CBR 1k front end on a 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-15-2010
Location: central California
Age: 50
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
   
Send a message via Yahoo to letsride
CBR 1k front end on a 954

I have access to a front end from a 2007 cbr 1k and am thinking about swapping it out on my 954.What all would I need to make it work?
letsride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 2:09 PM
 
Join Date: 09-01-2008
Location: England
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
           
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

I have 954 yokes and cbr1000rr 05 forks on a 94/95 cbr900rrr, using cbr1000rr front wheel, discs, spacers, mudguard, clip ons (954 will fit) and 09 monoblock calipers and master cylinder.

But.... I am not sure what the differences are (if any) between the 2005 and the 2007 blades.

Check fork length, and especially the fork diameter.
saxonblade is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 3:39 PM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

You can actually use anything from the 1000RR front end you wan't but i would use the 954 triples. If you wan't to stay with the 954 brakes and fender you can switch the bottoms of your 954 forks etc. With the 1000RR bottoms you will have to use radial brakes and 1000RR front fender. I have 06 1000RR forks on my 954 with Nissin monoblock radials from 675 Daytona and 1000RR fender. And you will need brake discs from the 1000RR or a spacers to use the 330mm 954 discs. I prefer the 330mm. 1000RR forks are 15-20mm shorter then 954:s so it turns quicker. I'm probably going back to 954 forks and change the bottoms from the 1000RR so i can use these brakes i have now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150001.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	60874
mika_u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 4:12 PM
 
Join Date: 09-01-2008
Location: England
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
           
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Mika_u - what is the difference in damping, compression and rebound between the 954 and 1000rr forks..

Whilst I love the radial look, and I would not give this up, I would prefer the forks to be a little longer - the extra 15 mm - 20 mm or so from the 954 forks and a RC51 top clamp would look more standard, and raise the clip ons a little..

I assume the 1000rr forks are better (more modern than 954).... But this may not be the case.....

Open to input from the more clued up bladers......
saxonblade is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 4:53 PM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
Mika_u - what is the difference in damping, compression and rebound between the 954 and 1000rr forks..

Whilst I love the radial look, and I would not give this up, I would prefer the forks to be a little longer - the extra 15 mm - 20 mm or so from the 954 forks and a RC51 top clamp would look more standard, and raise the clip ons a little..

I assume the 1000rr forks are better (more modern than 954).... But this may not be the case.....

Open to input from the more clued up bladers......
1000RR forks have stiffer linear springs and they feel better compared to the 954 in the damping characters. The design isn't any more modern on the 1000RR. It just has little different values on the damping when it comes from factory. I'm probably going the get K-tech piston kit and springs to the 954 forks when i swap them back with the radial bottom mounts. Bout forks should be pretty equal with this piston kit and right springs because the piston kit is same for bout forks. That allso means there can't be very big difference internally on them.
I wasn't fully satisfied with the 1000RR forks so when i get the piston kit i rather put it to the longer forks so the geometry of the bike stays stock.

If i would have to choose between 1000RR and 954 stock forks with stock springs i would go with the 1000RR forks.
mika_u is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 10-25-2014, 9:16 PM
 
Join Date: 09-01-2008
Location: England
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
           
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Thanks Mika_u.

Something to consider (and perhaps look for some 954 forks).
saxonblade is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-15-2010
Location: central California
Age: 50
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
   
Send a message via Yahoo to letsride
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

The reason I am thinking of replacement is because my suspension guy mentioned it.I know the 1k forks are a little shorter.but also heard the 1k brakes are better.Would also like to keep my 954 galfer rotors so I would need the spacers for the calipers.
letsride is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 4:32 AM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
The reason I am thinking of replacement is because my suspension guy mentioned it.I know the 1k forks are a little shorter.but also heard the 1k brakes are better.Would also like to keep my 954 galfer rotors so I would need the spacers for the calipers.
My opinnion is that the 954 brakes are better then 1000RR:s. That's why i have the monoblock Nissins from 2012 Triumph 675 Daytona. My forks came with the 1000RR calipers but i have owned 04 1000RR and didn't like the brakes so i sold them. Only thing i would upgrade on the 954 brakes is the master. I think they don't have as much feel as newer bikes but they have very decent amount of power.

I allso like how the radial brakes look.
Any machinist can make those spacers. They are very simple. I actually have a set of them in the garage. I'll try to see if i can find them and take a photo of them.
mika_u is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 9:25 AM
 
Join Date: 07-02-2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
My opinnion is that the 954 brakes are better then 1000RR:s. That's why i have the monoblock Nissins from 2012 Triumph 675 Daytona. My forks came with the 1000RR calipers but i have owned 04 1000RR and didn't like the brakes so i sold them. Only thing i would upgrade on the 954 brakes is the master. I think they don't have as much feel as newer bikes but they have very decent amount of power.
Hi,

Do you know which radial master cylinder will fit a standard 954? I tried the Brembo RCS but it doesn't clear the fairing...

Jack
FazerBoy is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 4:26 PM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Hi,

Do you know which radial master cylinder will fit a standard 954? I tried the Brembo RCS but it doesn't clear the fairing...

Jack
Can't say i do. I have 18mm Brembo radial main cylinder from KTM RC8R but i have LSL clip-ons that aren't raised and still i had to cut little piece from the headlight bottom. Maybe aftermarket clip-ons with 0 degrees bend could clear the fairing and tbe back of the headlight when adjusted to the same position as stock clip-ons. Mine are set more straight then the stock clip-ons and the bend is 5 degrees.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_125626.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	60882

Last edited by mika_u; 10-27-2014 at 5:20 AM. Reason: typo
mika_u is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 7:03 PM
 
Join Date: 07-02-2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
Can't say i do. I have 18mm Brembo radial main cylinder from KTM RC8R but i have LSL clip-ons that aren't raised and still i had to cut little piece from the headlight bottom. Maybe aftermarket clip-ons with 0 degrees bend could clear the fairing and headlight adjust to same position as stock clip-ons. Mine are set more straight then the stock clip-ons and the bend is 5 degrees.
Attachment 60882
Ok, thanks.
FazerBoy is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 10-26-2014, 7:57 PM
 
Join Date: 09-01-2008
Location: England
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
           
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Mika_u can't really see it from that picture...... Focus!

As stated - I am using 954 clips, 954 triples and cbr1000 forks. I have a cbr1000rr radial mastercylinder and and I get clearance on the fairing and stay, on my cbr900rrr.

But ........ I did need to change the levers to asv levers to clear the clocks/dash
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
saxonblade is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 10-27-2014, 5:04 AM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
Mika_u can't really see it from that picture...... Focus!

As stated - I am using 954 clips, 954 triples and cbr1000 forks. I have a cbr1000rr radial mastercylinder and and I get clearance on the fairing and stay, on my cbr900rrr.

But ........ I did need to change the levers to asv levers to clear the clocks/dash
You can see from that picture how much lower they are when you open a pic of a stock 954 and compared it to the one i posted. It wasn't the purpose to show were it interferes.

Last edited by mika_u; 10-27-2014 at 5:19 AM.
mika_u is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-2014, 5:19 AM
 
Join Date: 09-01-2008
Location: England
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
           
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Yes - they are closer to the radiator (slightly less offset I feel), and the front end is lower to the floor and more compact as a result. I like the look, but it comes with tighter clearance (only just).

Was hoping for pics of the alterations to the fairing / clocks you needed to make.....,
saxonblade is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 10-27-2014, 5:32 AM
 
Join Date: 05-16-2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
             
Re: CBR 1k front end on a 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
Yes - they are closer to the radiator (slightly less offset I feel), and the front end is lower to the floor and more compact as a result. I like the look, but it comes with tighter clearance (only just).

Was hoping for pics of the alterations to the fairing / clocks you needed to make.....,
I just grinded of a small piece from the corner of the headlights and put some black tape to it temporarily so that the lever can go few cm:s further. I didn't need to do any other modifications with these clip-ons. Probably in same angle as stock it wouldn't interfere with the headlight but it will interfere with the air duct covers. My clip-ons are much wider then stock and still they interfere to the covers when turned all the way left or right.
mika_u is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRB600F3 Front Wheel on 929/954 Front End thedeatons Honda FireBlade 8 06-30-2015 7:06 PM
954 front end ~ 600RR front rim Bluevitz_RS Honda FireBlade 44 10-26-2013 12:27 PM
954 front end vs 1000rr front end moron900 Honda FireBlade 8 08-28-2007 11:17 AM
FS: 00 F4 Front Wheel / 04 599 front and rear wheel dragn_cbrf4i For Sale 0 01-30-2006 6:27 PM
WANTED front & rear wheels, front&side fairing iitufftobeatii Wanted 5 11-28-2005 7:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome