929 mirrors and frame sliders - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 9:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 mirrors and frame sliders

Some of you may have seen I just bought a 2001 929. Unfortunately in place of mirrors it has cover plates. I've looked on ebay but most of the mirrors listed for a 929 have scratches or damage. Do CBR600rr mirrors fit and function on a 929?

I'm also wondering about frame sliders. It looks like they can be installed without cutting up the fairings. What length do you recommended?

Any other accessories I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 9:21 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Re: 929 mirrors and frame sliders

yeah you do not need to cut the fairings as there is already a space in the fairings to have the sliders mount right in directly to the frame. However I do not know about the mirrors. New oem mirrors are $40 a pair new so not too bad

Kevin
2001 Honda CBR 929rr Repsol Edition (Arielle)
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...back-life.html
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 9:24 PM Thread Starter

New from Honda? Or new "OEM" on ebay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 1:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

true oem honda mirrors are about 80$ each. if you dont want to gamble on a china made set off ebay hit up a site like partzilla n get the bike master or emgo oem replacement mirrors. they are as good as the honda oem but a lit cheaper.

for your bike....

Cbr 929 Mirrors Partzilla Search

if you look at the pic of my 954 you can see where the frame sliders mount. same place they mount on the 929. its the forward engine mounting bolt. you just unbolt that and bolt in the supplied bolt that comes with your frame sliders n torque it to the specified ftlb.

those are lockhart phillips. they worked great in my last get off. barely a scratch on the side fairing n my bike slid 25ft down the road on its side. i got them off ebay. really and decent brand will work. vortex or woodcraft etc etc. id stay away from the super cheap ebay china deals tho. a frame slider isnt going to keep your bike from catching some damage but it give it something to slide on and keeps it from catching as it slides and doing flips. you just never know about the china knock offs until you test them n cheap ones will just snap right off.

you can see this one did its job well. : )

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Good info Kevin, thank you. What length did you buy? I've seen some that are 6" long but that seems a little excessive and kind of tacky to me.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 2:00 PM

yeah they do make the longer ones but i agree they look pretty awful hanging off the side of the bike. i just bought the standard length. they are the most common n probably vary slightly depending on which manufacturer you get them from. unless it specifies they are extra long they will be the standard length. just wouldnt buy the really short ones. the ones that look about like a hockey puck. a good name brand derlin slider would be fine as well. i just bought the cf inlay because they match my spool sliders and my bar ends.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

They don't need to be a name-brand, do they? I mean, delrin is delrin -> link
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 2:17 PM

Reputation Power: 6

I purchased a cheap $20 pair of "shrek ears" off ebay, oem style they came with one noticeable scratch on the mirror but with how much the bike vibrates at speed and with the high seating angle on the bike, you won't notice any scratches on the reflective mirror. The rest of the plastics were fine, no dings or scuffs, quality is pretty typical for the price point, but they do the job just fine!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 6:15 PM

derlin probably is derlin but there are metal collars that go thru and the quality of the bolts to consider as well. i dont think you hafta drop 60-70 on a set of vortex but i wouldnt go for some no name china made ones either. china made stuff is hit or miss on quality control n fitment imo. some stuff is great but youve gotta think about this parts job is a high stress one. it not only replaces the forward engine mounting bolts but needs to support the weight of the bike in the event of a crash and not snap.

i would at least consider some thing like these...

pro tek is at least a name brand item. they make lots of parts trusted by motorcyclist like rear sets so i think they would be a good choice and less than the vortex brand.

Pro Tek Frame Protector Slider Honda 2000 2001 2002 2003 CBR929RR CBR954RR Black | eBay

or these shogun brand which are trusted brand and made in the usa=better materials and quality control during manufacturing.

Shogun PR Frame Slider Blk CBR929 954 All 750 3509 711208 | eBay

either are only a little more than the ones you listed in the link but like i said ae both trusted brands. the ones you linked are a us seller but that doesnt mean they arent sub par china junk. : )

far as the mirrors go. i actually have a set of the cheap ebay china mirrors on my 954 right now. they get the job done but the mirror is crap compared to the oem. im sure the bikemaster ones are much better quality in that department for a little more money. i cant justify dropping 160$ for oem personally. even tho bikemaster is kind of a budget supplier i can tell you they would be better than the cheap ebay ones.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 6:51 PM Thread Starter

I bought the Bikemaster mirrors and Pro Tek sliders. Thanks guys.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 7:47 PM

good deal. youll just need to take out the forward engine mounting bolts n put those in n torque them to the specified torque in the service manual just like you were putting the bolts back in.

come back n let us know about the mirrors. im interested in how the quality is. like i said i already know they will be better than those china ebay mirrors like i got. i just kinda bought them as a quick fix after i highsided my 954. they do the job n look as good as the oem but the mirror its self is pretty crappy.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 9:44 PM Thread Starter

Sure thing. They're arriving Monday so I should be able to give you a report by end of next week. I'll reply here.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Here we are 15 months later and I'm finally getting back to you guys. I didn't ride a lot last season but I'm making up for it this year.

The mirrors are excellent. Very little to no vibration at idle or speed and they keep their position. If I had to guess I would say Bikemaster is probably an OEM supplier for Honda motorcycle mirrors. They seem to be of similar quality.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page