CBR 954 Head Swap Could Use Some Advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 7:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR 954 Head Swap Could Use Some Advice

Had a loose plug rattle the threads out of Cylinder 1 so I took it to mechanic to install a helicoil but what he did baffled me.

He glued a plug in cylinder 1 with epoxi. The wrong plug that is and the plug doesn't have a removable cap so the coil pack doesn't fit. Spare me the questions about why he did it. I know already, he's a dumbass.

So removing and replacing the head: what do I need to separate the motor from the frame? Tips tricks any help that doesn't require a shop to do.

Secondly, what all am I getting myself into? How hard.. I want to do the rings while I am at it.

Appreciate the help, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 7:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: CBR 954 Head Swap Could Use Some Advice

Why can you not work the spark plug back and forth until you break the glue then drill and helicoil the thread? You will need to grab a large bolt with two nuts to use on the large frame to engine mounting bolts. You will need to mount the bike so that it is not relying on the back wheel as it needs removal with the engine coming out. Take plenty of pics for reference on reassembly.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 8:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo954 View Post
Why can you not work the spark plug back and forth until you break the glue then drill and helicoil the thread? You will need to grab a large bolt with two nuts to use on the large frame to engine mounting bolts. You will need to mount the bike so that it is not relying on the back wheel as it needs removal with the engine coming out. Take plenty of pics for reference on reassembly.
That's awesome dude thanks. What size bolt will u need? I'm at work now and can make one.

Do I need to unhinge the swing arm and rear shock?

Will I have to dismount the triple trees and forks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 8:24 PM

I think the internal hex size for the mounting bolts are 24mm flat to flat, you will need to remove swing arm and shocker but not need to touch the front end gear at all, hopefully you are able to suspend the frame from the ceiling or similar using a ratchet strap I mounted mine between a multi ladder and a metal cabinet in the garage, 99.9% of electrical connectors are foolproof as they are different but there is one to the injectors which can be swapped with another nearby as I did on reassembly so be careful of that one.
The bike ends up looking like a unicycle with a frame when stripped down remembering that the engine has the rear end mounted off it.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 8:29 PM Thread Starter

LOL.. I am over my head on this for sure but I think you have got so pretty good ideas for me to go with.

Am I going to have to pull the jug completely to re-ring? Is it worth doing any upgrades while in there?
post #6 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 8:50 PM

Do you really need to re-ring the engine? What mileage is on the engine? Was it blowing smoke beforehand? You may want to have the head worked on for better flow then fit a Power Commander and after market free flowing exhaust to get the gasses flowing, regards internal mods you could go on forever with lighter stronger pistons, rods and performance cams but where do you stop. Check your clutch plates whilst you have it apart and check all your hoses in case they need replacing.
Personally I would just fit the helicoil and ride the bike, buy a cheap engine to strip down and rebuild over time while you are riding that way you get to learn about the engine/gearbox at your leisure without cutting into your riding time then it's a matter of swapping over the engine when it suits you and if you don't have a workshop manual get one as it is cheap insurance in making sure all things are what they should be.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

Well it was using a food bit of oil. Was not ready to undertake that quite yet but here we go.

I don't know enough to trust a helicoil. I don't want to do this twice.

I took of the htev valve and servo and it started running a little rich, black smoke, had to clear it out from time to time. I pulled the power commander just before this happened so i didn't get to see if it cleared up.

Think the helicoil will hold?
post #8 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 9:52 PM

The helicoil is a brilliant repair and done right it is a permanent fix, I have done dozens of helicoils years ago in early vee dubs as fitting the wrong brand of spark plug meant pulling the thread with the plug.
The black smoke that you mention is an over rich mixture if it was the rings worn it would be a light blue smoke for burning oil and also an over rich mixture will cause excessive oil usage due to fuel washing down the oil on the cylinder walls as well as possibly diluting the oil.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 9:56 PM Thread Starter

I gotcha. Bike is just over 39,000 miles and was running strong until this.

Do you recommend drilling the whole then a helicoil? What will the helicoil grip to in a smooth bore? Tap it? Size recommendations if you know off hand?
post #10 of 19 Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

yeah the helicoil is a better than original repair when its done right.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #11 of 19 Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol954RR2 View Post
I gotcha. Bike is just over 39,000 miles and was running strong until this.

Do you recommend drilling the whole then a helicoil? What will the helicoil grip to in a smooth bore? Tap it? Size recommendations if you know off hand?
You do need to drill and tap the head for the helicoil to screw to just take your spark plug to where you buy the helicoil and they will size it up for you, it has done a few miles but if it's been serviced regularly and it was running fine before it should be okay with just a helicoil.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 AM

helicoil has threads on the inside(the size of the spark plug) and on the outside. you basically drill the original hole out n tap the hole a couple sizes bigger. the helicoil screws into that n the spark plug screws into the helicoil. since they are made of steal the threads hold up better than the aluminum block so i think its a better than original fix really. its important to keep your bit at a 90 degree angle n i think its best to start with a smaller bit n move up a size at a time. you really dont hafta drill much past the original threads tho. again when you tap it, take your time n use an aluminum cutting fluid to keep from getting the tap stuck. obviously your probably going to need to take the head off because your going to get shavings all down the hole n that would be pretty bad for the engine! everything you need really isnt all that expensive. much cheaper than a new head n is a solid fix. if your not comfortable drilling it out n stuff just find a reputable shop to do it. just not the epoxy the plug in guy! lol probably wouldnt be much once the head is off the engine.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #13 of 19 Old 10-22-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

10 4

Leaves me questioning what to do about the rings. Will I need to have the jug honed out for new rings? I had to put a few ounces of oil in it every ride leading up to this BUT it didn't smoking perfucely. A little puff of white smoke maybe every ten minutes and I would just open it up and it would clear out.

Anything else I should expect to break down on this thing in the near future?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 AM

here is a little pdf file that demonstrates the concept

http://www.noblefix.com/PDF/Helicoil...-Catalogue.pdf

post #15 of 19 Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 AM

Sounds like you may need to do rings but the cylinders have a coating so it is not a simple bore and hone of the cylinders as you will need to have the coating put back on the bores. I think if you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of info regarding the bores.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page