CBR900RR Fireblade carb plumbing / connections - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2015, 4:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

CBR900RR Fireblade carb plumbing / connections

Right folks, progress is good - tomorrow is a fuelling day. Before I start tearing my hair out trying to figure out what goes where I thought I'd pick your brains

So the stock airbox has two connections, one at the top which seems to be an inlet to a breather and this has an outlet port on the side and the other is on the right hand front as shown in the picture below:

I assume that the small port on the right is a breather from the valve cover here:

Question 1. Is that correct?

My next assumption is that the breather in the airbox connects to the large tube out the centre of the carbs as shown here:

Question 2. When is this overflow ever used?

Question 3. What should connect to the 'outlet' port of the breather on the airbox?

There is a linked breather (?) pipe on the top of the carbs as shown here:

Question 4. Should this vent to atmosphere?

There is another vac line which is already connected on my engine between the two left carbs here:

Question 5. What is this for, PCV?

There is a similar breather on the other side here:

Question 6. Where does this one plumb into? I think it might be one that is used on a standard bike set up to prevent fuel entering the carbs from the tank in which case can I just block it off?

Question 7. And finally, each carb has an outlet port at the bottom. Two of mine are joined together but 2 aren't and none of them go anywhere.

Thanks in advance

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2015, 8:01 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: CBR900RR Fireblade carb plumbing / connections

Holy cow James!!! Try any limit your questions to 3 per post!

You're right on with the airbox. The tab on the right from the bottom of the airbox is the crankcase vent from the top right of the cam cover. The very large center pivoting breather hose in the middle of the carbs connects to the sub-air cleaner that bolts to the rear end of the airbox.

The small breathers that come out from the top of the carbs and vent to the right of the carbs to the single tube just vents to atmosphere.

The small hoses on the bottom of the float bowls just drain the fuel in the bowls to the ground. They do nothing and can be removed. They disn't come standard and have been added at some point. They are useless really. Remove them.

The small vacuum hose coming off the cylinder head under the carbs on the right was to activate the original fuel valve on the gas tank. Cap it at the head if your not using a vacuum operated tap.

In your third picture, you're finger is pointing to the main fuel inlet tube. That will connect to your fuel tap.

In the photo above question 5 I can't really see what you mean. The only hose I see is the air bleed coolant hose that goes to the head from the water pump.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2015, 4:38 AM Thread Starter

Sorry but it tends to come in batches like this! I'll try and keep under 3 this time!!

Apologies for the confusion on pic 3, I think I posted the wrong picture! I wanted to confirm I'd picked the right fuel feed point too which you have done so thanks!

It might well be the air bleed hose! I'll follow it through now and check

1. So the breather on the airbox, when is it used and should it have a connection other than to the middle of the carbs? It seems to have 2 ports which I presumed was inlet -> filter -> somewhere else?

2. All the small hoses that drain the fuel to the ground, presumably they need to be capped off or fuel will merrily drop out?

As usual thanks for taking the time to respond

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2015, 8:32 AM

Garage

The sub air cleaner has only the one tube connection, then it just bolts to the end of the air box. There should be a small foam element inside the little box. It looks like this:

And the float bowls drain via screws shown here. Just remove the tubes.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2015, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

Superb, many thanks indeed. Just spent a very long time making the bracket that holds the expansion tank on and now off to finish the fuel and coolant system thanks to you
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2015, 9:01 AM

Garage

Can't wait to see it going!

post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

You and me both! Managed to get the gauges all opened up, need to make a new cover for the tacho from bits lying around the house. I wonder if my wife would miss the glass on one of the clocks ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page