TriPle tree steering stabilizer - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-13-2015, 5:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

TriPle tree steering stabilizer

I messed up haha... I took the bolt off from the triple tree to put a stabilizer on but the forks raised through and I can't put the bolt back on... Any ideas? Its probably not safe to drive to the dealer huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-13-2015, 6:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: TriPle tree steering stabilizer

No don't ride the bike like that. You need to raise the frame up so you can put the bolt back on.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-13-2015, 6:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Can you lift the front of the bike without using the bottom of the forks to lift it by? If you don't have the proper stand for that, can you suspend the front of the frame from the ceiling rafters? If not, can you remove the fairings and use a bottle jack to lift the front of the bike? I've even seen people use a folding ladder to suspend the front.
Once you get it lifted and no pressure on the forks or wheel, you can loosen the bottom clamp pinch bolts and get straightened out. Don't forget to properly re-torque those bolts. I believe they're supposed to be 20 lb.ft.

I sure wouldn't ride it anywhere in that state!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 1:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Have you loosened the clip-ons? Loosen them and the top clamp and see if it moves down any.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 2:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo View Post
Have you loosened the clip-ons? Loosen them and the top clamp and see if it moves down any.
i dont think that will help. lol whats happened here is the lower triple clamp pinch bolts were loose enough to allow the forks to slide up thru it. youll need to raise the bike somehow. if you dont have a front steering stem stand you can put a couple ratchet straps around the LOWER triple clamp n raise it back up to its intended place. once its up high enough to get the bolt on the steering stem you could probably just tighten that bolt until its at the required torque. which is 76ftlbs. once its tightened ake sure you tighten the lower triple clamp pinch bolts to 20ftlbs. once you have the lower pinch bolts tightened you can remove the upper triple clamp bolt and it wont slide down.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
i dont think that will help. lol whats happened here is the lower triple clamp pinch bolts were loose enough to allow the forks to slide up thru it. youll need to raise the bike somehow. if you dont have a front steering stem stand you can put a couple ratchet straps around the LOWER triple clamp n raise it back up to its intended place. once its up high enough to get the bolt on the steering stem you could probably just tighten that bolt until its at the required torque. which is 76ftlbs. once its tightened ake sure you tighten the lower triple clamp pinch bolts to 20ftlbs. once you have the lower pinch bolts tightened you can remove the upper triple clamp bolt and it wont slide down.
I didn't read that part, but if everything is loose, the weight of the bike alone would let the forks slide back through. Then on the kickstand, you can ease a fork down, one at a time. Unfortunately, this has happened and fixed in this manner trackside. Obviously, not the easiest way to do it, but will work.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 3:22 PM

might be a good thing it happened if he didnt intentionally loosen the lower pinch bolts. i dont know why he would have to fit a stabilizer so they were probably already loosened. id rather find out they were loose like this n know to correct them then keep riding wondering wtf was going on with my front end. if those lowers are loose you can really twist the wheel out of square with the bars pretty good. so if he was riding it like that no wonder he bought the stabilizer! anyway should be an easy fix n like i said itll certainly handle better with those lowers tightened up as they should be. : )

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 6:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, I guess the previous owner was screwing around with it I have no idea haha... I ended up muscling it up with about 6 people. I guess you just can't expect things to be right cause I never would of expected the lower to be that loose. Any bike from now on I'll have to check every aspect I suppose... This also fixed my problem of the bike steering hard right. Thanks everyone for the help and quick responses! By the way the eBay damper I bought was nicer than I expected, would recommend for your casual rider.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 6:33 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Sorry I wasnt any help on your issue, but could I ask you to measure the distance from bolt center to bolt center on the mounting bracket that goes to the tank mount? I'm curious to know if that dimension is the same on my 96 RR. Damper mounts are hard to come by on old girls like mine and was wondering if I could cheat and use the 929/954 brackets. Thanks. Oh, and glad you got it sorted out.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Sorry I wasnt any help on your issue, but could I ask you to measure the distance from bolt center to bolt center on the mounting bracket that goes to the tank mount? I'm curious to know if that dimension is the same on my 96 RR. Damper mounts are hard to come by on old girls like mine and was wondering if I could cheat and use the 929/954 brackets. Thanks. Oh, and glad you got it sorted out.
I have something that might work for you. I have some extra Scotts damper brackets, no damper though...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6293_zpsde527b10.jpg‎   16210_1003369786343376_4044244762106466230_n.jpg‎  

Last edited by Mikeo; 02-14-2015 at 9:47 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 7:03 PM

do you have a link for the stabilizer you bought n wouldnt mind seeing a pic of it now that its back together. im interested in the stabilizer but also would like to get some closure after seeing bike how it was in the original pic! lol

post #12 of 17 Old 02-15-2015, 3:34 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
I have something that might work for you. I have some extra Scotts damper brackets, no damper though...
Damn Mike, I'm just contact you with for all my RR needs. I'm gonna need to kill some more overtime. PM coming....

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #13 of 17 Old 02-15-2015, 6:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
I would be interested to see if this would work as well
post #14 of 17 Old 02-15-2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Damn Mike, I'm just contact you with for all my RR needs. I'm gonna need to kill some more overtime. PM coming....
I hope you're at work now, because I just got a load of trick hard to get parts, that I am not going to use.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-15-2015, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:

Mmmmmmm, nice bits

Running a scotts myself and really like it, but I'd love that Ohlins set up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page