929 won't start-What to check - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-12-2014, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 won't start-What to check

Well, pulled my tank back too far to get to the airbox to replace the air filter and busted the fuel return hose. After sufficiently bathing myself in gasoline I replaced that hose as well as the vent hose to the evap canister (It's a CA model). Now she won't start. Engine is turning over strongly, but just won't start. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on.

Here is what I have done:
-Check all the hoses for kinks, looks OK
-Looked to see if I pulled any wires out when I pulled the tank back too far. Everything looks OK
-Bank angle sensor looks OK

In the interest of full disclosure a couple of other things that were touched since the last time it ran I thought I should mention:
-Removed the O2 sensor and put an O2 sensor eliminator. I put a bolt in the pipe. Should have done this when I installed my power commander III
-Removed the tail section to rewire the tail light/turn signals.
-Replaced the turn signal flash relay with an aftermarket one
-Removed and reinstalled the battery

I'm guessing it's just not getting fuel, but not sure why. What would you check?

Last edited by davbib; 10-12-2014 at 8:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-13-2014, 3:03 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 won't start-What to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbib View Post
Well, pulled my tank back too far to get to the airbox to replace the air filter and busted the fuel return hose. After sufficiently bathing myself in gasoline I replaced that hose as well as the vent hose to the evap canister (It's a CA model). Now she won't start. Engine is turning over strongly, but just won't start. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on.

Here is what I have done:
-Check all the hoses for kinks, looks OK
-Looked to see if I pulled any wires out when I pulled the tank back too far. Everything looks OK
-Bank angle sensor looks OK

In the interest of full disclosure a couple of other things that were touched since the last time it ran I thought I should mention:
-Removed the O2 sensor and put an O2 sensor eliminator. I put a bolt in the pipe. Should have done this when I installed my power commander III
-Removed the tail section to rewire the tail light/turn signals.
-Replaced the turn signal flash relay with an aftermarket one
-Removed and reinstalled the battery

I'm guessing it's just not getting fuel, but not sure why. What would you check?

Any codes on the dash?
Kill switch is on?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 19 Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

No codes on the dash. Kill switch? Man, that would be embarrassing. I always leave it on. I'll have to check it when I get home, but the starter is cranking. I don't recall if it will crank with the kill switch off.

Just for Fun, I went home at lunch and the kill switch right where I left it, in the on position. Fuses all look OK and although I did end up draining a lot of gas, my low fuel isn't on. Maybe I'll throw in a gallon of gas just for the heck of it.

Now what?

Last edited by davbib; 10-13-2014 at 4:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-13-2014, 8:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

If you can hear the pump prime, and you checked all your hoses, then are you sure you're getting spark? See if she fires on a little blast of starting fluid?
post #5 of 19 Old 10-13-2014, 8:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
If you can hear the pump prime, and you checked all your hoses, then are you sure you're getting spark? See if she fires on a little blast of starting fluid?
Thanks. I was gonna try that just for kicks. Seems like it would be fuel related since I that is what I messed with but a little starting fluid is an easy check.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-18-2014, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Fresh gas, no help. I did get her to fire with some starter fluid, so it's getting a spark and not fuel. Suggestions on what to tackle next?
post #7 of 19 Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Bump
post #8 of 19 Old 11-01-2014, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

OK guys- new pressure regulator, new fuel hose, new fuel return hose, new fuel filter. Nada. No codes, she wants to start with a little starter fluid so she just isn't getting fuel. Ideas? Anyone!
post #9 of 19 Old 11-01-2014, 7:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Make sure you are not crimping a fuel hose or squashing one when you refit the fuel tank and that you have connected the lines correctly, remove one line at a time to check that there is no metal/rust swarfes from the tank blocking a line.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-01-2014, 8:19 PM

I'm stumped. I know you've probably checked and rechecked your hoses and routing. Pump primes, right? You mentioned you could hear it.
There's a test in the manual that has you check for fuel volume by disconnecting the fuel supply hose (at the injectors, irrc), and running the fuel pump for a certain amount of time. Then you measure how much fuel is in the pale and see if it's enough. A fuel pressure test may be in order too.

But it still sounds like blockage of some sort. Weird... Injectors? Kickstand switch?
post #11 of 19 Old 11-01-2014, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, kind of a mystery. I would think if it was getting not enough fuel it would kick a bit, but it's just cranking (unless I give it a shot of starter fluid) so I think tomorrow I'll disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and see if it's got any fuel there at all.

Any chance my power commander went bad and it's causing this? It's powering up and everything but now I gotta start looking at least likely.

I'll double check the hoses again, but since I just replaced then I'm pretty sure that's not it.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-02-2014, 3:54 AM
hmk

Could be unrelated, but how does you spark plugs look? Always nice to check their colour for diagnosing

Ride safe!
post #13 of 19 Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbib View Post
Yeah, kind of a mystery. I would think if it was getting not enough fuel it would kick a bit, but it's just cranking (unless I give it a shot of starter fluid) so I think tomorrow I'll disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and see if it's got any fuel there at all.

Any chance my power commander went bad and it's causing this? It's powering up and everything but now I gotta start looking at least likely.

I'll double check the hoses again, but since I just replaced then I'm pretty sure that's not it.
I would definitely unplug the power commander to eliminate it from the equation. That's a basic part of diagnosing most problems a bike may have. process of elimination
post #14 of 19 Old 11-02-2014, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I would definitely unplug the power commander to eliminate it from the equation. That's a basic part of diagnosing most problems a bike may have. process of elimination
Thanks Jon. I'll try that next weekend and let you know what I discover. Ran out of time today.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-02-2014, 6:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

anytime someone has a FI related problem my first piece of advice is to unhook the pc. ive seen it with my own eyes more than once where it fixes the problem.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page