What would you do? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

What would you do?

Im new to this forum. I used to have a 94 900RR that was stolen many years ago. My best friend had a 900 RR and I wanted one like his. It kind of burnt me that this bike I loved was stolen. For the last few years and after going thru bike after bike, I asked my buddy if he would sell me his old 900RR that he had not touched in years. I always loved his bike. Finally after years of sitting in his shed, his bike is now in my possession in my garage. I am so happy to have this bike and cant wait to start building it back up.

Here is my question. Lets just say this bike is in poor condition and will need to be completely gone thru. It doesnt run, and the engine is locked up. If you were in my shoes, and had essentually to start from the begining, what all would you do? What engine would you build/swap? Would you do a stretched swingarm or a single sided swingarm swap? Would you swap plastics? Would you change it to EFI?

Lets just say you had a blank slate 93 900 RR to start with, and a few grand to spend on it, what would you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-27-2014, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Re: What would you do?

if it were me id drop in a rebuilt engine Honda CBR900RR Engine 1993 1995 w Warranty 893cc | eBay

tires, put fresh fluids in where i could(forks brakes) chain n sprockets. steel brake lines, levers. grips, exhaust, carb service, n depending on what condition the rear shock is in replace that, probably gonna need a battery(shorai) n check the inside of the tank, might be rusty, possibly hoses, fender eliminator... how are the plastics looking? the aprilia swing arm looks awesome on the cbr 900. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.aWw&cad=rjt its not a crazy hard to do swap. lots of info on it. id think you could get all that for around 3 grand, maybe less, may be more.

its not impossible to put a efi motor in but its not anywhere close to a drop in and that means a lot of custom fab work. if your looking for inspiration check out what a little more than 3 grand can get you in the efi engine in a 900 frame department by one of our own here on fireblades....

also, welcome to the site man. look forward to hearing about your progress on the project

a picture would be nice!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 12-27-2014 at 11:31 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

I kinda agree with Kevin, to a degree. The single sided is cool, but really has been beaten to death, with Lambchops actually ditching his for the RSV Aprillia unit. Those are cool too, but now it seems to be the "norm" as far as trick updates go. Upside downs can be tossed right on with proper triple clamps on the front, but there you're already talking a grand to $1200 bucks without the motor.

My stance is this. If you liked his bike sooooo much back in the day, then that is the bike you should have. Original condition. Ask yourself some questions. Do you want to do the work yourself? If so, find out why the motor is locked up and learn to wrench on it yourself. It's great to have a bike that's trick, but much more so if you do all the work yourself. It seems you loved the original idea of the 900. Do you plan to drag race the bike and lose some of its genetically quick handling? If not, keep it stock length.

Bodywork can get expensive too, when you take into th fab to get other model stuff to fit, and if it's not painted that's another chunk of change.

I would suggest (only a suggestion, as its your bike and can do with as you see fit) that you keep it stock, get it in running, roadworthy shape, ride th snot out of it, then decide if you want to customize it. I'm pretty sure that after riding my "naked" RR around last year that I want a full faring on it in the near future. Good luck, and surely document it all with a build read and countless pictures. Here's mine:

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 1:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

My advice would be a stock appearing 94 with the goodies hidden away besides an exhaust. Maybe a good shock, some Ontario Moto Tech triples, a 17 inch wheel and maybe a newer 900 swingarm, a good steering damper, well, thats what I would do anyway. This is the bike I want and will have someday...

post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 1:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Get it running and riding, then decide about swingers and all the custom stuff.
You're going to have quite a little work just in the fuel system and carbs, let alone replacing the engine.

Ians rebuild thread is a really great one.
gts455 has a nice build thread too.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...c33-build.html
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 3:36 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo View Post
My advice would be a stock appearing 94 with the goodies hidden away besides an exhaust. Maybe a good shock, some Ontario Moto Tech triples, a 17 inch wheel and maybe a newer 900 swingarm, a good steering damper, well, thats what I would do anyway. This is the bike I want and will have someday...

Wow! That sure is a sweet 900. I think I've seen that one around before

post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Wow! That sure is a sweet 900. I think I've seen that one around before
In all seriousness, I think it's time, Ian... I have a birthday coming up, and this would be the perfect gift to myself, so if you have that guys contact info, I want to talk to him.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 4:11 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo View Post
In all seriousness, I think it's time, Ian... I have a birthday coming up, and this would be the perfect gift to myself, so if you have that guys contact info, I want to talk to him.
Sorry Mike, the last I looked the listing was gone. Hope it went to another owner that would love it as much as you..........and me.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Sorry Mike, the last I looked the listing was gone. Hope it went to another owner that would love it as much as you..........and me.
Well, if you run across it again, let me know.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 4:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
if it were me id drop in a rebuilt engine Honda CBR900RR Engine 1993 1995 w Warranty 893cc | eBay
That engine deal is absolutely incredible. It's practically free labor, and how they provide a warranty long distance, is worth the price alone. This is the way to go.
Get it running, tinker along after that as you wish and tackle issues as the come along. (Sociopath Jon wishes he had my mind...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page