954 scary cold start sound - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

954 scary cold start sound

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 954 a couple days ago with 26,000 miles and I realized that it has a loud tick or rattle. The ticking comes from the top end of the motor and kind of sounds like a bad CCT. Other than that, the bike runs perfectly and pulls like a train. No misfires or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"

Last edited by rdeuvletian; 10-26-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-05-2015, 6:37 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Re: 954 scary cold start sound

Mine sounds similar, definitely not as bad though, but it is when it is around 35 degrees F or below. Check your oil level and make sure it's not really dirty.
I believe when it is around freezing or below, the oil viscosity is not quite correct (10-40) for the temp and just needs to circulate some and warm a bit before it will properly circulate and be fully effective.

Just my thoughts. I'm all ears if there are other answers/opinions.

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #3 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 2:07 AM Thread Starter

That's for the reply, the problem is that the weather is nice and warm here so it shouldn't be hard for the oil to circulate quickly. My oil and filter are brand new castrol power one, so that's good too. I'm really worried that there could be something wrong with the bike.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 8:32 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Piston slap maybe? Odd how it goes away after a minute or two. Cam chain wouldn't do that unless the tensioner is hanging up, then for some reason fixes itself. Tough call to make.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 8:44 AM Thread Starter

I really have no idea what it could be, but the sound is coming from the top end where the valves are. What would cause piston slap? This only happens on cold starts.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 9:07 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeuvletian View Post
I really have no idea what it could be, but the sound is coming from the top end where the valves are. What would cause piston slap? This only happens on cold starts.
The piston slapping against the cylinder wall due to the walls heating up and expanding, opening the tolerance between the piston and cylinder wall. Thus the piston "slaps" against the cylinder wall until the piston heats up and expands as well, closing the tolerance. At least I believe that's what piston slap is. Once everything heats up properly the sound goes away. No real way of fixing that, unless tolerances are way off.

I would hope others with more experience with it will post comments.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Am I off base by guessing valves?
Done a valve clearance check lately?
post #8 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jondog, I haven't done anything but an oil and filter change. I've only had the bike for about 5 days. The problem is that here in Egypt we don't really have any mechanics i would trust to do something like this. All they're good for is basic maintenance and I don't let them do that either. I'm not feeling comfortable doing the valve check myself to be honest.

The bike is running really great other than that annoying sound. Does it sound like something I should worry about? Should I by any chance try to return the bike to the showroom where i bought it?

post #9 of 21 Old 02-06-2015, 6:08 PM

A valve clearance check is something you should really consider trying to learn how to do. If you cant get your hands on Honda service manual for your bike, I can help you out with that. The manual will give you step by step instructions. A valve clearance check is something that Honda requires every 16,000 miles (25,000 km's?)
Who knows if your bike has had one.
You could ask the dealer you bought the bike from, but if you have trust issues with them, well...

I don't want to distract you from your original question about that ticking noise, because I was just taking guess.
I'm not any kind of tech, just been working on my own bikes and cars, so my experience is limited.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-07-2015, 1:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jondog, I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with the service manual. My email is [email protected] incase you are able to email it to me. Thanks again

post #11 of 21 Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM

I sent the website to your email, I hope it's allowed in your country. I understand things are kind of tumultuous for Egypt right now. Good Luck.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much Jondog, you've been a great help!

post #13 of 21 Old 02-08-2015, 2:53 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Hello. My 954 does the exact same thing. I agree with either piston slap and hopefully not valves but certainly possible. My bike is also new to me. My local mechanic is right around the corner. I will swing over and see what he says about it and keep you posted.

Beyond fear is freedom.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-08-2015, 8:36 AM Thread Starter

I just wanna thank everyone for trying to help me with this issue. I have a couple updates to add.

Sometimes when I start her up from cold, the sound only lasts for about 5 seconds and goes away, other times it lasts up to a minute. I started her today, and while the auto-choke was still on, i revved it up to about 3k and I think i could hear the cam chain rattling around in there because the sound increased proportionally with the rpm's.

After it warmed up a little, I put a couple rags in the exhaust outlet and held the throttle to about 4k rpm and again, i think I could hear the cam chain rattle. Do you guys think this sound could be a CCT on it's way out? Maybe the internal spring is weak that's why it sometimes makes the sound for longer times, and sometimes just a few seconds, but after it's warmed up the CCT has enough force to keep the cam chain relatively tight?

post #15 of 21 Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Reputation Power: 26

Well a CCT has a ratcheting action, therefore it cannot retract. When it goes bad, it basically doesn't have the spring tension to push it to the next ratcheting/stopping point.

Sooo.... It could be the CCT, but you should hear the noise a little bit at all times, especially at certain rpms like you said ~4000.

But it is probably something else also (crucial or not) making the noise...

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page