Valve clearance & chain tensioner?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-15-2015, 5:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Valve clearance & chain tensioner??

It's about time to get ready for the riding season.
My buddy who was an yamaha technician went for a ride at the end of last year and said that he thinks my valve clearances are out.

Since I bought it used and it's now at 50000km, I figure I should definitely open her up to see what it needs.

I'm a car mechanic btw.

I also hear that the cam chain tensioners like to fail on these bikes..... I have definitely felt more vibration and noise over the past year and a half I've owned it.

First, How do I check the condition of my tensioner.
Second, if I decide to replace it, should I go with another Honda tensioner or a manual one? Pros/cons?
Third, if I have to replace the valve shims, I'd have to remove the cams.... So do I just time the engine, remove the tensioner, loosen the cams, replace shims as nessisary, torque up the cams, and reinstall tensioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Valve clearance & chain tensioner??

download a copy of the service manual. its got detailed info on checking and doing your valve clearances.

the advantages of the manual cct is it can be adjusted to keep it in the sweet spot. the automatic oem is spring loaded and just gets loose after a while n the chains whipping action causes it to spring back more where a manual cct is locked in keeping the tension more even.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2015, 9:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Re: Valve clearance & chain tensioner??

Can someone pls help me checking the dimensions for the CCT? i would really appreciate his/her help. I have the below CCT and this is how it measures, if the 954 CCT measures the same i will open up my 954 else will order and wait for 45 days till it comes from USA to India
Attached Thumbnails
CCT Dimension.png‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page