Fireblade Fork Dimensions 2000-2015 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-08-2015, 7:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fireblade Fork Dimensions 2000-2015

Hi guys, Im posting this question because I'm looking for a chart or similar of Fireblade fork dimensions from 2000 onwards.

I have bought a 2001 929 Fireblade and the front fork stanchions are pitted.

I am looking at what alternate model forks will fit a 929.
I know that the 929 fork tube dimensions are:
50 mm top triple clamp
53 mm bottom triple clamp
715 or 716 mm from the top of the fork cap to the front wheel spindle centre.

There's heaps on the net saying that the 929 stanchion is 43 mm etc etc but nothing that really lists the dimensions I have listed above for all of the blades from 2000 -2015.

Does anyone know where i can find a chart or similar that lists all of this info?

Thanks.

Swainoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-13-2015, 3:11 PM

Re: Fireblade Fork Dimensions 2000-2015

Would it be less hassle to simply purchase the tubes, if your local Honda dealer doesnt have them Racetech does, see below.

Chrome Fork Tube (each) FTNK 0050447 $183.25
Black TiN Coated Fork Tube (each) FTNK 0740024 $346.00
Gold TiN Coated Fork Tube (each) FTNK 0730055 $338.25

Unless you mean the outer bits are pitted?

GMU

Last edited by Greasemeup; 02-13-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 7:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Greasemeup I think I might go for those new Racetech tubes - I see you're also in Brizzy. There's a crowd here in Brisbane that re chrome fork tubes (stanchions) called Rad Hard Chroming but I like the idea of new ones.

After much research on the net and talking to a couple of bike shops etc I decided to rebuild my existing forks. There are a few factors for this:

- Risk in changing the bikes geometry if the fork length was different
- Possible front wheel /disc/ calipers and mounts required
- Risk of getting some tatty or scratched up forks
- Installing racetech gold valves should give me as good performance (or better) as newer model forks anyway.
- A suspension tech told me that oem road bike forks are build to a cost and I should go the gold valve route.

However after following bacdocs useful guide (and the workshop manual) on how to disassemble the forks I have some new questions about disassembling the damper units to install the gold valves. Bacdoc didnt do that.

I might start a new thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2015, 2:55 PM

Hey I didnt realize you were in Brisbane, happy days. I am in 4053 post code.

I would be happy to get together with you if you want / need help or a curious eye. I will be getting Racetech springs more suited to my weight to install soon as well.

I watched a few youtube videos on fork services for similar types of forks, cartridge types, as well as reading over the manual and it doesn't look that complicated. The manual even tell you how to stop the cartridge from turning whilst you loosen the retaining bolt.

Racetechs Aussie importer is Shock Treatment in Victoria. For fork springs I compared prices from O/S and with freight the local prices are competitive. Shock Treatment Home Page

If you are buying tubes and gold valves the savings from buying O/S will soon start to add up though, watch out for the dreaded duty if you go over $1k with freight.

Final note, I have heard of people using VTR front ends on the 900 to get a 17" front wheel, but the hassle is hardly worth the reward I am told.

Cheers,

GMU..
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Reputation Power: 17

You won't do better than this for new tubes: Lots of race guys go here.
05-0447

SOAR Novice #22
Streetbike 06 KTM 950 Supermoto
Vintage Racebike 94 YZF 750R
GTU Endurance Racebike 01 CBR929
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 6:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemeup View Post
Hey I didnt realize you were in Brisbane, happy days. I am in 4053 post code.

I would be happy to get together with you if you want / need help or a curious eye. I will be getting Racetech springs more suited to my weight to install soon as well.

I watched a few youtube videos on fork services for similar types of forks, cartridge types, as well as reading over the manual and it doesn't look that complicated. The manual even tell you how to stop the cartridge from turning whilst you loosen the retaining bolt.

Racetechs Aussie importer is Shock Treatment in Victoria. For fork springs I compared prices from O/S and with freight the local prices are competitive. Shock Treatment Home Page

If you are buying tubes and gold valves the savings from buying O/S will soon start to add up though, watch out for the dreaded duty if you go over $1k with freight.

Final note, I have heard of people using VTR front ends on the 900 to get a 17" front wheel, but the hassle is hardly worth the reward I am told.

Cheers,

GMU..
Great Im in 4034 so Im just north of you a suburb or 2. Im not sure how to pm you but Ill work it out if you dont beat me to it.
Im going the whole hog with my front end - springs, compression, and rebound race tech gold valves, bushes, seals etc. I dropped my fork stanchions off today to get rechromed, and my shock to rad shock repairs. Ive got it all pretty well sussed except for how to get my cartridges undone to do the rebound valve as they seem to be a sealed unit and not easy to undo like yours but ill get there.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip omnivore. Are they US based?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 6:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swainoes View Post
Thanks for the tip omnivore. Are they US based?
Sorry mate was just being lazy. I see theyre US based and ship everywhere. Again thanks for the tip.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-19-2015, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swainoes View Post
. Ive got it all pretty well sussed except for how to get my cartridges undone to do the rebound valve as they seem to be a sealed unit and not easy to undo like yours but ill get there.
I watched a few videos on fork cartridges as well, it seems some are what they call "penned" which is a fancy way of saying they smash a few threads through the tube into small voids behind the threads. this stops it from turning and coming undone.

The solution is too carefully drill out the "penned" threads without drilling through too far, then you should be able to crack the threads loose with a breaker bar.

Hope this is relevant to what you need.

I havent got a clue how to PM either,

TXT me on 04599

Last edited by Greasemeup; 02-19-2015 at 3:18 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
fireblade fork

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page