Fork seal and dust seal question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2015, 7:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fork seal and dust seal question

In own a 2010 cbr 1000 with aprox 12k in it.
I am the original owner. I noticed hair line splits all the way around each dust cap/seal. There are no leaks or anything. Is this normal or is it time for me to get it serviced. Is the weather/ seasons for it to blame? Tiny little splits all the way around but no visible dry rot just splits. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2015, 8:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: Fork seal and dust seal question

Just my theory, but...
I think maybe it's a sign of the times. Even Jap bikes get some stuff from China, and Chinese rubber parts and O-rings are absolute shite. It's really pissing me off just how saturated the cheap Chinese stuff is becoming in everything we buy these days.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2015, 9:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

if you mean the bike has 12,000 miles then i would suggest changing it and the fork seals as well. imo its good to change the oil every 8-10,000 miles or every 2 years, which ever comes first.

i like maxima fork oil and look for NOK fork seals. bikemaster has the NOK seals. bikemaster sells the seals and the dust wipers separately. the NOK are a little more money but have significantly less stiction. you can pick up both at motorcycle super store. they ship fast and have awesome customer service.

youll need to get the suspension reset once youve got fresh oil in there. new oil is a nice upgrade that brings back the suspensions full potential. well worth the effort.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2015, 5:35 PM

Reputation Power: 23

It is amazing the actual difference in suspension oil viscosity from brand to brand considering the same labeled viscosity. For example, 10 wt Maxima may actually be closer to 5 wt from another manufacturer such as Belray. Google it. Its a trip.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2015, 5:39 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Nothing better than fresh suspension fluid. Can't tell if you changed your engine oil except in terms of shifting ease. With suspension fluid, you know it right from the start. It just feels better with more dampening. More control over the boingers. It's a good thing.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2015, 7:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Just my theory, but...
I think maybe it's a sign of the times. Even Jap bikes get some stuff from China, and Chinese rubber parts and O-rings are absolute shite. It's really pissing me off just how saturated the cheap Chinese stuff is becoming in everything we buy these days.
It's getting really bad especially the counterfeit items which are far worse than the cheap sht. I heard something on the radio about counterfeit tires making their way into the US.

2001 929RR
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #7 of 7 Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

you said with the counterfeit stuff.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page