Oil in Air Box? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 2:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Oil in Air Box?

I just took apart my airbox and found a little bit of oil deposits in there. I thought this was strange as oil should never be able to get up there from the top of the engine like that. Any ideas if I should be worried or what would cause this? I attached a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
image (1).jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 2:55 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Oil in Air Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthedriver View Post
I just took apart my airbox and found a little bit of oil deposits in there. I thought this was strange as oil should never be able to get up there from the top of the engine like that. Any ideas if I should be worried or what would cause this? I attached a picture for reference.
That looks pretty nasty. Definitely by the pic it looks like there is a lot of debris in there. That shouldn't be, but I don't know if it's just the pic or not. There should be a breather from the top of the cam cover that feeds crankcase pressure into the air box. Over time it can put an oily film into the airbox as it kinda "recycles" that air so it doesn't bleed to atmosphere. Probably not a problem, but you definitely need to clean it out and get a new clean filter in there.

What kind of bike do you have? Looks like something with FI.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 3:25 PM Thread Starter

oops sorry should have included the model of the bike in my original post, it's an 01 929RR. I did notice that breather tube so I think you're right that that's where it came from. I did notice the air filter looked a bit dirty as well although I'm surprised because the bike only has 10,000 miles and the first filter change isn't due until 12K. Attached is a picture of the air filter, although it's kinda hard to see how dirty it is from the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 4:51 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthedriver View Post
oops sorry should have included the model of the bike in my original post, it's an 01 929RR. I did notice that breather tube so I think you're right that that's where it came from. I did notice the air filter looked a bit dirty as well although I'm surprised because the bike only has 10,000 miles and the first filter change isn't due until 12K. Attached is a picture of the air filter, although it's kinda hard to see how dirty it is from the pic.
Yeah, change that bad boy, clean out the Airbox and wipe off the butterflies. Should be good to go. Even if the bike only has 10k on, it is 13 years old. Could have had a hard dirty life.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-01-2015, 7:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Yeah, change that bad boy, clean out the Airbox and wipe off the butterflies. Should be good to go. Even if the bike only has 10k on, it is 13 years old. Could have had a hard dirty life.
Definitely time for a new filter. I hardly drive my Jeep anymore, maybe 2000 miles a year, and with a open element air filter and all the blowing dirt in my area I still have to clean it every year.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, I'm on it, maybe I'll start working on all the 12K service items as I have time since I don't know the history on the bike. Any suggestions for the filter? I always buy K&N reusable filters for my vehicles, should I do the same for my bike?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Reputation Power: 26

K&N not rated well and makes less HP, however small it may be, than the stock filter.

Just get a stock OEM one...
Can sometimes find good deals on ebay and such.

AIR CLEANER 00-01

Part #6

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
K&N not rated well and makes less HP, however small it may be, than the stock filter.

Just get a stock OEM one...
Can sometimes find good deals on ebay and such.

AIR CLEANER 00-01

Part #6
I learned here that stock is best.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 3:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

oem filters for the win. i had a dyno chart where they tested oem vs k&n vs bmc and the oem made better power in every situation. they tested with oem, slip-on and full exhausts using each of the three filters on each set-up and the oem filter performed best in every test. ive lost the chart but i posted it somewhere along the line....

thats not saying that the oem filter performed better in actually filtering the air but it breathes better so makes more power.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 10 Old 02-06-2015, 9:00 PM Thread Starter

duly noted, thanks for the feedback! I checked on ebay and all they have is K&N so looks like i'll be ordering from the link Camper provided as it's half the price the shop wants for it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page