Brake upgrades 98 918 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Brake upgrades 98 918

Evening all.

Come to the conclusion recently that i'd like a bit more stopping power at the front end.
Refurbed my calipers on my last service and replaced brake fluid but there's still not enough stopping power for my liking.

Apart from the obvious brembo etc aftermarket master cylinders and calipers and such, is there any other models that bolt on without too much modification, while also being an upgrade over the original?

I've heard the 929/954 calipers and MC bolt straight on, but some have said they are slightly different and improved over mine, while others have said that the only difference is that they were painted gold? Any ideas?

Any info appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Re: Brake upgrades 98 918

I would start with brake lines, performance pads and rotors and see how that feels before getting into the master cylinder and calipers. These make an amazing difference right off the bat and still leaves you open to the other upgrades if you still want more. These are also fairly easy and relatively inexpensive.
I'm not sure about compatibility between the 954's but the 919 has 4 piston pots as well, the main difference looks like the rotor size.

Last edited by Lobsta13; 10-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2014, 1:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

^

Whether you switch calipers or not, I'd start with steel braided lines. I'm pretty darn sure you'll feel the difference immediately. Much more positive feel when you grab the brake handle. I've seen them sell for a tad under $100 new or $50 used. You may need to source a double banjo bolt unless it comes with the lines.
After that, slap in a set of Carbonne Lorraine XBK5 pads. These are some of the best aftermarket pads I've tried.
If after that you still want more Whoooaaa!, then start researching rotors and calipers. But I think you'll feel a significant improvement with lines and pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2014, 2:19 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Ahhhh, looks like I forgot to put what I've already got on. Lol. As it stands I have venhill lines (1-2), Armstrong waveys, and EBC pads.
I've not long put those in too, probably about 500 miles ago. Are carbonne lorraines really that good then?

Cheers for the input so far guys.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2014, 3:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

I would find a Master off of a newer R6 or R1, they are cheap and would compliment what you have already done to your bike. That or really and radial master off of a newer bike, I have just had great luck with the Yamaha parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page