replacing Brake resorvior - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 9:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

replacing Brake resorvior

Morning blade lovers,
I ordered a aftermarket res for front brake. i was wondering what is the right way of replacing it? drain fluid from calipers, or empty the res and just remove it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Re: replacing Brake resorvior

The best way would be to drain the entire system and replace all the fluids with fresh. Never hurts to have fresh fluid and lines bled when doing that kind of work. It's not that tough a job either. Good luck!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

The best way in my opinion if you do not have a quick bleeder is to empty out the reservoir, then disconnect the reservoir from the hose that it's attached to. Make sure the oil inside the tube does not fall out . Then connect the new reservoir. Now, squeeze the tube that connects to the reservoir and master. The brake oil should now be visible inside the new reservoir because of the pressure on the tube. Do not let go of the hose until you add fresh brake fluid. Once that's completed, you can let go of the brake hose and begin to bleed the system from the calipers. Once you're getting the fresh oil out of the calipers, you can stop and button everything up. The reason for this method is because once you get air inside of the lines, it's a PITA to bleed the system to make sure all air pockets are out. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
The best way in my opinion if you do not have a quick bleeder is to empty out the reservoir, then disconnect the reservoir from the hose that it's attached to. Make sure the oil inside the tube does not fall out . Then connect the new reservoir. Now, squeeze the tube that connects to the reservoir and master. The brake oil should now be visible inside the new reservoir because of the pressure on the tube. Do not let go of the hose until you add fresh brake fluid. Once that's completed, you can let go of the brake hose and begin to bleed the system from the calipers. Once you're getting the fresh oil out of the calipers, you can stop and button everything up. The reason for this method is because once you get air inside of the lines, it's a PITA to bleed the system to make sure all air pockets are out. Good luck
Well I *guess* you could it that way... Great answer Sab!
post #5 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
Well I *guess* you could it that way... Great answer Sab!
Thanks, I've banged my head up against a wall a few time trying to remove those dam air pockets. You learn tricks along the way that make life just a little easier. They're unconventional but they do work...
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

thank you for feedback, that's what I thought of doing but wanted make sure, I have Master bleed kit, going to empty the res, and replace then refill w new fluid, and flush calipers.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2015, 2:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
Great tip!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM

I didn't have a lot of trouble when I replaced my lines. I just opened the bleeders on the calipers, attached a hose to them and submersed the ends in a bottle of brake fluid.
After filling the resevoir and letting it drain with the cap opened, I pumped the lever maintaining the fluid level until there were no bubbles coming out of the bleed lines. I think the most important part is making sure the hose attached to the bleeders stays submerged in fluid so it can't suck air in when you pump the brakes.
I think I found this method on YouTube after looking for how to bleed brake lines or may even have been on Galfers feed.
Seemed to work and really wasn't very hard to do.

Last edited by Lobsta13; 02-18-2015 at 10:13 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
I didn't have a lot of trouble when I replaced my lines. I just opened the bleeders on the calipers, attached a hose to them and submersed the ends in a bottle of brake fluid.
After filling the resevoir and letting it drain with the cap opened, I pumped the lever maintaining the fluid level until there were no bubbles coming out of the bleed lines. I think the most important part is making sure the hose attached to the bleeders stays submerged in fluid so it can't suck air in when you pump the brakes.
I think I found this method on YouTube after looking for how to bleed brake lines or may even have been on Galfers feed.
Seemed to work and really wasn't very hard to do.
I have a dry brake system I have to fill with oil. I will try your tip on it. Thanks for sharing, I've never heard of this method...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page