No pressure on clutch lever - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

No pressure on clutch lever

I just installed a new clutch cable on my 2001 929rr (it was missing when I bought the bike) but I am not feeling any pressure at all on the lever. Does the engine need to be running for there to be pressure? Anything else I could be missing? Seems like it should be pretty straight forward so I'm a bit confused unless this means the clutch is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: No pressure on clutch lever

Should make no difference whether engine is running or not. How was the clutch feel before you took the old cable off? Sounds like it's just a matter of proper adjustment.
post #3 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

yeah I didn't think the engine should be running, but couldn't think of anything else. I don't know how the lever felt before because there wasn't a cable on it when I got it. I tried messing with the adjustment and I took it to the limit and still couldn't get any pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Chances are the clutch cover was removed and they just put the cover back on without making sure the clutch cover mechanism was properly married with the pressure plate. If there is no play in your clutch cable then you will have to find a copy of the proper procedure to install the clutch cover and clutch cable. Make sure you buy your clutch gasket before removing the cover. No gaskets will probably lead to oil leaks
post #5 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the clutch cover has a form fitted o-ring. ?

Are you sure you had all the slack out of the line when you tightened the cable at the clutch arm?
post #6 of 88 Old 02-17-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sabotage, I had that thought that maybe something inside wasn't hooked up correctly.

Jondog9, not sure what you mean with your question. The only two adjustments I saw were at the bottom where the two bolts go on the cable bracket and at the handle. I tried adjusting the handle adjustment all the way out to allow the cable to pull as far as possible and I adjust the bottom pretty far (but not all the way). maybe I'll try adjust that one all the way out too and see if I get anything. I'll try to take a picture to post if I can too.
post #7 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 4:31 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Hey there Eyedriver, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by the clutch was "missing"? Are we talking just the plates or the entire inner and outer basket assemblies too? The lever pull on a stock clutch is pretty easy and linear. Mine however with the Barnett springs gives you arm pump in seconds. If your lever just flops around with no tension on it at all then there is definitley a problem. Pics inside and out would help greatly. Sometimes the actuator that's in the outer cover isn't engaged properly to the lifter pin. Also putting the clutch lifter pin in after the pressure plate can mess things up too.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Just the clutch cable was missing. I was under the impression (foolishly I now realize) that I would just need to replace the cable and be good to go. I haven't taken the clutch cover off at all yet. I'll probably have to do that this weekend and see if I can figure out what's not working.
post #9 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 4:08 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthedriver View Post
Just the clutch cable was missing. I was under the impression (foolishly I now realize) that I would just need to replace the cable and be good to go. I haven't taken the clutch cover off at all yet. I'll probably have to do that this weekend and see if I can figure out what's not working.
I clearly didn't see the word CABLE in your first post. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Maybe I should stop posting at 0430 in the morning

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

haha no worries. it does make a big difference!
post #11 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 PM

Why was the clutch cable missing? I mean, this isn't making sense to me. What's the back story?
post #12 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

The guy I bought it from said it broke. He hadn't had it for very long and it had a few things that needed fixed but it only had 10k on the clock and it seemed to run well. hopefully I don't regret picking it up.
post #13 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

post up a couple pictures before you pull the cover. id like to see a pic of the cable hooked into the clutch lever and pull all the slack out of the cable by going to the other end n holding the outer sheath and pulling the actual cable out all the way. then hold it up to the mounting bracket on the clutch cover so we can see how much cable there is with it pulled tight. im wondering if it might not just be the wrong cable. might give us a better idea if we had some pictures. i know its a fairly simple concept to install one but maybe your just doing it wrong. ive seen people get the wrong cable before as well.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #14 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 PM

post #15 of 88 Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

will do, it's dark now, but I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page