Melting Wires 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2015, 7:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Melting Wires 954rr

So I have a 2003 954rr. I was riding today and noticed a burning plastic smell. I removed the seat and noticed the connector that has 4 yellow wires going to it was smoking and melting. Any idea why it would do that? What are the wires for?? How do I replace it or fix it? I can text pictures to anybody who wants to see. I can't figure out how to upload pics from my phone. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2015, 9:06 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Melting Wires 954rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandcare View Post
So I have a 2003 954rr. I was riding today and noticed a burning plastic smell. I removed the seat and noticed the connector that has 4 yellow wires going to it was smoking and melting. Any idea why it would do that? What are the wires for?? How do I replace it or fix it? I can text pictures to anybody who wants to see. I can't figure out how to upload pics from my phone. Thanks for any help

Sounds like the stator has fried.
Do the tests of the charging system to confirm.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Sounds like the stator has fried.
Do the tests of the charging system to confirm.
sounds like the stator and or the reg/rec has gone south......

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

there are your testing procedures.

if one or more components turn out to be faulty id suggest getting replacement parts from rick's motor sports web page. you can find them cheaper on ebay but you get what you pay for and its well worth a little extra money to get a product with a guarantee and is well made vs some indonesian rebuilt stator that who knows is worth a f#ck.

you can get on ebay and find your replacement wire connectors for your melted ones. they are cheap. im not real sure if ricks offers them or not or you can get replacements from honda.

another word of advice, when you put in the wire connectors dont wire nut them in or use butt connectors. your best option is to use heat shrink tubing and solder in the wires. its worth watching a video n buying the 10$ soldering gun n solder n flux to do the job right. it will resist corrosion much better soldered in and help protect your investment on the parts if you do need to buy them.

check all your wires in that area. including the wires that go to your starter solenoid. they often get cooked as well. if they look sketchy at all may as well replace the solenoid and its wires as well. far as the solenoid is concerned i think you are safe getting it from ebay if rick's doesnt offer one.

the r/r is a pretty common fail point on honda charging systems n you might just need to replace that n not the stator. its hard saying until you get in there n test the parts. the tests are simple enough n that chart i posted will guide you through it. if you have questions might search you tube for some videos. its a common thing so youll have no trouble finding some just beware not all videos are done by professionals n some are done by down right dumb asses. lol the chart is dead on for the procedure so if you find a video thats not jiving with the chart look for another.

good luck n post up your findings n fixes. could help others down the line with similar problems. you might just do a search here as well, there are many threads on the subject of r/r stator replacement to help you out. even a few write-ups.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page