Battery Voltage - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Battery Voltage

Hey guys, I have an issue with my 05 cbr 1000.

I had what I thought was a dead battery but after riding it began working fine again. Anyways, I went out to try to start my bike and it acted like it had a dead battery. I checked the voltage and it rear 11.70 volts. When trying to start it it went down to between 4-6 volts. Is this a bad battery?

Last time I rode for about 45 minutes then was in stop and go traffic and when I went to restart it it acted like the battery was dead, but push starting it made it run fine. Dead cell or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 7:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Battery Voltage

Sounds like the battery doesn't want to hold a charge, throw a new battery in and see how you go from there.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I dont know if its the battery since its almost a few months old, but ill take it in to replace it to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 3:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Hi mate,

Check out my last posts "Drybo" Melted Stator Connector" I have a bit of experience with stators and regulator/rectifiers. I have a 99 Blade so not sure what a 05 has. However if it has a regulator/rectifier this is what passes the charge to the battery. If it is faulty no charge and intermittent ignition. Go on you tube and search for "testing rectifier/regulator and stator" make sure you have a multi meter.

I had the same issue now resolved. I replaced the R/R and stator, when you test you will find out which is faulty. Don't by a new battery as you may be able to re charge it. I have been advised that batteries need conditioning, a 3 stage charger will reset the battery to full then trickle. Get a charger that has a quick connector so don't have to take your seat off. The cable comes of the terminals and can be placed at rear of bike and then just plug in the charger. Easy.

Good luck

Drybo
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 3:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

My thoughts are about your battery and your charging system. I suspect your charging system, but I don't know if you have a quality battery. Batteries can have a failure rate as high as 10% or more depending on the brand.

Assuming you have a quality battery, that hasn't failed, then your charging system is the next thing to check.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I had the battery place do a full charge on my battery and got it to 13.3 volts, I installed and rode for about 2 hours, came back home and charge was reading 13.29v. So I'm assuming the battery just was dying and needed a full tendered charge.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-29-2014, 11:54 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Did you check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running? If your alternator and voltage regulator are working properly, it should be between 13.5 V and 14.5 V at 3,000 RPMs.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2014, 4:50 PM Thread Starter

I haven't checked that with the full battery but it did raise when when I held the throttle around 4k with the battery when it was at 11.70 volts. I also took off one of my ballasts that was flickering, i think that was a part of the issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page