2003 CBR 954rr needs some advice! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 2:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2003 CBR 954rr needs some advice!

so i bought my bike last year and it now has 15,000 miles on it. i want to make it last for as long as possible. what can i do to give it more power and run stronger??

ps.. i already have a power commander and full yoshimura exhaust and k&n air filter.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 2:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: 2003 CBR 954rr needs some advice!

sounds like you about got it wrapped up in terms of power upgrades unless you want to get a big bore kit and/or a turbo. another option is nitrous.

one little thing thats good for a few hp is go back to the oem air filter. its proven to give a few extra ponies over the bmc or k&n air filter.

dont neglect the valve clearance check coming up at 16,000.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

hmmm ive never even heard of the valve clearence check. thank you for that. i mainly want it to have more power for 2nd and 3rd gear. id like to bring it up easier in those gears. i can wheelie all day in first like everyone else, but ive noticed a couple of my buddies with r1s bring their bikes up in wheelie in like 4th gear! and their is absolutely no way that my bike could do that. i even had it dyno tuned for maximum hp and it at 136hp right now. its probably just that fact im not doing it right. but would brining my front sprocket down a tooth help my cause? i dont want to sacrifice speed too much though. only got it up to 160mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 3:33 PM

yes dropping a tooth will give it more low end power. i dropped a tooth in front and its a noticeable difference. it will chop a little off your top end but unless all you do is top speed runs on the freeway it will put more power where you will use it most. its an easy swap and you dont need to change your chain to drop a tooth up front so if you try it out n dont like it its easy to switch it back. but personally i think its a great way to put power where i use it.

get online and google "cbr 954 service manual" there are a lot of them out there to download. its full of info and has a schedule for maintenance like the valve clearance check that needs to be done at 16,000miles. you said you like to take care of it so def get it done. the valves get tighter over time which can cause a lot of problems if they arent adjusted back to spec. some might not need adjusted n some will but thats why you ceck umm. service manual has instructions or its about a 400$ job at a shop. if your decent with a wrench its something you can do yourself. id say its a medium difficulty job.

im not a stunt rider n usually try n keep both wheels on the ground but the 954 is easily one of the best wheelie bikes ever built including thr r1's. it is a lot of technique involved n just takes a lot of practice to get to where you can ride one thru gears. dropping a tooth will def make it easier. pulling up in first is easier but it harder to go from first to second while riding a wheelie apposed to starting in second n rolling into third.

make sure to count the teeth on your current sprocket to be sure someone hasnt already dropped one up front. 16/43 are the oem teeth count on the sprockets. i wouldnt suggest going down any more than 1 tooth up front because itll cause excessive chain guide and chain wear. its not uncommon for people to go -1f and +2r but youll probably hafta get a longer chain to do both. get online n grab a 15t front n swap umm out n see what you think. its an awesome way to feel a difference in the power for 25$ i got my jt brand 15 tooth on ebay but wherever you can get it cheapest. sunsprockets is another trusted name brand.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 3:45 PM

ive got a 55 series rear tire where a 50 is the oem size so that evens it out a little because its a taller tire but dropping a tooth up front will throw your speedometer off a little. ive compared mine n with the tire and the -1 tooth mine is off by between 7-8mph. so when my speedometer says 77 im actually going 70 n it increases a little the faster you go so when mine reads 88 im actually doing 80. but even with the dropped tooth and my 200lb ass my bike will hit indicated 182mph topped out which is actually about 170-174 real world speed.

another suggestion if your not running the 190/55 rear tire get it next time you buy a set cause its much better. when the 954 came out there wasnt a lot of tire companies making the 190/55 rear tires yet but now every major tire company makes them. faster turn in and a bigger contact patch when the bike is leaned over.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2015, 8:24 PM

If you want to bring that front up in more gears do a -1 +3 setup. That's what i run on mine and i can pull up in 4th and 5th no issues and still have enought top end to keep up with everyone. Gives that nice low to mid grunt with that setup.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD954 View Post
If you want to bring that front up in more gears do a -1 +3 setup. That's what i run on mine and i can pull up in 4th and 5th no issues and still have enought top end to keep up with everyone. Gives that nice low to mid grunt with that setup.
damnnn... i've never hear of the -1, 3+.... seems like it would be crazy lol. i watch a documentary on stunters and they go up like 11 teeth in the back lol. talk abou that power lol. ill probably go down one tooth in the front and see where that brings me. i get nervous with trying to find the balancing point lol. practice makes perfect tho.

about a month ago i tried to learn wheeling a little better on my little brothers quad, (blaster 200) putting my left foot on the bar in the back and keeping the right foot on the brakes, and would clutch it up in second, trying to simulate a stand up wheelie on my bike. it was good for a bit until i really tried to ride it out and topped out second gear and over balanced. ened up havin the bar hit the ground and my foot slip off, leading into my left knee and foot draging across the street for a bit. nothing like ruining your brand new timberland boots and levi's. lol pissed but deffinetly gotta work on the rear brake control while up in a wheelie.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koltonkelly View Post
damnnn... i've never hear of the -1, 3+.... seems like it would be crazy lol. i watch a documentary on stunters and they go up like 11 teeth in the back lol. talk abou that power lol. ill probably go down one tooth in the front and see where that brings me. i get nervous with trying to find the balancing point lol. practice makes perfect tho.

about a month ago i tried to learn wheeling a little better on my little brothers quad, (blaster 200) putting my left foot on the bar in the back and keeping the right foot on the brakes, and would clutch it up in second, trying to simulate a stand up wheelie on my bike. it was good for a bit until i really tried to ride it out and topped out second gear and over balanced. ened up havin the bar hit the ground and my foot slip off, leading into my left knee and foot draging across the street for a bit. nothing like ruining your brand new timberland boots and levi's. lol pissed but deffinetly gotta work on the rear brake control while up in a wheelie.

Ya I feel ya man. Its honestly not that crazy. Last year I was up 10 in the rear but it was just too unmanageable. Personally. +3 -1 is perfect for crusing and wheelies. I still don't get out of 2nd when riding around town. And practice makes perfect. I'll see if I can find the wheelie bids I posted a while ago. They helped me learn. Its all about taking it slow. Learn to control the initial lift then learn to brake to bring it back down. Then you can get higher and higher till you get bp. Just takes time
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2015, 1:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD954 View Post
Ya I feel ya man. Its honestly not that crazy. Last year I was up 10 in the rear but it was just too unmanageable. Personally. +3 -1 is perfect for crusing and wheelies. I still don't get out of 2nd when riding around town. And practice makes perfect. I'll see if I can find the wheelie bids I posted a while ago. They helped me learn. Its all about taking it slow. Learn to control the initial lift then learn to brake to bring it back down. Then you can get higher and higher till you get bp. Just takes time
hell yeah. thank you and if you find that wheelie thread that would be great!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page