I'm thinking the only way to find out is to try a replacement ECM.
I think I can pick one up at a wreckers for around $150.

my bike
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
post #15 of 36 Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I didn't think of it being in the ecu but I suppose mine could be the same problem. I'm gonna check tomorrow after work and see what I can figure out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page