Power Commander Concerns - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 3:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Power Commander Concerns

Whats up guys! I just purchased a Power Commander III for $50. I have no idea how it works and if its worth installing on my stock 929. The only modifications it has are -1/+1 gearing. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 3:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Power Commander Concerns

well on a dead stock bike you can still get some extra hp and smooth out the throttle. its hard saying what kind of gain youd get in terms of hp. probably not a lot but hey hp is hp right? right. they are fairly simple to hook up. if you search for cbr 929 pc3 install guide they have a pdf on their web site. its really just a few wires. you unhook a connector coming from the ecu n put it in the middle n hook up a ground n power to your battery. you an get maps from their site to put on n id wager there is one specifically for a bone stock 929. might see what you can find on their site for your bike with a oem exhaust. like i said at the very least you should be able to get some smoother throttle response. the 929 is honda's first fi bike n its kinda snatchy coming on throttle. so that would be nice to smooth out a bit. : )

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 4:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

^

Is it a USB model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 5:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok! Im going to do a bit more studyig on the thing and hopefully I can figure it out. I was told that when installing it had to be dyno-tuned. Is that right?

Thats what I bought
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
post #5 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 6:09 PM

no it doesnt have to be dyno tuned. with the pc you can make adjustments in many areas in conjunction with a dyno machine. you make the adjustments and measure the results with the dyno. however there are several specific maps you can download from their site that are specific to some performance upgrades. things like a map specifically for the 929 with say a 2 brothers slip on, or say a d&d slip on. different maps for different bolt on upgrades where someone has already taken your specific bike added that upgrade and tuned it accordingly using a dyno. then they put that work on the site where all you need to do is download it and install it on the pc3 using a pc. there is also software that youll need to download to interface with the pc. yours is a pci version not the usb so youll need the pci cord which you need to hook it up to you pc. they are kinda finicky about which pci cables will actually work so if you need to buy one youll need to do some research on a replacement that will in fact work.

there are tons of maps for different things. im sure there will be a map just for a stock 929 with the oem exhaust. like i said its probably no going to make a ton of extra power but it should make some and smooth out your throttle.

here is a link to the pc site. your best place to get info and or help installing and understanding the pc. they have tech support there available.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...ade)&year=2001

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

954Kevin you are the man!!!

Looking at my bike I guess I have a Scorpion exhaust haha
post #7 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 9:55 PM

Your PowerCommander (PC) requires a serial cable. Hardly any computers these days even have a serial port, that's why I asked if your PC was the USB type.
You can buy a USB to serial cable at any computer store, Get a decent quality, but you don't have to spend $50 just because it has gold plated connectors. Just make sure the cable comes with the installation disc for your computer.
Once you get that installed, you go to DynoJets site and download the computer software and install that on your computer. Then you're ready to install a map onto the power commander. Go stab around on DynoJets site and you'll see what Kevin and I are talking about.
If the unit works correctly, you'll be very happy with it, I can promise you that. Your throttle will be much smoother and better behaved. Throttle control will be notably improved.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 PM

i would call the number on the web page and ask if they have a specific cable they suggest or if they have one they can sell you. or look on ebay for a original pci cable that came with the pc. ive heard several people that have bought cables from other sources and have had trouble getting their pc to recognize the unit when its plugged up. some work and some dont. youd think one cable is the same as another but apparently they are pretty touchy. pc might have a source they cab recommend that is for sure compatible. i mean you might get lucky n not run into problems but ive read on several forums where people did hae trouble with one cable n not another. just a heads up.

imo throttle control is a huge part of riding well. very important. so even if its just for the fact youll get better response its well worth getting it hooked up. if you think its more than you can do yourself then it would be a fairly cheap thing to get the bike to your local shop n have them do it. it probably wouldnt take them a half hour to install and another half hour to throw a map on there for you. a decent shop could do this with their eyes closed n probably have the cables n everything they would need to do it on hand. of course a big part of the fun if you ask me is trying out a few different maps. when your talking about maps for a simple slip-on exhaust the differences arent going to be real huge between one for a yosh pipe vs a scorpion pipe or a micron n so on. you might like one better than another. the differences arent going to be enough to cause you bike any problems or poor running conditions. even tho those maps are tested every bike is individual n one might be a little better than another. so you can try several n pick the one that you like the best. how you ride your bike and your demands on it are what will dictate which map you think suites your needs best. peak hp n torque numbers arent necessarily everything.

post #9 of 27 Old 02-19-2015, 1:15 AM Thread Starter

Yea a local shop here charges me about $190 to throw it on there and map it. Yea im going to see where I can get that cable. Thanks guys I appreciate your input!
post #10 of 27 Old 02-19-2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo9809 View Post
Yea a local shop here charges me about $190 to throw it on there and map it. Yea im going to see where I can get that cable. Thanks guys I appreciate your input!
190 is probably for a custom tune where they tune it using a dyno. imo i think that would be a little overkill if its just got a slip on.

its super simple really to hook up n put a map on it. i mean if you have an computer skills it shouldnt be a problem for you. even pretty basic pc knowledge would be enough.

here is a link from the power commander site for the cable. if it were me id buy it from them.

https://cart.dynojet.com/p-818-repla...ir-models.aspx

post #11 of 27 Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Im in NYC they charged me around $480 to do a custom map on my 09 R1 and I did the install. The total price was with tax and for the main and secondary injectors. My corrected numbers were 159rwhp with the pc map and 166rwhp with the custom tune; 172rwhp uncorrected... Idk the average price elsewhere but they really hurt us here with prices but what you get back is worth it.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo9809 View Post
That might not be a bad deal if they're a reputable shop and you just want to set it and forget it.

But if you want to install it yourself, like Kevin said, it's not that difficult. I also have an older PC with the serial port, still use it, and have tried 4 different maps so far.

fwiw, I've tried 2 different usb/serial cables, a $15 cheapie from Fry's and that $50 one I mentioned earlier from Radio Shack. They both seem to work just fine, can't tell the difference.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

They said it was just to throw it on there. Its about the only shop that specializes in sport bikes here locally so I think they take a little advantage but it is what it is. Yea I think Im capable of installing it myself.

You should send me a link to the $15 cheapie one you bought jondog9
post #14 of 27 Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM

No link, just walk into a Fry's electronics store. Or Radio Shack, Best Buy, whatever.
Remember to make sure it includes the installation disc.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-20-2015, 1:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Your PowerCommander (PC) requires a serial cable. Hardly any computers these days even have a serial port, that's why I asked if your PC was the USB type.
You can buy a USB to serial cable at any computer store, Get a decent quality, but you don't have to spend $50 just because it has gold plated connectors. Just make sure the cable comes with the installation disc for your computer.
Good info. You will also need the software for the Power Commander to upload the maps. Beyond that, they are pretty easy to use and install.
Something like this should work for you. http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-RS-232-Serial-Converter/dp/B0007T27H8/ref=sr_1_1/175-5367278-8017258?ie=UTF8&qid=1424456792&sr=8-1&keywords=serial+to+usb

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page