No wonder my bike was overheating... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 3:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

No wonder my bike was overheating...

Look what I found today. God knows how long it was like that. Bike was reaching high temps very quickly if I wasn't on the move.

Anyway I can fix this (weld) ? Or I'm going to have to pray I can find a used one for cheap; mighty putty perhaps ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 6:08 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Re: No wonder my bike was overheating...

Radiator shop should be able to braise that up. Its not under pressure there anyway
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 2:46 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Pretty sure that just sends low pressure expanded or "overflow" coolant to the catch can. Should be able to have fixed up without issue. Doubt that would send the system into overheating though. It's open to the catch can so having it open there would just let it dribble out there rather than get caught in the can. What it won't do is have the suction effect to pull back from the catch can to refill the system. So once it leaks out its gone. More likely that's the issue. Does it leak all over everything? You should see it dripping somewhere if the system is properly filled.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 4:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Pretty sure that just sends low pressure expanded or "overflow" coolant to the catch can. Should be able to have fixed up without issue. Doubt that would send the system into overheating though. It's open to the catch can so having it open there would just let it dribble out there rather than get caught in the can. What it won't do is have the suction effect to pull back from the catch can to refill the system. So once it leaks out its gone. More likely that's the issue. Does it leak all over everything? You should see it dripping somewhere if the system is properly filled.
Actually taking the bike for the first time since I purchased it in August. Didn;t use it much. But it was an accidented bike the previous owner fixed. He was more in hurry to get it back on the road then anything. I didn't have any issues really other than it hitting 103 degrees pretty fast when stopped in traffic. No leaking either. Going to check coolant levels and examine the rad shortly
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 5:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

What bike do you have LeKoz?
103C = 218F. If you're on any of the FI bikes, 929,954,1000, RC51, etc., it's no worries. That's a normal temp for them.
Did your fan kick on? I'm used to them kicking on at 219F and back off at 209F. On FI Hondas that is.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 5:50 PM

I just looked up your stats and see you have a 03 954. Is this the same bike? If so - like I said above, you're not overheating at all.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 6:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I just looked up your stats and see you have a 03 954. Is this the same bike? If so - like I said above, you're not overheating at all.
yup 954 it is.

Didn't know they get that hot! My other bikes, even the VFR was okay. The fan does kick in at 103*C (217*F) but temp continues to rise. Highest I've seen it go so far in traffic was 109*C (228*F) and I was in a little panic. Eventually got rolling and it dropped.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 8:25 PM

Maybe someone can verify these numbers to apply to the 954, but I believe they do. I know it's correct for my RC51, but it's not an I-4.

You don't have to panic till somewhere after 235 -240F.

The temp light will come on at 251F, 122C, and the temp display numbers start to flash.
That means shut 'er off! I'm told by those who know, engine damage is likely at that temp.

You could try to burp the cooling system too, just in case you have an air bubble.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 9:36 PM Thread Starter

I'll flush and clean the rad since since parts are off and check for further potential defaults. Thanks for the input it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Maybe someone can verify these numbers to apply to the 954, but I believe they do. I know it's correct for my RC51, but it's not an I-4.

The temp light will come on at 251F, 122C, and the temp display numbers start to flash.
That means shut 'er off! I'm told by those who know, engine damage is likely at that temp.

You could try to burp the cooling system too, just in case you have an air bubble.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 3:29 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:

From memory with my 954's jondog is close to the mark. They do run hot in traffic.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 5:58 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

230F sitting in traffic on a hot day with the fan running, seems to be normal operating temps for me.
The temp did go up a few degrees (was 223F) after I flushed the system last year, never could determine a reason for that though?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page