Winterize your bike! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 12-21-2014, 1:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Winterize your bike!

Hey people, I just finished up rewiring my '93 900rr and installing a bunch of new electrical components. Some of you may remember my frantical rants about an electrical "brown out" that I was experiencing shortly after rolling out of my driveway on my bike... Well, it turns out the problem was much more complex than anyone could have predicted without looking at the problem with extreme detail.

What happened to my bike was a certain kind of debauchery reserved only for those American made motorcycles of mediocrity. I thought back really hard to try and remember the last time my bike was really, truly serviced and not just "kept running". It was a while. Ive owned my bike for about 4 years and I had never really had her serviced. I have changed the oil and charged/ replaced the battery but the cost of treating my bike that way was almost unbearable. After inspecting the electrical system I almost sold her for parts.

The stator was fried, wiring burned, several electrical components were melted, the connectors that plugged into them were melted/ fused to their components. It was a nightmare.

To say the least, my initial reaction was overblown. I took some time last weekend to install the new stator and after a period of time soldering/ repairing many connections yesterday the electrical system is back to spec.

What happened to my bike is an example of bad maintenance and the "behind the scenes" problems that can happen as a result of this abuse. Unfortunately, my bike's stator sustained chemical damage to the epoxy that protects the windings. This cracked and flaked the epoxy off of the windings with no apparent evidence of overheating but rather a yellowing oxidation. This was sulfur buildup from leaving old oil in the bike for long periods of time. From there, even though I kept the battery charged, the electrical components were straining to keep up with the bike's need for juice at high rpm's. That is what melted everthing and it all could have been avoided by properly winterizing my bike from day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
electrical , maintenance , winterize

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page