SC28, what to look for when buying? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2014, 3:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

SC28, what to look for when buying?

Hi there

Im on the lookout for a 1992/1993 model SC28 (the one with the purple trim and rear seat), and I just found one that seems to be in good condition compared to the price. But as this will be my first Fireblade, Im a little unsure what to look for prior to the acquisition. Its an old bike, and I dont expect it to be as good as new (though it is a Honda), but I would like to avoid the worst/most expensive pitfalls. So are there any particular things I must look for or test before handing over my money?

All input will be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2014, 5:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Re: SC28, what to look for when buying?

Hi and welcome. Nice choice of bike!! Im no expert, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in here.
I think notchy headstock bearings and noisy gearbox are common issues?
Im guessing if it it runs nice then check everything you would check for on any other bike, and hopefully the price you agree on reflects the amount of work its going to need.
Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
Hi there

Im on the lookout for a 1992/1993 model SC28 (the one with the purple trim and rear seat), and I just found one that seems to be in good condition compared to the price. But as this will be my first Fireblade, Im a little unsure what to look for prior to the acquisition. Its an old bike, and I dont expect it to be as good as new (though it is a Honda), but I would like to avoid the worst/most expensive pitfalls. So are there any particular things I must look for or test before handing over my money?

All input will be much appreciated
Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, all age equally. Rubber, metal, and plastic all age no matter what the name says on the tank. The only saving grace with Honda, they keep OEM going longer than the other 3, Yamaha being the first to leave you in the aftermarket world where parts often don't last as long.

It's over 20 years old. The price is after you buy it. Parts availability starts to get sketchy. Age starts to become a spider web of horrors if the bike wasn't maintained, or stored outside/damp/salty location.
Problems typical of 20 year old bikes start with brake lines, brake caliper seals, master cylinders failing, steering neck bearings getting stiff/rusted, fork seals getting hard and leak, etc. It's great bike for a school to learn on. Mild weather there? Probably preserved well then, just clean the carbs and replace the float needles after a cold winter.
Transmissions aren't bullet proof on these like Kawasaki. Sad.
Look for rust in the fuel tank, and good luck ever finding a good one if it is.
Bushings wear out in addition to all the usual maintenance list items like old tires, old pads, old fuel lines, vacuum lines, suspension issues, etc. Hope you have a tool box and service manual. Or it's been in a climate controlled home with low miles and annual service whether it needed it or not, then you're golden.

Last edited by blunt; 10-27-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 4:21 AM

pretty much nailed it there above ,I just recently bought one and several problems are occurring or raising their head. kind of wish I was a little more wary when I purchased however brakes, fuel lines, clutch, fairing mounts and several twist and tape electrical connections have made me sit lower in my seat and think what have I got.
be prepared for the "oh **** really why did they do that" comments
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 5:26 AM

Reputation Power: 18

How many owners! Looked at a bike on evil bay - it's 20 years old and has had 16 owners - I don't believe they all treated it carefully!

But.... General condition does not really lie - if it looks old and tired, with worn out chain etc, then your likely to have one to leave alone...,

There will ( in my humble opinion) always be curve balls (that's the risk of second hand)...and I have been caught out in the past - retired grey haired guy, bikes too heavy for me now etc, no mention of bike popping out of forth gear occasionally - which on my test ride did not happen - but cost me over 400 in parts alone to repair it - over 10 years ago!

Don't be in a hurry, and look carefully, I am sure you will soon spot the good ones!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 8:32 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Lindahl,

Personally I'd check the plastics are original and no repairs, no engine smoke or big rattles, and test ride it and stress the gears (revving high and closing off), can pop out of second if worn. Also - check it is a SC28 engine in it! They are pretty interchangeable right through to 99 (i believe)

The rest are 'consumables', brake lines, chains, tyres, bearings so expect to change them at some point anyway.

I take it you're not buying it as a daily commute so as long as the good basics are there then you'll have fun and tinker!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 PM

I have just made the same move (mistake) be aware that all fairing parts cost an absolute fortune. and look out for broken supports, mine had the left hand rear cowl bracket (that bolts to the top rail under the seats) bodged up with meccano, and both of the belly pan tabs are missing from the sump pan.
Right hand handlebar switch gear wiring had broken wires that had been bodged, kill switch shorted out at lower block connector & front brake light switch live wire broken.
But lots of fun if you enjoy messing around in the garage almost as much as being out on the road (or have long winters)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-03-2015, 9:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys

Sorry for not getting back to you.

I bought an 1992 SC28 this spring for a very reasonable price, as the former owner had already bought a CBR1100XX, so it was just standing there.

I general, and considering it has nearly 50.000 miles on the clock, it is in very good condition, the fairing (which is held in the original white, red and purple) has a few bruises, but nothing that I wont be able to repair when this season is over. The former owners seems to have treated it nice, and most of the notorious wear parts have been replaced recently. The only thing I had to do before MOT was to replace the front tire, which was rather easy.
Next thing will be the fork oil seals, as the right one is leaking a little, and oil and brake service.
I think the suspension is a little clunky, so Im considering whether to also replace the fork springs as well, maybe with a pair of hlins.
Im not sure about the condition of the rear shock, as I have never ridden this bike when it was new, but it seems to be in fair condition - no visible oil leak, and the paint on the spring is all intact. If I fall upon a reasonably priced hlins I might buy it, but as of now I think a front overhaul and some fiddling with the suspension settings will do.

Im really happy with the bike - coming from a new NC700 it is very much the direct opposite, which I just love.

Now Im off to enjoy what may be one of the last nice days of the motorbike season in Denmark...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page