Spark plugs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2015, 3:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Spark plugs

Hi all, today I decided to change my spark plugs on my 2005 cbr 1000 because I don't know when the last owner did it. I pulled them out and they were NGK iridiums, and I was putting in autolites regular ones because at the time I didn't want to spend a lot of money and they've been sitting for a few months. Anyway, I made sure the gap was good at around .035 and I installed everything. The bike runs but it runs like crap.

My question is, are these bikes suppose to only use iridium plugs? If not, the only other thing I can think of is the NGKs didn't have the metal washer on them and the autolites came with them so I used them. Could this be my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2015, 2:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Re: Spark plugs

You should make sure those autolites are compatible with your bike, I know on my 929rr I can only run Iridium plugs according to the manual.

Here are the plugs that Honda recommends for your bike:
SPARK PLUG (VUH27ES)
(VUH27ES)(DENSO),A AC 2A 3AC

S/PLG (IMR9C-9HES)
(IMR9C-9HES) (NGK),A AC

I could be wrong but your plugs should have a straight section seen below, do your autolites have this?
also i'm thinking the washer might have bailed when you removed the NGK's they could still be stuck in the head and stacked with the Autolites washers. (highly unlikely but possible)

2001 929RR
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650

Last edited by Pablo.gyds03; 02-02-2015 at 2:14 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-2015, 3:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

ive never seen a plug without a crush washer. was the bike running better before you swapped out the plugs? if so i would think your problem lies with the plugs.

the service manual says to use ngk so thats what i use. im not real sure of the autolites? im not sure what the real differences are between the regular ole plugs vs the nkg in terms of actual performance values like the amount of spark one produces vs the other but id imagine it could be a problem.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2015, 9:42 PM Thread Starter

Im pretty sure my NGK ones I removed had the washer on it I just didn't notice it at first. I looked online and my plugs are autolites 4203 I believe, and it showed them being incompatible. Tomorrow I'm putting the NGKs back in to see if it helps my issue.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 PM

id give that a try. i know it sucks having to buy expensive plugs but not all plugs are created equal. i know im not telling you anything but these bike engines are serious performance machines with high compression and i guess it calls for excellence in the plug department.

i got 4 ngk plugs about a month ago on ebay for 35$ shipped. the cheapest i found them for now was 42$ shipped but thats a pretty good price really. ive seen them for as much as 17$ a pop.

Honda CBR1000RR NGK 6777 Spark Plug Iridium IMR9C 9H 4 Pack | eBay

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 7 Old 02-03-2015, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

I put the NGK Iridiums back in and she's back to running way better than the autolites. Don't always go with what advance autoparts says!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2015, 9:47 PM

well sucks to try n save a few bucks n end up spending more but at least it was an easy fix.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page