My Electrical Hell - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 1:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

My Electrical Hell

So since getting the bike, I've been having charging issues. But I thought that was the least of my issues. Yesterday, while out leaving, suddenly the bike wouldn't start again. I check the starter solenoid, and the fuse is blown. No problem, I replace it, but yet still no power.

I get the bike home on a trailer, pull the seat off, and attach the charger just for laughs. Suddenly... Power! But it wont start, you can hear the relay tripping like the speed of light. Hmm...

I dig deeper and tear of the side to look at the previous owner's wiring job, and my jaw hit the floor.

Everything is direct wired to the components. The rectifier is connected directly with spade terminals. Same with the starter.

So now I'm undertaking the task of replacing all the damaged components. Anyone know where I can get the factory connectors? The factor plugs?

While I'm working on this, I'm basically going to be replacing the entire back set of wiring, the starter solenoid, the rectifier, and the stator. Any tips on getting out of this the easier/cheapest?
Attached Thumbnails
20141009_120611.jpg‎   20141009_120615.jpg‎   20141009_120636.jpg‎  

1999 CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 1:39 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: My Electrical Hell

When i replaced mine i found the connections on amazon.

But heres a site i found along the way that has them

R/R Connectors

Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Newway%C2%AE-R...Plug+Connector

Last edited by Tac2cul; 10-09-2014 at 1:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 5:08 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

All the connectirs are available in some form or another on eBay. I got mine right from Honda, but that was by my choice. But I'm not sure about the starter relay connector.

The starter solenoid connector is available as well on eBay. There have been a few guys here to buy all 3. Look at Manishway's posts about his charging/wiring problems. Same stuff you're going through.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 10-09-2014 at 5:11 PM. Reason: Wrong pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

yeah you can find all the connectors on ebay pretty easy. they are cheap to buy as well. just do a good job when you put them in place. i personally would recommend heat shrink tubing and a good soldering. they make some pretty crazy connectors these days that have a conductive grease built right into them that might be ok to keep the elements out and the corrosion at bay. but cheap butt connectors being different type a metal with al, that current running thru them wont hold up well.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 11:20 PM

lol those pics are a perfect example of how not to rewire a honda charging system! i have seen worse, ill say that. i worked on a friends gsxr 750 that had a melt down n when i got in there, im not joking, there was wiring from a house lamp running from the stator to the r/r n where it had been chopped into the original harness the wires were twisted together, covered in black tape and had pieces of wood in between each of the three yellow wires keeping them apart. lol the black tape was so hard from being melted into the twisted wires it crumbled apart like a dirt clod of something. made yours look like a pro job.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM

here are some a those gel filled connectors i mentioned. to be honest i havent used them on this kinda application. they are as mentioned gel filled to keep out the elements and self stripping so you basically just put the wire in and push it closed n it locks together. they are flame and heat resistant. i still think just solder n heat shrink tube is best but if you must use a connector i think id try something like these out

3M Scotchlok 314 IDC Connector 50 Piece Box | eBay

post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2014, 1:13 PM Thread Starter

I'll look into soldering them. Granted, I literally have a warehouse full of different butt connectors, electrical tape, and other electrician tools. Working for an electrical contractor has it's ups and downs.

1999 CBR900RR
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2014, 6:35 PM Thread Starter

I've gone ahead and ordered a new stator, rectifier, starter relay, and harnesses for both. Should be in sometime in the next week or so. Then we get to play the magical game of "did I kill my ecu with this shoddy wiring?"

1999 CBR900RR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page