Stupidity costs money - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Stupidity costs money

Last month I went and got a 02' 954 as my first bike. Well needless to say I managed to blow the engine from hard riding, will admit Im a novice rider, and now I was given 3 options from my mechanic.

1. Rebuild the motor, top to bottom.

2. Buy a whole new/used motor.

3. Swap in a 1000. I dont know which years will mate in just fine so some info will be awesome on that.

I'm trying to figure out which option will be least expensive of them all.

Sincerely,
The noob

P.S. Im ready for the constructive criticism......its needed
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1415558843825.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 1:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Re: Stupidity costs money

First off, Welcome!

second, your cheapest way out is buying a used motor, BUT, it can also be the most expensive. You might find a motor that is in great condition that has been properly maintained. I personally would rebuild, and not take chances, and that is because I have complete faith in my motor builder.

Lastly, there is no 1000cc motor that will be a straight swap, it would take manufacturing of brackets, wiring harness, airbox, possibly fuel pump, and the list goes on.

Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Cross out option 3 then lol

Last edited by macca9540; 01-23-2015 at 4:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 5:25 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Curious to know how you blew it up from "hard riding". I'm fairly confident it was designed for such riding. I'm suspecting maybe it wasn't your fault and there were perhaps pre existing conditions that led to it failing? Did the tech explain how he came to that conclusion? Buying a used motor could put you right back in this position. I would probably do a rebuild if it were me, but I live for that and it may not be your cup of tea. Anyhow, good luck and yes, to the site.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 6:04 AM Thread Starter

Well the previous said it was not necessary for me to go above 7k when I got it and suggested I never see redline, I was sitting there wondering why I couldn't use the other 4.5k rpms but apparently the bike had been "worked on 'internally'" by the last dude he bought it from. Weird story right? Being me I was like "F**k that, that **** dont make sense to me. Ill do what I want." After a couple times bouncing on the rev limiter it blew a hole through the case right above the oil filter and the heads were chewed up. The mechanic was trying to figure out how I did it but he didn't look at it until after I ripped it to shreds so any damage before hand cant be picked out anymore so Im stuck with the bill. Hopefully everything is below $1600 or its going to have to wait until spring.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 6:09 AM Thread Starter

There is the hole above the oil filter, idk if you can see it.
Attached Thumbnails
20141109_142801.jpg‎   20141109_145803.jpg‎  
post #7 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 6:20 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Wow that sucks! Definitely seems like he knew it was on its way out. Here's your CBR, but don't wind it out........horsesh!t.!! Make the PO eat the bill.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Yeah, the previous owner scammed you into buying a bike he new the motor was going bad. My bikes live right before redline with never any problems. You should have asked this forum for advise before you bought the bike, internal motor work plus restrictions on riding it would be a no go over here. I started taking motors apart to see how complicated a build is and it does not seem too complicated, except for the degree part. I understand the concept but just don't understand how to properly do it yet. If you're not going to pay someone to build it with warranty and you mess up, you can be paying the equal expense as buying a bad used one. Also building a motor takes time. You can be down for a while (weeks/months), with a used motor you can be up in a few hours. When looking for a used motor try to find one from a crashed bike being parted. If the bike is unable to be started then turn the motor by hand to make sure it spin smooth with no restrictions. Good luck with what you decide and have fun if you do the work yourself because when you're done there'll be this sense of accomplishment that make you want to do it again.
post #9 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 AM

I guess this is why I buy Gold Wings and KLR 650s, the riding experience never suggests to run or or "live near the redline." I like my power early on. Sad story. Happens. Bouncing off a rev limiter is NOT ever a good idea.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 2:38 PM

You need a good used motor to start with. The valve cover and oil pan need to be taken off so you can inspect the internals. You can do this at any number of motorcycle wrecking yards, they will have probably done this already to a selection of motors. This will be the most expensive "core" option but most certainly the smartest and least expensive in the long run. If the valve lash and seat are good, you can expect that the bike was well maintained and not abused (over revved). You will check the crank journals by removing the caps one at a time and checking for grooves or roughness on the polished section that meets with the crank. If there is no discoloration from aparent overheating or damage from lack of lubrication then you have good start. The next thing to check is connecting rod play, which can be tricky because of clearances. Roll the crank around to visually inspect the connecting rod's connection with the cylinder head. Roll the crank back and forth while inspecting each rod for play. Like I said before, this method can be tricky but if performed properly can give you some valuable information. With a motor that has proper clearances, timing and lubrication you can trust that with proper maintenance it will last a long time and take whatever mods you want to throw at it.
post #11 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
I guess this is why I buy Gold Wings and KLR 650s, the riding experience never suggests to run or or "live near the redline." I like my power early on. Sad story. Happens. Bouncing off a rev limiter is NOT ever a good idea.
Last year I had a roadstar 1600 and the previous year a klr650. Took me a while to get that the fun factor of these bikes is at low rpm where the torque is. The bikes were not happy at all being revved too high, at high revs they just fell on their face. I've been looking at buying a goldwing but the dam prices refuse to go down. Low revvig and high revving bike both have their perks. Riding my roadstar it felt more powerful then my 600 but once you ride it around other sport bikes you realize how deceptive the power of the 600s are. Solo rides, I used to prefer riding my roadstar but riding with my friends the roadstar couldn't keep us so I prefer my sport bikes.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 5:01 PM

Sorry, Sabotage. I'm failing to see how your comments are meant to help this guy find a motor for his bike...
post #13 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 5:23 PM

Nothing to help him find a motor, but he believes that he blew the motor by revving it past 7k rpm so a mild dicussion came about from that premiss. Should he just buy a motor and continue to live in ignorance?
post #14 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 6:28 PM

Rebuilding is costly, what's the budget? Salvage engines have to have a return policy sold with them, so you don't get stuck with junk. Rebuilding is a loose term that means many things to different people. Unless you have a really good well seasoned machine shop to do all the prep properly and precisely with very expensive equipment, those new parts won't do much. We rebuild other people's rebuilds. It staggers the imagination of what some put together.
Salvage is often the lowest and most reliable cost solution for any old outdated bike not worth more than a few grand, and hopefully, by chance, you found an original that was never messed with. Good luck.
post #15 of 35 Old 12-21-2014, 8:53 PM Thread Starter

My budget is $1500~$1700

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page