CBR 954 Rought idle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

CBR 954 Rought idle

Hey friends can you pls help me with the above rough idle issue? I have replaced the fpr syncd the TB. Havent checked the plugs or coils yet. Tps is cleaned and realligned, map is cleaned too.

Whats the reason for thia dancing idle, post 2K it runs just awesome and no power loss at all. Ride it for 2km or 200 km it remains the same.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...rs&txt=YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Re: CBR 954 Rought idle

You've set the video to private mate, none of us can see it.
Check your settings on youtube for it n get back to us

Oh, to do that on youtube:
Go to the video in question while logged in.
click video manager which should be just underneath your video.
click the checkbox next to the video you want to change privacy setttings for.
click acctions (just at the top) and change it to public.
then save.

Attached Thumbnails
youtube video manager.jpg‎  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mate! Changed now. Didnt notice that earlier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 9:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I think your idle is to low. Use the adjuster knob and get it to around 1200-1300 and see if it steadies out. Choke is off, right?
And definitely check the plugs.

EDIT: Have you had this bike very long? You know these Honda early 2000's FI bikes all have a snatchy throttle anything under 3000-3500 rpm.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I think your idle is to low. Use the adjuster knob and get it to around 1200-1300 and see if it steadies out. Choke is off, right?
And definitely check the plugs.

EDIT: Have you had this bike very long? You know these Honda early 2000's FI bikes all have a snatchy throttle anything under 3000-3500 rpm.
Thanks mate, anywhere below 1500 rpm it behaves the same. forgot to mention i can smell unburnt fuel form the exhaust. cant see any liquid fuel but yes it smells rich and at times pops too with flame . I have this bike since last 2 months. before this has the F2 F3 F4 F4i and F4i never had such issue.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-26-2015, 1:57 PM

Lift the tank, and pull the small vac hose off the fuel pressure regulator. Any sign of gasoline? While it's still off, turn the key to on and watch while the pump primes. Any dripping?
I think your fpr is on the end of the fuel rail at the throttle bodies, but not 100% sure about that. Anyway, you don't want to see any fuel. If you do, replace it. That leaking fuel get sucked up the vac line and dumped into one of the throttlebodies to be burned (partially).
fpr is one of the most common failures for our bikes.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2015, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

The old one was leaking but the new one is absolutely dry! Can smell unburnt fuel of the exhaust while this jumping idle
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2015, 2:20 PM

Are you using a Power Commander? If yes, check which fuel map is installed.
Check plugs too.
I'd say check coils, but I don't know enough about them to advise.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-23-2015, 3:10 PM Thread Starter

Okay we could nail down the issue, it was the intake valves clearance being nil which checked, this caused the bike to run rich and rough at lower rpm.
as per the manual valves needs to be done at 18K miles and my bike is 28K kms run as of now. its at the mechanic now and should get it back in couple of days.
the first cylinder was blowing air out at idle instead of sucking, above 2.5K rpm it sucked in like all other cylinders.
Hopefully i would be able to rectify this issue soon and this thread will help other members facing the same issue.

on the other hand was replacing my old chain sprocket kit, and noticed that the prev setup was 16-42 instead of 16-43. Put the new set with correct gearing, hope fully this will help too a bit
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5174.JPG‎   IMG_5175.JPG‎   IMG_5176.JPG‎   IMG_5177.JPG‎  

IMG_5178.JPG‎  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-23-2015, 11:16 PM

Reputation Power: 0

How many man hours did the mechanic put in ? I've noticed exactly the same idle behavior with my 03' 954... kind of hoping its not the same issue if its going to take a fair bit of work.

Whats the potential outcomes if left alone?

Currently I've done 2000'ks on the bike and its at 31K currently.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

to get the valves adjusted at the honda dealership is about a 450-500$ job. takes them about 4 hours give or take.

when the valves get out of spec they get tighter which leaves the valve slightly open when it should be closed. this can be a serious problem. with the valve just barely open it forces the hot combustion gas thru the tiny crack and creates a blow torch affect that will burn your valves. over time that will cause them not to seat correctly and it snowballs from there. that wont happen over night but its easy to prevent by keeping your valves in spec. valves need to be checked every 16,000 miles. sometimes they dont need to be adjusted but only way to be sure is to check them. thats really just one example of a problem valves out of spec can cause. another would be poor compression. another would be excessive wear on top end parts like cams.

if your bike is @ 31,000 id say its worth checking them. not sure if you mean km or miles but really either way id think about getting them checked. lots of guys arent real diligent with keeping up on valve clearance checks. being youve only had it a couple thousand and probably arent sure what was or wasnt done by the previous owner id say get it done. better safe than sorry. its a lot more money to replace a valve and valve seat than to adjust the valves into spec.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #12 of 15 Old 03-24-2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
to get the valves adjusted at the honda dealership is about a 450-500$ job. takes them about 4 hours give or take.

when the valves get out of spec they get tighter which leaves the valve slightly open when it should be closed. this can be a serious problem. with the valve just barely open it forces the hot combustion gas thru the tiny crack and creates a blow torch affect that will burn your valves. over time that will cause them not to seat correctly and it snowballs from there. that wont happen over night but its easy to prevent by keeping your valves in spec. valves need to be checked every 16,000 miles. sometimes they dont need to be adjusted but only way to be sure is to check them. thats really just one example of a problem valves out of spec can cause. another would be poor compression. another would be excessive wear on top end parts like cams.

if your bike is @ 31,000 id say its worth checking them. not sure if you mean km or miles but really either way id think about getting them checked. lots of guys arent real diligent with keeping up on valve clearance checks. being youve only had it a couple thousand and probably arent sure what was or wasnt done by the previous owner id say get it done. better safe than sorry. its a lot more money to replace a valve and valve seat than to adjust the valves into spec.
954Kevin Thanks again. Talking in K's over here in NZ. I was born in Aylesbury UK and moved here 20 years ago.

I'll investigate adjusting idle speed before I take her in to the shop. I agree I have no idea what the previous owner had done other than keep her in absolutely mint condition.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-24-2015, 4:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3r View Post
954Kevin Thanks again. Talking in K's over here in NZ. I was born in Aylesbury UK and moved here 20 years ago.

I'll investigate adjusting idle speed before I take her in to the shop. I agree I have no idea what the previous owner had done other than keep her in absolutely mint condition.
Well India is much cheaper considering the lumpsum charge of the mechanic rather than hourly rate. Replacing the shims and the entire work would cost me appx 120-150 USD all inclusive

Just remove your airbox and the start the engine and let it idle without the airbox on the top. place hand over each cylinder and see it they suck or blow air. it should suck and if it doesn't then you need to get this done.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-24-2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays09 View Post
Well India is much cheaper considering the lumpsum charge of the mechanic rather than hourly rate. Replacing the shims and the entire work would cost me appx 120-150 USD all inclusive

Just remove your airbox and the start the engine and let it idle without the airbox on the top. place hand over each cylinder and see it they suck or blow air. it should suck and if it doesn't then you need to get this done.
Cheers I will try this. Be good to know before spending on it....

Will check and post back my findings...Im installing a new air filter over the weekend before a spin over to Miruwai (Google it! Its a phenomenal ride)
post #15 of 15 Old 03-24-2015, 7:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

just keep in mind that that method may tell you if there is a intake valve way out of spec it wont tell you anything about the exhaust valves and honestly waiting until the intake valve is so far out of spec that its blowing air out of the throttle bodies is not an ideal situation. thats what i would consider an extreme scenario. valves will be well out of spec before you get blowback out thru the intake.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page