Can a shorty slip-on ruin valves? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Can a shorty slip-on ruin valves?

A guy that "knows bikes" recently told me I should go back to stock exhaust because I'm "ruining my valves"... Is this true??? I have a micron shorty exhaust with no power commander. Been running the micron for over a year with no problem, bike has been GREAT.

2001 CBR 929rr

2004 CBR 1000rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Re: Can a shorty slip-on ruin valves?

No, a shotry muffler will not ruin your valves, but it will contribute to poor fueling which can over time aid in the process of parts wearing, but so does startng your bike everytime you ride it. You say it runs good, so why worry, if anything, have it tuned and no more worries.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

It could theoretically cause a lean condition (which could cause the added heat that burns out exhaust valves) if the engine is breathing that much better with the new can.
Im doubting length of can would be an issue so much as the change in baffles and internal diametres,if applicable - but of course i may have just made all that up.
As stated one post above, best to have a tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2014, 2:46 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Lean running causes a few gradual wear issues that do come prematurely. It varies. I've seen holes burned through pistons many times, and have done many valve jobs. Some takes weeks, some take years. Ride it another year and see if you have valve wear or a hole in the piston, and if it's still good, go another year, and so forth until you do burn a valve. It just takes time when running lean. If you run it hard at sustained high speed, you can speed up the process if you like. If you want to see the difference, try a power commander, it might run even better than great. I hear this comment every day.
Never have I seen one customer say "Oh this sucks now, take that power commander off, I never needed it." They all go, "Wow, what a difference, it's so much more responsive." Support your local repair shop, one way, or the other. People screw hookers every day and wonder when they'll get HIV.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2014, 4:29 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

You won't run lean just from putting on a slip on, it takes intake mods (more air in w/o adding more fuel) to cause a lean condition. Look for a VERY fast temp increase, even on initial cold start-up. the temp reading will climb 2-3 degrees every second or faster, Your exhaust tip could be light grey/whitish in color, your plugs could also be this colour.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2014, 1:50 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
You won't run lean just from putting on a slip on, it takes intake mods (more air in w/o adding more fuel) to cause a lean condition. Look for a VERY fast temp increase, even on initial cold start-up. the temp reading will climb 2-3 degrees every second or faster, Your exhaust tip could be light grey/whitish in color, your plugs could also be this colour.

I dont have any of those conditions. Just a lumpy idle here and there. Jerky throttle and such. But thats another story.

2001 CBR 929rr

2004 CBR 1000rr
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2014, 3:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

S'fine then.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-10-2014, 3:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Look for "pepper" on the plugs.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino929 View Post
A guy that "knows bikes" recently told me I should go back to stock exhaust because I'm "ruining my valves"... Is this true??? I have a micron shorty exhaust with no power commander. Been running the micron for over a year with no problem, bike has been GREAT.

The guy is an idiot.
Ask him to explain exactly how you are ruining your valves...

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page