need some help... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

need some help...

so i got my rim back from will rim repair n had my tire mounted n balanced. btw i sent the rotors with the rim to be checked for straightness. i put the wheel back on yesterday, i put the flange spacer on the right like the manual said and followed the procedure as far as tightening up the bolts. axle nut, right side pinch bolts, put the calipers back on, let the bike down, pumped up the brakes n bounced it a few times n tightened down the left side pinch bolts.

the disks arent centered in the calipers very well. it like the whole wheel is towards the left too much. the brakes didnt seem to drag too much, however, the left side caliper is closer than the spec mentioned in the manual for clearance of the caliper bracket and the disk(.7mm). the clearance is just under that number on the far outside caliper on the left side. not where the bolts mount to the forks but the caliper just around the pistons is pretty close.

i rode it a short distance n the brakes work well and the bike tracks straight with my hands off the bars so i dont think the forks are bent. the axle on the left side is flush with the fork on the outer edge.

i read another post where a guy was having trouble with brake drag on a 929 n he says his fix was to swap the spacers from the noted position in the manual putting the right spacer on the left n so on. to be honest it looks like because the right side flange spacer sticks out further as it sits if i did swap them it would put the rim slightly further to the right which would center the disks in the calipers much better. im not sure if that would be a huge no-no or not? it just looks like the spacers would allow it to scoot over a smidge n that would solve my outer left hand clearance issue. on the right side the caliper has a ton of room on its outsidde n is pretty close on the inside so they seem oriented pretty similar on each side of the bike.

just thought id ask if anyone ever had the same problem or if there is something else i should try first. i watched a video on youtube of a guy loosening everything from the top tripple clamp center bolt down to the pinch bolts then pumping the forks to realign them. the wheel seems to be square with the controls n the triple clamp. i mean the guy did that because his front wheel was pointing slightly off center when his controls were centered. mie seem to be centered as is. i did wreck the bike which is what bent the rim but it wasnt a big wipe out n the bike never hit anything head-on or anything.

im just pretty worried about riding it without the clearance the manual says even tho the wheel spins free n the brakes arent dragging. they just arent centered on the disks well at all. id think they would be reasonably close to the middle n like i said mine are well towards the left on each caliper.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 1:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: need some help...

Man, that's a bit of a quandary.
The one time I got my spacers mistakenly switched, as you suggested (I pretty sure the 954 axle assembly is the same as my RC51) the calipers wouldn't even mount to the brackets. Isn't the right spacer quite a lot thicker than the left?
I can only think of a couple things that might be.
Some type of debris keeping the right spacer from seating fully
or something blocking the middle axle spacer from it's proper position
are the bearing races seated properly?

Kind of a stab in the dark...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 2:00 PM Thread Starter

you know i had the same thoughts. i was pretty careful to clean the spacers and the center spacer before i put them in. i didnt pull the dust seal off n look at the bearings but i did give a quick look thru the heel hub n the center spacer seemed to be making contact with both bearings on the inside so i just assume the bearings are where they should be. assume being the key word.

i pulled the fender off n the calipers. loosened everything but the top triple clamp pinch bolts all the way down. pushed on the triple while it was on a rear stand to see if it lined anything up. not much change.

i am tightening everything up n am going to put the calipers back on. while the bottom pinch bolts were loose i took a rag n a big o screw driver n pried the left fork out some n tightened the pinch bolts. i know thats not right but it does look to be the same distance apart on each side now from the fender mounting tab on the bottom knuckle. im going to button it all up n see if the calipers are any better on center with the required .7mm clearance. i think it will be within those limits. it was close to the .7 before even tho they werent centered much. if its within spec i can at least feel comfortable enough to ride it to my suspension guys house n let him look at it. or i may just pay him to make a house call...

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

well its together and the clearance is right. like i said i just kinda pried the fork away from the wheel hub on the left side n tightened down the pinch bolts. it really wasnt much, its not like i had to really muscle it apart to get the extra .5mm or anything. i imagine tho with having to force it out to get the clearance itll mess with the sticktion but the brake calipers are well clear and within spec of the rotors. so im not worried about them heating up n locking up on me. im still pretty nervous about it tho. i mean trust in your machine is pretty key n i dunno if ill trust it fully until i get it looked at by someone with more real world knowledge.... anyway, wish me luck. im off for the maiden voyage after my get off finally... 2 months later.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 3:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I had another idea.
If one leg of your forks is a tad higher or lower than the other, I could see how you'd have this problem. Try taking a measurement (preferably with a digital caliper) on both fork legs from the top of the top clamp to the top of the fork tube. Not the fork tube cap. They should be identical. If not, loosen and make them identical. Then recheck your brake caliper clearance.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2014, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

well i rode it and i cant tell any adverse problems with it how it sits now. its pretty close to equal clearance on both sides of the disk on both sides of the forks. about half way thru my ride the FI light came on..... ughh lol now im gonna go check n see what code its throwing. only changes i made was putting the d&d pipe on. which sounds awesome btw. anyway i guess ill check the code n make a new thread on that if need be. its running great so i dunno....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page