The snow is coming, time for a high compression rebuild! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-30-2014, 4:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

The snow is coming, time for a high compression rebuild!

Hey guys, the time has finally come. After years of riding the 929 the way I bought it, I'm going to dive into a bottom end rebuild. I am planning on boring it out to a 954 or a 980 and go high compression. I have read a few articles on here about how going to 980 makes the cylinder walls too thin, but I am going to do some more research on that before I make my final decision, but your input would be appreciated. The reason I am making this post though is I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how high I can go on the compression ratio and still run on 93 octane gas? I would prefer to go over 13:1 if I can, 13.5:1 would even be better. Does anyone know what how high you can go and still run 93? I don't want to sacrifice timing or anything that complicated. I plan to install more aggressive cams in the near future as well to maximize the gains from the higher compression and maybe some port and polish work. My second question is, while I have everything apart on the bottom end what are some other components I should replace while I am in there? My bike has 36000 miles on it now, I purchased it with 18000 and I can tell from my time on this forum that from the way it feels, it was probably abused pretty heavily by the previous owners. I miss shifts in to second gear more frequently than I would like to, and rarely it will pop out of gear as well as hit a false neutral in shifts from 4th to 5th. I definitely plan on inspecting the shift forks, shift drum and clutch materials while im in there, just wanna know if there is anything else I should pay close attention to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-30-2014, 5:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: The snow is coming, time for a high compression rebuild!

Just an FYI, I just did my forks and drum because it was popping out of 2nd. When I began the job, I thought I would see signs of wear and tear on the parts. When everything was out, they looked great, I could not see any wear signs or anything that would indicated they were damage or bent. I thought that I would have to go back in and inspect the gears but after I installed the new parts, the problem was fixed. The point I'm trying to make is if you do not have the special tools as indicated in the manual to verify everything is within spec, you may miss something, so keep that in mind when you are doing your inspection and don't rule out anything with just a simple visual evaluation.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-30-2014, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Ok thanks for the heads up. I will have to take a look at the manual and see what it takes to properly diagnose them and go from there. My stepdad has a ridiculous amount of tools so maybe he will have what I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2014, 9:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Check my 980cc build. There are specs of my motor and some info. And feel free to ask questions after you read the thread if you wan't to know something specific.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page