i just had the air box off on my 954 recently doing the spark plugs and there was some residue in mine as well. oily n slightly sticky, some in the velocity stacks as well. just wipe it out. im going to say its normal. be careful what you use to clean your throttle body butterflies tho. they have a special coating n your not suppose to use certain cleaners. id hafta look it up to tell you which ones not to use but ill leave that to you. check your service manual. im pretty sure it says in there whats ok to use n what isnt.
sweet. Thanks....going to change my sparks too. Order a clutch kit today as well Getting carried away with my winter maintenance. Re-hauling OCD is what I've got. Basement needed a few repairs, wife came home one day there was no more floors, suspended ceiling down and a wall missing.
Let's say she wasn't too happy.
By april/may when I can take her back out I'd like to be done with the following:
- new chain and sprocket (-1 front; stock rear or +1 - not sure yet)
- Coolant flush
- Fan switch (bike getting too hot in traffic)
- New rear pads (purchased)
- Rectifier (to be checked; stator still good)
- Fork oil changed
- Brake fluid flush (still looks clean but don't know when it was changed prior to my purchase)
- Fuel filter (mind as well the tank is off)
And in between all of this there's a few broken plastic parts on the headlight witch will require some plastic welding and thinking of painting the entire beast too.
Now all I need is time and money... and help once in a while