another regulator/rectifier thread - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 1:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

another regulator/rectifier thread

I've been expecting this for a while, since i've burned up two stators and two batteries in the last 2 seasons, but it is now finally time to do some work.

I went to take the bike out yesterday to enjoy the nice weather and noticed a leak. turns out it was gas pouring out of the right two carbs. i'm guessing the floats stuck, and since the bike has never been winterized and I was planning to rebuild/clean the carbs anyway (gasket/needle kits are sitting on the kitchen table, i just wanted one ride before I ripped it apart ), i just pulled back into the garage and got to work. well i pulled the seat off and noticed the reg/rec wiring is toast. luckily the gas and roasted electronics didn't meet, that coulda been BAD.

So, to the point, I am planning to swap in a MOSFET reg/rec and replace the wiring to prevent this from ever happening again, but I just want to be sure before I order parts that I know what I need. From my searching i have read that i would be better off replacing everything; wires, connectors, reg/rec, all of it. Looks like EasternBeaver has the parts (R/R Connectors), I'm just not sure which ones i need. I am guessing both part A and part B, plus a reg/rec part #FH012, can anyone confirm? With part A I think i cut the wires from the stator and solder the new harness/connector to those. Then I remove all the wiring coming from the reg/rec to both the stator harness and the battery and install part B, along with a MOSFET reg/rec FH012 then connect it all up.

Does that sound right? How much of the OEM harness do I need to remove? Do i need any other parts? Any other caveats?

i could still need a new battery or stator but both are pretty new, just a couple months on them at the end of last season, so I am hoping not. fingers crossed, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
20150307_112916[1].jpg‎   20150307_123215[1].jpg‎   20150307_123301[1].jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 1:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: another regulator/rectifier thread

man i would call ricks motorsport n talk to them. they are pretty helpful n if you tell them your doing the mosfet conversion they can help you out with everything you need. this is a nice write up on the conversion.

https://tinyurl.com/n3k3gzy

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

I had this issue. a 30$ used r/r off a gsxr worked for me. like a 15 minute install. also check all connections and replaced any crusty ones..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

i've got a rick's stator in there now, i am familiar with them. thanks for the how-to link, that was helpful

what year GSXR did your r/r come from? the yellow wires from that burned up harness are very brittle so I'm def going to replace at least some if not all of them to the r/r.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Same happened to me this year, I have put one from CB500 and no problems now
post #6 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

my rr is from a 06 gsxr 750. my 99 600 had bad connections in all the usual places. some new plug ends fixed most of my woes..
post #7 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 8:00 PM Thread Starter

i decided to get a new R/R instead of used, hopefully that means i can do this once and be done. also got a wiring kit in the mail so i can replace all the connectors with weather proof versions. last, i got an ultrasonic parts cleaner for the carb jets so i don't have to buy new ones. hopefully everything comes in before the weekend so i can get it done ASAP, this nice weather is driving me nuts! I want to ride so bad, it's killing me seeing all the bikes come out after the long winter and not be able to join them!

thanks for the replies, hopefully i get a long summer of riding in and i can finally get rid of that annoying raspy sputter at high RPMs.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 PM

oh boo hoo ...there's still plenty of snow here !!!!

One of my yellow wires from the R/R burnt/meted too...is that automatically a R/R failure and need to replace it ?

GL with the tune ups.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

not necessarily on the burnt wire. there is just enough wire to carry the load when the wire is in good shape. if the connectors get corrosion on them it causes the wire to build resistance n can melt the wire. id do the tests on the r/r before id call it bad

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
not necessarily on the burnt wire. there is just enough wire to carry the load when the wire is in good shape. if the connectors get corrosion on them it causes the wire to build resistance n can melt the wire. id do the tests on the r/r before id call it bad

i didn't have any plastic connectors. all 3 of my wires were wired directly (what looks like heat shrink) to the stator. Noticed it when i took the fairing off this winter.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

looks like someone already did some rewiring on yours to remove the connector. the downside of that is if your stator is burned you'll need to redo those connections to connect the new stator. i can't tell for sure my looking at yours, and when mine burned up i could easily see 1/3 of the windings were dark brown, bubbling, and smelled like burned up epoxy, so mine was obviously done. but given yours has already been rewired it leads me to suspect your R/R might be done. obviously do the tests if you can to confirm and make sure your stator didn't get damaged too.

And good luck with the snow melting up there!
post #12 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
looks like someone already did some rewiring on yours to remove the connector. the downside of that is if your stator is burned you'll need to redo those connections to connect the new stator. i can't tell for sure my looking at yours, and when mine burned up i could easily see 1/3 of the windings were dark brown, bubbling, and smelled like burned up epoxy, so mine was obviously done. but given yours has already been rewired it leads me to suspect your R/R might be done. obviously do the tests if you can to confirm and make sure your stator didn't get damaged too.

And good luck with the snow melting up there!
Thanks. I'd do the test but I'll have to put most of my bike back together to at least get it started. Fingers crossed all will be fine.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post

I did the simple test #4 and got between 548 and and 552 with the red wires but when try the test with the black wire the multimeter stays at 1 on all 3 yellow wires
post #14 of 14 Old 03-20-2015, 7:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKoz View Post
I did the simple test #4 and got between 548 and and 552 with the red wires but when try the test with the black wire the multimeter stays at 1 on all 3 yellow wires
sorry i'm not sure what that means, i never really tested my r/r like that. i just ordered a new one and new wires so i don't have to mess with it anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page