Cam chain tensioner - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2015, 1:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Cam chain tensioner

morning blade lovers,
i am doing a bunch of maintance on my blade, i just did plugs, coolant, air filter, oil,etc. how can i tell if I need to replace the cam chain tensioner? when my bike is cold or while wam up i can hear it ticking, once warm up stops. should I replace it or is it normal. Also the book says at 16K to inspect and adjust valves. mine are not ticking so i am not going to touch them. here is pic of the plugs i pulled out from the blade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 3:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Cam chain tensioner

What mileage are you at? If it's way over the recommended service interval just do what the manual says and consider it a gift.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 3:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Those plugs look like they are burning good, just a little worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 4:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

plugs do look like they were burning good and consistent. def was time to replace them tho. you can tell mostly from the center iridium diode. if you notice on the new ones its has a nice square angle around the top where it flattens out n the ones you took out are rounded over pretty well. they get much better spark dispersal and strength when there is a nice sharp edge.

valves actually get tighter as they go out of spec and make less noise so if you stick to your reasoning on that you might want to give them a check. : )

tight valves can cause some serious problems. when they get tight they wont close all the way and when there is just a tiny bit of a space between the valve and its seat when the gas achieves combustion it forces that burning gas thru that tiny crack n gives it a blow torch affect n can burn your valves. other things too like accelerated cam wear n so on. lots of reasons to make sure its in spec n really only one not to. its not as bad as you might think it is to check them. getting the air box off is about 1/3-1/2 of the work really. now if they turn out to be out of spec your looking at about a 4 hour job for the at home mechanic give or take.

its not uncommon for the cct to make some noise on these bikes. if the cct has failed youd definitely know it. it makes a bad noise thats more than just a little ticking after start up n just keeps making it. im not a huge fan of the oem automatic cct because its spring loaded and will just get weaker n weaker over time based on that design. im not into fixing things that arent broke either but personally my plan is to put the ape manual cct on somewhere after 20.000 miles or if it gives out before then. i doubt its having any issues if your under those miles myself. thats not to say it might not be, things do happen but like i said if your not real sure based on what your hearing im going to say its most likely ok because they make a very noticeable racket when they have failed.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 02-04-2015 at 4:19 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page