Accidentally Bought A '98 900RR... Help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 1:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Accidentally Bought A '98 900RR... Help!

Hey guys, I've been browsing these forums (though usually in the F4 section) for the past few weeks because I was looking at making my FIRST EVER MOTORCYCLE PURCHASE
Anyways, have I got a story for you! (I'm also looking for a bit of advice, so if you just want to hear my pleas then skip to the last paragraph).

Some background on me: I'm 19, a bartender, training to be an RCMP Officer, and most importantly I was looking to buy my first bike (privately off Craigslist of course). So I find this listing for this MINT CONDITION 1999 CBR 600. I look at it, looks nice. Me and the seller go back and forth, I get him down to a lowly 1700, he drops it off, we transfer papers, all is well.
Until I look up the VIN. I hadn't done this prior because the previous owner is a welder by trade and has owned and restored several bikes, done a tune up on this one, and insisted it had been garage stored most of it's life (only 30,00km on it). You may call me stupid for trusting him, but I did. So anyways, I look up the VIN... and as it would turn out it's NOT a '99 600 F4 BUT A '98 CBR 900RR FIREBLADE. I couldn't tell the cosmetic difference being a newbie, and I couldn't compare the difference in size having only sat on a 250cc before.
So that's my story. Now I have this 900RR that I need to do some oil and coolant changes on, and no idea how to ride it/what to expect. I took it round the block and hit 70km/h in first gear...

I digress. My point is, any pointers for learning to ride this beast? Also, what coolant and oil should I use in it? I'm interested in motors but not particularly learned, specifically when it comes to motorcycles. Help a brother out I'm a very level headed individual and I'm also extraordinarily aware of my own mortality, particularly now that I have a 900cc bike...

Just wanted to introduce myself, say hi and that I'll be around for a while (hopefully ), and ask for any pointers! I'll be riding this mother****er like a grandmother for the next month I'm sure.

Last edited by TheSurpriseCBR; 10-16-2014 at 1:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 1:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 1:48 AM Thread Starter

Re: Accidentally Bought A '98 900RR... Help!

That's the only one I've got for now, I'll take more tomorrow. Some minor cosmetic damage (one ding, a couple of small scratches, need to replace the windscreen due to cracks) but other than that it's great, and I think for $1700 it's a steal. PLUS came with a Yoshi RS-3 exhaust that he didn't mention in the ad so... win for me. I was looking at one anyways.

Last edited by TheSurpriseCBR; 10-16-2014 at 2:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 1:54 AM

No picture came through, but yeah, sounds like a great deal. I just was wondering why the misrepresentation is all. I would much rather have the 900 over the 600 too. They can both get you in trouble if you're overly confident and not have the skills to match.

Either way, take care of her and she will do the same. Good luck and have fun.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 1:57 AM Thread Starter

I think he genuinely didn't know. Said he got it off his buddy (who I would assume told him it was a 600) and I guess he never questioned it. Why would you. And if I hadn't checked the VIN, I wouldn't have questioned it either. If you have nothing to compare how would you know. The only thing that tipped me off were the stickers because whereas all the F4's have "F4" on the side, this had "RR Fireblade" and from all my googling I found that "600RR Fireblade"s don't exist, but that all the 900cc models from that time were referred to as "Fireblade" SO I put two and two together and... yeah. Lucky me? I'm still a little frightened by it but I'll definitely respect it, particularly now that I've felt the insane amount of torque.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 2:03 AM

Oh hell yeah! Picture works now, that is an awesome bike, especially for that price. DAMN! I am jealous for sure... Just take your time, you have a great bike there.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 3:39 AM

Reputation Power: 6

Wow, you must be happy he made a mistake as it's a nice bike you've got there. I've got the 1999 model, they are easy to ride and very forgiving if you make a mistake. My advice would be to get some decent tyres on it as they will make a big difference and give you some confidence in corners. I've got bridgestone s20's on mine and they're awesome. If it's got the original front wheel it'll be a 16 inch, if not it'll be a 17 inch wheel which means it will have been converted at some point. Some people change the 16 inch wheel as it gives you more choices of tyres and because they prefer it. In terms of oil, I've used Castrol before but last year switched to Motul and I prefer it so I'd recommend the Motul oil. Other than that, just enjoy the ride. It's a great bike that fits in between a 600 and the litre class these days.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 3:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Couldn't resist the thread title, I had to see how someone "accidentaly" buys a bike, figured if it was good I could buy another bike and tell the wife I "accidentaly" bought it.

Congrats, looks like a deal. I'm a little surprised that the seller who you said had owned and restored several other bikes didn't know what he had. Does all your paperwork match the vin tag on the bike, pink slip and registration? Learn safely.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 10-16-2014 at 3:47 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 3:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Congrats, looks like a deal. I'm a little surprised that the seller who you said had restored other bikes didn't know what he had. Does all your paperwork match the vin tag on the bike, pink slip and registration? Learn safely.
I get the feeling that he VASTLY exaggerated his prior experiences with motorcycles because when I took it round the block and back to my garage, I saw that the oil pressure light was on, checked the oil and found that it was BLACK, then promptly called him and he said he hadn't changed it since he got the bike (FOUR YEARS AGO) so I think he's full of it haha. So I figured that the coolant and brake fluids hadn't been changed in equally as long, so I'm gonna do all of those (but let the garage do the brakes... kinda freaks me out ****ing with them)
post #10 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 3:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSurpriseCBR View Post
I get the feeling that he VASTLY exaggerated his prior experiences with motorcycles because when I took it round the block and back to my garage, I saw that the oil pressure light was on, checked the oil and found that it was BLACK, then promptly called him and he said he hadn't changed it since he got the bike (FOUR YEARS AGO) so I think he's full of it haha. So I figured that the coolant and brake fluids hadn't been changed in equally as long, so I'm gonna do all of those (but let the garage do the brakes... kinda freaks me out ****ing with them)
Definately change all the fluids, take the time to look it over for other signs of neglected maintenance.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #11 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 4:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Definately change all the fluids, take the time to look it over for other signs of neglected maintenance.
Any pointers on where to start? Seemed to ride fine. I think I'm going to get the shop to give it a once-over when I'm there for the brakes, way I see it since it came with the $400 Yoshi exhaust that I was planning on buying anyways I'm $400 in the black, so I can afford to have it checked out. Besides, if the guy didn't even know what bike he had odds are he didn't do much maintenance to it.
But as I said, any pointers where to start? Everything FEELS solid, but like I said this is my first bike so I have no frame of reference.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 8:30 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Garage

Congrats on a steal and enjoy it!! Yes have a mechanic check it out before you take it out for a serious ride.

Kevin
2001 Honda CBR 929rr Repsol Edition (Arielle)
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...back-life.html
post #13 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

well first off nice looking bike man! the cbr 900 is one of the funnest bikes there is to ride imo, its plenty fast enough and just has a lot of character.

first thing youll want to do is get a service manual or dl one from the net. shouldnt be to hard to find.

def have all the fluids changed n id look into getting some new tires as well. if the ones on there are old they get hard with age n that means slippery. just stick with oem filters. you might wanna change the plugs as well. couldnt hurt.

just take your time learning. its very easy to get all ham fisted n think your a tt rider but if you find yourself in trouble(and you will) you dont wanna have a whole buncha speed behind you when your learning how to deal with those "o sh1t" moments every rider has. with experience comes speed. n my biggest piece of advice we all learn the importance of eventually is WATCH EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD. i cant tell you enough that people in cars arent looking for mc's on the road. people in cars are looking for other cars. its hard to see something you dont look for. so its up to you to ride like your invisible because you may as well be to people in cars. that means people pulling across your lane, people pulling out from side streets or gas stations or really any and all cars need to be treated like they are going to do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time. keep that in mind out there buddy n youll be better prepared when it does happen.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2014, 12:16 AM

Reputation Power: 6

awesome buy man just like my deal i got an 03 954 for 2300$!!!!!!!!!!!! I stole that thing and i love every bit of it. here are a few pics day that i got it and just yesterday fresh out of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
20140808_112938.jpg‎   20141015_095711.jpg‎  

Last edited by faststang71; 10-17-2014 at 12:23 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-17-2014, 2:04 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Well, I guess that's one way to get a 900RR! even if you didn't know it!

my first recommendation is to get a service manual. You will find (being a self described level headed kind of guy) that most of the maintenance/repair is very easily learned. It will keep you "in touch" with the bike, and it makes the winters go by faster when your sleeping with it in th basement or garage, dreaming of bigger pistons, hot cams, and Ohlins suspension........oooops sorry, that's my dream.

Coolant should be motorcycle specific, or at least one with NO silicates. Honda makes a good (expensive) 50/50 premix coolant. Any good dot 3 or 4 brake fluid will be fine. Brake pads are VERY easy to remove and replace. If you do go the route of doing it yourself, Sears has ratchet style torque wrenches that can be had at reasonable prices and work well. I don't mess around when tightening brake calipers and pad pins/retainers.

Great pick up, be smart and ride safe. It will knock your socks off before you realize what happened. Great bike, and good luck.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page