929 Noise from near stator - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2015, 8:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 Noise from near stator

Hi Everyone,

Like the title says I have an 01 929 that seems to be making a rattling sound. It seems to be more prominent when at idle. I'm confident that it's coming from the stator and I can also feel the vibration/rattle when I place my hand over the stator cover.

A little background info:
-New Piston/rings/bearings/spark plugs/clutch plates about 6k ago
-Had problems starting bike after it sat for about 5 months after rebuild but resolved issue by pouring oil in cylinder head to restore compression
-Bike runs strong and shifts well but has some throttle response issues (I think I might have a vacuum leak or pinched line)

I pulled the stator cover and inspected area. No loose bolts or debris seen or heavy wear on flywheel. No visible play in flywheel or crankshaft. The only thing that I noticed was some in and out play from the starter shaft but not sure if this is normal. If it's not normal it my be causing the starter sprocket to play and vibrate in that area but I'd be only guessing.

I pulled the clutch cover and inspected area. No loose parts or debris seen. I don't think there s any bearing issues as I was meticulous while cross reference but maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-13-2015, 8:26 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Re: 929 Noise from near stator

Did you check the actual 4 bolts that hold the stator to the cover? Or the 10mm bolt that holds the small bracket in place which fixes the stator wiring in place? I had a bad ticking/grinding noise in mine and took the whole engine apart trying to chase it. Ended up being one of those four bolts worked loose and was grinding against the end of the crank. I know you said you took off the cover and inspected but didn't know if you checked the "cover side" .....hope you can find it!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2015, 8:56 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Thanks for the fast response. I just checked those 4 bolts plus the 10mm bolt. The 4 were a little loose (hand tight) so I torqued them all to spec with the addition of some Loctite. I don't think that was it because I didn't see any burs or marks. I'm really trying to avoid taking the motor apart again. :/

Just dropped the pan and I didn't see any metal shavings.

Last edited by aray; 03-13-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Sounds to me like a loose timing chain but that would be on the right side, not the left.

-Sly-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page