Fireblade RRW advice welcome - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fireblade RRW advice welcome

I have just joined the site and am looking for advice on a bike I recently purchased. (picture below)

As per title its an RRW blade, its seems to be in great condition with just 16K on the clock.

Work from standard when I bought it
Art can
Stage 2 dyno carb set
Goodridge hoses on the front

Work done so far.
New rear piston and seals
Goodridge hose on back
Oil & Filter
New lower right panel
New sump as lug was broken
New exhaust gaskets as had to remove to get to sump
New studs as 2 snapped getting them out while doing the above
New tyres as I don't trust old tyres
New rear mounting rubbers for bracket for the big fairing stay, as the whole front fairing seems to wobble a bit, and still does

Problems
1) Has a really loud and annoying plastic rattle from the front when going over bumps, can not find it when stationary. I first thought it was the front mudguard, but that's solid. Maybe related to the above front fairing moving, but no idea what else could be loose or worn. I have also replaced all fairing bolts as the originals were looking tired but all seem a good tight fit. I have given everything a good shake and can not recreate the noise until I move, even slowly and then its a definite plastic knock??
2) has a flat spot at around 3.8k, can be quite clearly seen on a dyno chart that was done years ago and its still there, is this normal, can I get rid of it? (Picture added)
3) Is there a direct fit 17" front wheel or does it mean getting a VVRF800 wheel and getting a machine shop to take 3.5mm off each side and then its a direct fit?

Other than the above the bike has no engine rattles, knocks, rides sweet and is a pleasure on the road.

Last edited by sstrickson; 03-02-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Reputation Power: 6

Re: Fireblade RRW advice welcome

Hi, I've got the RRX. Long shot but i wonder if the plastic noise is coming from the cover behind the airbox. When i was 'in there' doing some work i noticed that the garage where i had it serviced last time hadn't replaced it properly. Might be worth getting the tank off and having a look. As for the flat spot, mine suffered for a while with something similar, feels a bit like turbo lag but since riding the bike more over the last few years it's almost completely disappeared so i don't know what caused it. Maybe it's a design fault as I've read other peoples feedback about the same issue. My only engine mods are a K&N filter and a Beowulf end can. For the front wheel i know you can fit a VFR wheel but i don't think it goes straight in without some extra work/ mods. If you search the forum there are guys who have done it. I've had my bike for 5 years and in my opinion the only thing you will gain is more tyre choices. I'm running Bridgestone S20's and i'm more than happy with them.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconuT View Post
Hi, I've got the RRX. Long shot but i wonder if the plastic noise is coming from the cover behind the airbox. When i was 'in there' doing some work i noticed that the garage where i had it serviced last time hadn't replaced it properly. Might be worth getting the tank off and having a look. As for the flat spot, mine suffered for a while with something similar, feels a bit like turbo lag but since riding the bike more over the last few years it's almost completely disappeared so i don't know what caused it. Maybe it's a design fault as I've read other peoples feedback about the same issue. My only engine mods are a K&N filter and a Beowulf end can. For the front wheel i know you can fit a VFR wheel but i don't think it goes straight in without some extra work/ mods. If you search the forum there are guys who have done it. I've had my bike for 5 years and in my opinion the only thing you will gain is more tyre choices. I'm running Bridgestone S20's and i'm more than happy with them.
I will have a look under the tank at the weekend, but it seems to be in front of that, hard to tell with a lid on.
I dare say the more I ride the bike the less I will notice the flat spot, but its annoying at the moment that's for sure.
I am also running a new set of Bridgestone S20's and despite only a few miles on them as yet, they do seem to suit me / the bike quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 5:08 PM

It's really easy to take off the front fairing and check everything. I had a similar noise and it ended up being one of the bolts holding the front light was loose. I have 2 RRWs and was also inclined to do the 17" conversion to one of them. I did a lot of track days last year and would like to be able to ride on track tires. I'm using Conti Attacks at the moment and they are superb for a street tire. They hold so well that I've been scraping my D&D end can when knee down on the track.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 5:22 PM

Reputation Power: 5

My bike has the 16" wheel and apart from squirming under heavy braking because of the 70 profile tyre I can say that it doesn't bother me at all. Tyre choice is bad but Bridgstones do them and I 'm ok with that.

I bought the bike with new Maxis supermax tyres on and thought that they would be bad but TBH they are good. They get really soft and sticky when warm. I'm still getting used to the bike but my chicken strips are less than a centimetre and I don't put myself into danger.

Pete
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 6:02 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

There is no 17" direct bolt on replacement. Also, a hiccup at under 4k rpms isn't really anything to write home about. The general consensus is to keep the Revs above 4 grand. But, in the interest of getting to know your bike, pull the carbs off and see what clip position your needle is in and write down the main and pilot jets sizes. Curious, at what throttle opening is it stumbling?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2015, 2:32 AM Thread Starter

Just as I had thought about the 17" wheel, no direct replacement, though a company in Ely (quite close by) I know have done conversions on 17" VFR wheels to fit blades. The only reason I would change it is for more rubber choice as I truly don't believe that I will be out handling the 16" tyre especially with a decent set of S20's on it. Just have to wait and see how long they keep producing that tyre for

I had no idea it was best to keep this bike above 4k, again, you learn something new everyday That will resolve the 3.8k blip that I was hitting in some bends, you may think this is very low, but remember, its my first bike over 600cc and its still wet and horrible round here and I have put less than 100 miles on it since I have owned it, I prefer to take it steady that push it and lose it.

Not sure I will be stripping down the bike again just yet to look at the carbs as I only got it back last weekend as its been in a mates garage since I got it in bits doing all the work listed above, it took ages as the parts were only bought as they were needed / seen they needed replacing and I would only get to it one day a week, lol As for the front rattle, I guess that will mean a front end strip down, never down it on this bike yet, so more to learn, lol.

It stumbles at any throttle opening at that rpm, so even if you rip it open or take it steady you feel it, but you do feel it more the more you open it up but I guess that because you feel the lag it causes.

Seems like there are a good bunch of helpful people on here, thank you
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2015, 3:42 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Oh the pleasure is ours. And for the front rattle, check the headlight nipples, for lack of a better term, the two that go into the rubber grommets. If they are broken then the headlight assembly could be the noise. Also make sure the steering head bearings are properly adjusted and not worn. That gives you more of a metallic clunk though if bad over bumps and during braking. Stand along side th bike and grab the front brake. Push\pull up and down forward and back and see if there is any movement/clunk in he steering stem. If so it could be the bearings.

And the 4k rpm thing is what Bladeracer (our advice/experience guru here) has said multiple times. No reason to be "lugging" the bike around at 4k lol. The graph looks really good, but 100% drive ability once modified is hard to come by. I change my jetting settings at least twice a year, always chasing the elusive top set up

Oh, great looking blade BTW. Enjoy!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2015, 3:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Oh the pleasure is ours. And for the front rattle, check the headlight nipples, for lack of a better term, the two that go into the rubber grommets. If they are broken then the headlight assembly could be the noise. Also make sure the steering head bearings are properly adjusted and not worn. That gives you more of a metallic clunk though if bad over bumps and during braking. Stand along side th bike and grab the front brake. Push\pull up and down forward and back and see if there is any movement/clunk in he steering stem. If so it could be the bearings.

And the 4k rpm thing is what Bladeracer (our advice/experience guru here) has said multiple times. No reason to be "lugging" the bike around at 4k lol. The graph looks really good, but 100% drive ability once modified is hard to come by. I change my jetting settings at least twice a year, always chasing the elusive top set up

Oh, great looking blade BTW. Enjoy!
I think the rattle is something to do with the lights / front fairing. It definitely moves about quite a bit when stationary and I did replace the 2 rubbers which can be easily accessed near the stem. Looks like I need to pull it all apart and find out where the others are. The mounting for the mirrors etc does seem to move around a bit My old CBR600 had a steering head rattle, which was metallic and very noticeable, I thought the wheel was about to fall out, lol, but its nothing like that, this is very plasticy and annoying

As for power, for its year, its feels good to me, but I don't confess to know much about anything, lol. Between 6k and 11k its not what I would call slow.

Thanks Ian
post #10 of 12 Old 03-09-2015, 7:35 AM Thread Starter

Cool, rattle now fixed. The plastics around the front single bolt were rounded and the bolt did not press the plastic back to bolt this in place properly. Simple fix of a small rubber O ring to take up the slack around the bolt to allow for the wearing away of the plastic where it has oval'ed out, and a larger O ring to take up the slack between the plastic and its rear mount so the bolt actually presses down on it now.

Now has a remaining problem of its unreliable pick up, sometimes it does and sometimes it don't, and I don't like those sort of games, so into the Dyno tuning shop its going to go, if they cant get a reliable constant power delivery out of it, then she is outta hear
post #11 of 12 Old 03-09-2015, 8:59 AM

Reputation Power: 5

Got a similar problem on my GSXR. Stumbles some times at 4.5k but not jn any consistent way. Done the carbs twice.

The bike had been standing for 8 years and I think a cylinder standing open had caused the problem - badly seated valve maybe. Anyway, wanted to take it to Cornwall with me for last summer. Did 2,500 miles and the problem virtually disappeared.

Tend to keep it spinning over 5k anyway because it likes to rev and the noise it makes is the singing of angels!

Pete
post #12 of 12 Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeBikes View Post

Tend to keep it spinning over 5k anyway because it likes to rev and the noise it makes is the singing of angels!

Pete
Couldn't agree more, there is a definite tone which sounds awesome with the right pipe on, but it don't need to be ear splitting loud to sound nice, no, really, it don't have to be

Trying to get mine booked in with a company in Bury St Edmunds which has come recommended to me from a friend, no idea what they are like. They do sonic carb cleaning and have a Dyno to tune it up on, so it looks like they might get the job, but as they are closed on Mondays I cant book it in just yet, lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page