just so everyone knows... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 8:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

just so everyone knows...

just letting my fine forum friends know that i finally found a pipe offa ebay for my 954. i know many of you were super concerned with my current smashed oem pipe situation and had been following my relentless search for a replacement.

so i got a d&d for 90$ that looks brand new. its the aluminum can. i cant stand the d&d badge so i think ill just chop the can off right behind the badge n paint that sucker black. any suggestions on what kinda paint i should use? anyway, i hope its as loud as i hear they are. the oem pipe was killin me.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 9:14 PM Thread Starter

Re: just so everyone knows...

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Got mine powder coated for $50 matte black. Mid pipe ceramic coated too. I'm very happy.
And yes, a D&D on a Honda is a monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

so you probably know, do i need to cut off the spark arrestor to get the pipe on there? n if so do i just take a hack saw to it?

post #5 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 6:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

If you don't like the D&D plaque why don't you drill out the pop rivets remove the sign and fit a couple of rivets or self tappers back in there, you can get heat proof paint that can be purchased from your local auto store but powder coating will be a better longer lasting solution.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 3:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Cut that bitch in half, remove baffles (if there are any), it still wont be too loud if the wadding is good.
As mentioned, heat proof paint, like engine enamel or caliper paint is pretty resilient stuff when cured properly (and prepped properly). I went for the "brushed" look on mine, repacked it with something called "acoustafil" Its actually quieter than before, even though the old fiberglass packing was ok, which was slightly dissapointing.
Attached Thumbnails
muffler packing 002.jpg‎   muffler packing 003.jpg‎   muffler packing 005.jpg‎   001.jpg‎  

post #7 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 3:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I'm surprised that powdercoating actually withstands the exhaust heat. It is normally baked on at 450F, I guess that is considerable hotter than our pipes (at least the can) get. I know if you powdercoat headers on a car or motorcycle it'll instantly flake off when the engine is up to operating temp!

I would just get some engine enamel and spray etching. The spray etcher actually gives the paint a surface that it can adhere to, usually followed by a primer (high temp of course), then a few coats of engine enamel. The good thing about either route is that you can actually have many different colour options as well! Not sure about D&D on the 954s, I've had 2 different two-bros and now the arata. The two bros shorty pipe (CF) that I had seemed louder than my full Arata that's on now, but they both have different tones... Sound clips.. we need sound clips! And pics! Always need pics!s

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #8 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 4:31 PM Thread Starter

im in process of rebuilding after my get off. the last two things are the tank and plastics. depending on the plastic kit i might get the rims powder coated to match. the plastics barely took damage and the tank just got one little scratch/dent. probably do those last two over the winter.

so far ive replaced the right clip-on, throttle tube, frame sliders, rear seat n just ordered the d&d on ebay. my front rim has been at wills rim repair in nc for 42 days now getting straightened. im kinda concerned but i did tell him it was no rush. but im wishing i hadnt now. my wrist is better after the surgery, good enough to ride anyway, n im dying to get out n enjoy a last few rides before it turns full on winter.

im thinking of doing a repsol theme just to change it up a bit. i love the black n titanium but something different would be cool. anyway, once i get it together at least to on the ground ill throw up some picks or a short video.

im slightly concerned about the forks. when i hung the front end up n took the rim off the bike to send it off i didnt pay a lot of attention but now when the axle is slid into the forks and its flush with the axle bolt side the axle is in too far my about an 1/8th" on the other side? it doesnt sit flush on the outsides of both forks. im holding off my verdict until i get the rim back n the bike is on the ground n not hanging by the upper tripple clamp to see if it settles back in where it should be?

post #9 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 4:41 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Paint it match this pictures precisely.
Attached Thumbnails
2bro.jpg‎  
post #10 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

lol, you know im not a huge fan of the two brothers on the 954. i had a two brothers on my gsxr n it sounded great, just dont think the 2bros fits the 954 for some reason? aesthetically i mean.

post #11 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 5:42 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
I'm surprised that powdercoating actually withstands the exhaust heat. It is normally baked on at 450F, I guess that is considerable hotter than our pipes (at least the can) get. I know if you powdercoat headers on a car or motorcycle it'll instantly flake off when the engine is up to operating temp!

I would just get some engine enamel and spray etching. The spray etcher actually gives the paint a surface that it can adhere to, usually followed by a primer (high temp of course), then a few coats of engine enamel. The good thing about either route is that you can actually have many different colour options as well! Not sure about D&D on the 954s, I've had 2 different two-bros and now the arata. The two bros shorty pipe (CF) that I had seemed louder than my full Arata that's on now, but they both have different tones... Sound clips.. we need sound clips! And pics! Always need pics!s
the pipe is powder coated and does just fine, the mid pipe i had ceramic coated for the heat.
I cut mine about 2/3rds, took half the packing out, left everything else and had it coated. It was an erion pipe, sounds good
post #12 of 17 Old 10-21-2014, 5:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post

Not if the correct powder is used, silicone powders are good for up to 1000 deg F.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #13 of 17 Old 10-21-2014, 6:58 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
just letting my fine forum friends know that i finally found a pipe offa ebay for my 954. i know many of you were super concerned with my current smashed oem pipe situation and had been following my relentless search for a replacement.

so i got a d&d for 90$ that looks brand new. its the aluminum can. i cant stand the d&d badge so i think ill just chop the can off right behind the badge n paint that sucker black.
happy for ya brutha! ...and it's about friggin' time! nothing against Texas or Texans... but I'm not a fan of the badge either

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #14 of 17 Old 10-21-2014, 8:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
happy for ya brutha! ...and it's about friggin' time! nothing against Texas or Texans... but I'm not a fan of the badge either
i was looking at that top speed racing shorty pipe which didnt look bad, but it was 225 delivered n this d&d might not have been my most wanted pipe(hindle) but it was 90$. i figure its saving me some bread for the tank n plastics and its still a name brand pipe. im not real sure about the build quality of the top speed racing unit. ive spoken with one guy who had one n he didnt hate it but the d&d is pretty well known to be loud which is just what i was wanting. we shall see how it sounds in a few days.

i guess ill need to chop that spark arrestor off the mid pipe. im just gonna wait till the pipe gets here to be sure before i go pulling the mid pipe off n hitting it with a cut-off wheel or hack saw.

regardless i know itll sound a lot better than the oem pipe. it was way too quiet. sure i enjoy hearing the engine work n the intake noise n ll but id love to be able to hear the exhaust while im riding it. its not the most important aspect of riding of course but hearing the jap sport bike inline 4 exyaust note at full level really brings a smile to my face! ive got high hopes for the d&d. from what i gather if any pipe is going to bring the noise the d&d should be it.

post #15 of 17 Old 10-24-2014, 5:53 PM Thread Starter

so i got that d&d in the mail today. it sounds guuuuud. so much better than the oem pipe, which really made it sound like a civic or somethin. the d&d lives up to its reputation, its loud. kinda raspy n crackly in a nice kinda way. it hurts my ear bones just a little! im pretty pleased with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page