How good is the standard shock on an RR-8/9? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2015, 8:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

How good is the standard shock on an RR-8/9?

I'm about 15 stone out of leathers, how good is the rear shock. Bike arrives next Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: How good is the standard shock on an RR-8/9?

rear shock will handle the load better than the forks. honda puts pretty soft stuff in their bikes to accommodate about a 12 stone load. if it were me id first focus on getting the forks where they need to be before i went to the rear. thats just me tho. my suspension guy tells me the rear is designed a bit stiffer for the possibility of riding 2 up so you have a little more wiggle room when trying to set your sag. the front will probably not be in an ideal place unless you get some bigger springs or my guy put some bigger spacers to help as kind of a cheap fix to still get a good set-up without having to buy the springs.

the thing is tho that when you set-up a suspension its main focus is to level the bike out front to back so your rear set-up depends on your front set-up. so the rear can really only be as good as the front. they are linked together in that way. you should still be able to get a decent set-up on the stock suspension it just will be kinda soft compared to if you had the bigger springs. but still very street able. maybe not the best thing for the track cause youll blow thru your suspension in the high speed corners. street riding is really trying to find a balance between performance and comfort anyway so like i said you can achieve something decent for street with the stock suspension. of course it wont be like if it had expensive aftermarket fork internals n bigger springs and a rear to match. honda oem suspension isnt bad compared to other big 4 japanese bike manufacturers. its close to the best if not the best imo. oem suspension is designed to work well at mid lean angles where aftermarket is better at working well in a wider range of lean angle demands.

i guess it really just depends on what you need or want out of your bike depending on what kinda riding youll be doing and where. of course all that also depends on your skill level as well. youve got to have some skill to even worry about using all of your oem suspension's potential on the street if its well set up for your weight.

its not bad. its a hard q to answer without really knowing what your going to be doing with it. is it good? its pretty good right out of the box for even fast street riding as long as its set-up well. emphasis on set-up well. would you be faster if your a fairly skilled rider on the track with an upgrade? definitely.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2015, 1:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Re: How good is the standard shock on an RR-8/9?

Cheers for that. Nice in depth answer. I like that.

I've just sold my K5 Gixer 1000 and I had a local suspension guy put in fresh seals and an extra 10mm of oil as a cheap fix. Made a big difference too. I suppose any 10 year old fork with fresh oil is going to work better eh.

I've just laid down a deposit on a 10k mile bike and it should be delivered next week then I can have a play.

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page