Wiring harness is shot, what now? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Wiring harness is shot, what now?

So I've been going through the expensive process of repairing a neglected bike. I stripped off the fairings, and I could feel my wallet getting lighter by the second.

The wires, nearly all of them are melted, all the way from the battery, to the fuse box. Then from the fuse box to the starter relay, rectifier, and stato . Everything is melted.

So... I'm sitting at nearly $3,500 in on this bike so far... What do I do? What do I need to buy?

1999 CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 8:20 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Wiring harness is shot, what now?

That's a rhetorical question, right? (oh please say no)
post #3 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 9:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Bad luck my friend.

Sell it and cut your losses.
Or part it out.
Or go to a MC salvage yard and get a wiring harness.

Might want to try to figure out why it fried. Too much voltage? Bad stator? Bad reg/rec? Those can be tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I have brand new stator, a brand new rectifier, and a new starter relay. Just got done installing all three, I traced the wire back pretty far when replacing them, but it appears not quite far enough. It looks like the damage is pretty old up further on the harness, and when I was shuffling around the wires, it managed to move them enough to make physical contact.

So after the battery got connected, all hell broke loose, and finished off the rest of the harness. I managed to get it disconnected in seconds, but not nearly fast enough to avoid destroying essentially the entire harness and fuse box.

1999 CBR900RR
post #5 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 11:12 PM

That's some crappy luck right there. Sorry bout that man. Must feel pretty defeating.
You're this far into it, if you like the bike enough, get a used harness. With a promise it's good or your money or exchange in return. (If possible)

Edit: You know, you may have fried some other components besides just the harness. Like the instrument cluster, or any other number of things. I guess you'ld have to test them. Maybe more investigation is needed before you buy another harness and fuse box.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Luck is finding a capable wife that lives longer than you, finding hidden treasure near old Spanish wrecks along a reef, missing a minivan running a red light, etc.

Buying a worthy motorcycle takes knowledge, or heeding sound advice, or possessing mechanical ability, or paying a good mechanic for a thorough evaluation before impulsive spending wins over logic.

You can see this coming when he started his first thread a month ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsfighter View Post
Parents are flipping their lid (21 year old adult), saying that spending a total of around $4000 on a 1999 bike is massively overpaying.
True adults don't have to mention that they are adults. Remember when you thought 21 was old?
Emotional choices are stronger than his cognitive development.
Perhaps home issues drove his decision process down this road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
When you get older you'll absolutely look back on that decision with regret. Take their advice into consideration. You could buy a good running bike with $4000, and it wouldn't be 15 years old or even need paint. They seem to be wise parents if you ask me.
Why was that ignored when "cutting losses" was feasible a month ago, and $3500 ahead?
His project will be set aside. When despair sets in, he will seek a new obsession to comfort his despair, and the situation just happens all over again.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Luck is finding a capable wife that lives longer than you, finding hidden treasure near old Spanish wrecks along a reef, missing a minivan running a red light, etc.

Buying a worthy motorcycle takes knowledge, or heeding sound advice, or possessing mechanical ability, or paying a good mechanic for a thorough evaluation before impulsive spending wins over logic.

You can see this coming when he started his first thread a month ago:

True adults don't have to mention that they are adults. Remember when you thought 21 was old?
Emotional choices are stronger than his cognitive development.
Perhaps home issues drove his decision process down this road?

Why was that ignored when "cutting losses" was feasible a month ago, and $3500 ahead?
His project will be set aside. When despair sets in, he will seek a new obsession to comfort his despair, and the situation just happens all over again.
I don't tend to give up on things like this. Rather, I just try to find solutions that will be more affordable. At this point I feel like I've put too much time, money, and effort into it to really give up.

1999 CBR900RR
post #8 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
True adults don't have to mention that they are adults.Remember when you thought 21 was old?
Blunt - seems like you have forgotten what it is like to be 21!

Jdsfighter - I do agree that based on the information available it may have perhaps been wiser to avoid this bike and buy a newer and less abused bike.

However, any vehicle is much like a large mecanno / Lego set with a little electrics thrown in. Most people can build Lego sets (even one with batteries and motors), so if have a manual, a few tools and (if you are lucky a few knowledgeable friends) there is no reason why this bike cannot be a great learning curve for you.

Like many I was taught to rebuild engines by my father helping him first to repair/rebuild his cars and then my motorbikes. Trial and error has also proved a frustrating and ultimately informative method of learning (and remembering). The sense of satisfaction in the achievement is also worthwhile.

As the saying goes (or at least something along these lines):

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

Or in this case the cause of learning to do it yourself.

My advice would be:

1) Take a good hard look at the bike and work out what it needs (or is likely to need) to finish to the standard you want

2) Value the parts (and time - if you are learning estimate the time for a professional and treble it, then add some for figuring stuff out, getting tools etc)

3) realistically value the bike as it stands (scrap, parting out, whatever)

4) then compare to what you can buy for that money

This should give you a good idea as to whether to sell it and buy another.

If it is still better to keep what you already have, that is the way to go (unless you can afford to put yourself on a bike that runs well now!).

If you continue to refurbish your bike - evilbay can be a good source of parts if you are prepared to wait for the right part (at a reasonable price)...

Good luck!
post #9 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Electrical problems are the most complex and frustrating to deal with. Unless you're in cali or Florida this is a season lost. You can look at it as knowing when It's time to let go, not quit. Or, just keep trying and I'm sure you'll find the help you need here.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Blunt, my parents reasons for being angry were massively invalid. They do not wish for me to spend my money in any shape or form. If my vehicle were to break down tomorrow, they would chastise me for purchasing a new one, or even repairing the one I have.

They did not want me to purchase a motorcycle, period. They provided no real reason for me not to.

As for what I've spent since I got the bike, the running total is pretty moderate.

Bike
Bike - $2,300
Rear Tail Light - $50
Brakes - $200
Stator - $125
Rectifier - $25
Starter Relay - $25
Misc Harnesses - $25

Equipment
Helmet - $200
Jacket - $150
Boots - $100
Gloves - $50

Misc
Insurance - $300
Registration - $50
MSF - $300
Misc - $100

Blunt, the issue is, I have a considerably higher take-home pay than my parents combined. I'm not in debt, I have a considerable nest egg, and more than provide for myself. My financial state is good. I took my parents concerns into account, however, the bike had already been purchased prior to them getting upset. At that point, there was no going back. Regardless, that really shouldn't play a factor hear. Did I make a mistake buying the bike? Absolutely. But was it buying a bike itself that was the problem? No, it was that I didn't thoroughly inspect it at the time of purchase.

I make decisions not based on wants, but out of necessity. I have an aging vehicle that I'd much rather not replace at this point, it gets 4mpg, and is highly uneconomical for me to drive. I purchased a motorcycle to primarily save on gas, but chose a sports bike due to appearances and function. The amount of gas I would potentially save alone makes up for the cost of the bike, as well as save added wear and tear on my vehicle.

Where I stand now is simple, I want a bike. I have no qualms with selling this one off, and purchasing another. Going over the bike, there is only two real issues I seem to be presented with: cosmetic (needs paint and plastics) and electrical (needs a new main harness). The bike has been running fine for weeks, with the only issues I've encountered being due to electrical failure. The bike has been inspected, and nearly everything mechanical on the bike is in tip top shape.

So my question stands, do I fix? Or do I try to sell?

1999 CBR900RR

Last edited by jdsfighter; 10-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 1:03 PM

Equipment and insurance would presumably be the same for any 98/99 blade, and the cost of the bike does not seem unreasonable - anything between 1000 and 2000 seems to be an average price, really scruffy blades a little cheaper, really tidy (and hopeful) a little more...

Can't say whether it is a good buy or not - when I added the cost of the mods I have done to my RRR blade for the insurance this year, I could easily haves aced the money and spent it on an RR4/5/6 model (with the funds from selling my RRR). I haven't done this because I like the slight differences that make it my bike (even if many of the mods are the same as those others have done - inspiration from LC, Cbrsmurf, Sime and Sideshowbob - thanks guys)....

I would suggest find a breaker with a decent loom to sell you, and see if you can get most or all the electrics and ancillaries (stator, relays, cdi, regulator rectifier) thrown in for a reasonable price or perhaps a cheap crashed bike that you can salvage the loom and ancilliaries from... This way you have a good chance of a reasonable electrical system...

Or - don't ditch the old loom, maybe someone can make you a loom from it (given you have all the connectors etc)...

And of course, it goes without saying a bike in need of tlc is a worthy case for some minor and tasteful modifications/improvements (whatever floats your boat)....
post #12 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 1:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
Equipment and insurance would presumably be the same for any 98/99 blade, and the cost of the bike does not seem unreasonable - anything between 1000 and 2000 seems to be an average price, really scruffy blades a little cheaper, really tidy (and hopeful) a little more...

Can't say whether it is a good buy or not - when I added the cost of the mods I have done to my RRR blade for the insurance this year, I could easily haves aced the money and spent it on an RR4/5/6 model (with the funds from selling my RRR). I haven't done this because I like the slight differences that make it my bike (even if many of the mods are the same as those others have done - inspiration from LC, Cbrsmurf, Sime and Sideshowbob - thanks guys)....

I would suggest find a breaker with a decent loom to sell you, and see if you can get most or all the electrics and ancillaries (stator, relays, cdi, regulator rectifier) thrown in for a reasonable price or perhaps a cheap crashed bike that you can salvage the loom and ancilliaries from... This way you have a good chance of a reasonable electrical system...

Or - don't ditch the old loom, maybe someone can make you a loom from it (given you have all the connectors etc)...

And of course, it goes without saying a bike in need of tlc is a worthy case for some minor and tasteful modifications/improvements (whatever floats your boat)....
What do you mean by loom?

1999 CBR900RR
post #13 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 1:34 PM

Loom = wiring harness
post #14 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 2:02 PM

If you are considering rebuilding the loom with new wiring, the aerospace guys lay them out on a board and make a pattern out of pins (along the wiring run - this way you get the right lengths etc to the various branches and can easily trace one wire through without altering its position relative to the other wiring.... Down side is it means taking it off the bike....
Just a thought....
post #15 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsfighter View Post
I have no qualms with selling this one off, and purchasing another.
So my question stands, do I fix? Or do I try to sell?
If the rest of the bike is fine,
all you need is a wiring harness, paint,
then you're in the home stretch and just keep on going.

You can buy an OEM one for a lot of money, or make your own for a lot of time. Personally, some tasks I enjoy, this would not be one of them.

If you do punt, you could pull your money out of the bike. Gear is still with you as well as your endorsement, those aren't part of the bike.

When are you taking vacation? Negotiate a good price on this, bring it down to my place for $5800, (700 miles) and I'll fix your bike free while you relax on the beach. Wiring problem solved, but at 4 mpg towing two bikes, probably not worthwhile. I can't find a Thunderbird in my area at all.
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/4720227990.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page