Need mechanical advice. Bike won't start all the time. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 9:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need mechanical advice. Bike won't start all the time.

My 2008 cbr1000rr is having trouble starting...sometimes. Often times, when I crank the bike over, it will just keep cranking and cranking. As it's doing this, the tach will sweep every few seconds as if it's resetting or something. Once it fires up, it runs perfectly fine. Sometimes it fires right up with no problems, but 75% it needs some time. It may take 5 seconds or 5 minutes. I figure if it was something mechanical or the likes, it would act up even while running, but this is only while trying to start. Any input or expert advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 9:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: Need mechanical advice. Bike won't start all the time.

Taking a wild guess that your ECU isn't getting adequate voltage. Is your battery good and healthy? If not, the starter will rob most of the voltage not leaving enough for the ECU. All ground points are clean and tight?
If your battery is less than 12.0V at rest, it's questionable if the bike will start.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Battery is old, but if it was that, wouldn't it turn over hard or slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 5:19 PM

You would think so. Like I said, just a wild guess.
Try hooking your multimeter up to your battery, then try to start the bike.
How many volts showing while your thumbing the starter?
I think the ECU needs at least 11V. Less than that isn't enough power for it.

The last time my bike did what yours is doing, and I suspected the battery, I could get the starter to crank it over ok, but only had 8V showing.
I didn't repeat the test for the new battery I installed, but that fixed the issue. I've had that battery for about 2 years now, never missed a start since.

You could also have a problem with the kill button. Several threads in this forum led to that. It seems they aren't designed for everyday use, just that once in a while emergency. People replace the switch or clean the contacts and are sorted out.

Have you pulled your spark plugs lately and examined them?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-20-2015, 2:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to give that multimeter a whirl and see what it says. I'm hoping its something along the lines of a simple battery change or cleaning the connectors of the kill switch. I'm hoping it's not something like a bad ECU or some sort of water damage or something. The bike remains covered when I'm not riding it, but it's only stored in a garage over winter. Also, I almost never use my kill switch. Could that be something too? Possibly it malfunctioning from never being worked?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2015, 7:02 PM

I like to start with the simple stuff and work my way on up the chain of possibilities.
The clue about the instrument panel resetting while cranking is what led me to guess an inadequate battery not giving enough volts to the ECU.
Inspect all your ground points and look for any bare wires that may be shorting out.
I'd also try unplugging the ecu connectors, clean them with electrical cleaner and treat them to a dab of dielectric grease before plugging them back in.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-23-2015, 2:46 PM Thread Starter

Hooked the bike up to the multimeter and it was reading around 13v, which I know is where it should be, right? Well, actually the guy who's garage it's currently in did it. Then he hooked it up to a jumper box, and it fired right up without any problems. When he would take it off the box, it acted up again upon starting. The guy works at AutoZone, and said he gets batteries in frequently that read a good reading on the meter, but are still bad. I thought it sounded weird, because I've never heard of a battery that is reading a good number and still needs to be changed. I went ahead and ordered a new battery for it that should be in before the end of the week, and hopefully have it installed Saturday. I know the current battery is at least 2 or 3 years old since I've never replaced it during the time I've owned the bike. So, with that in mind, I figured it was about due anyway. I'll be sure to try all of that other stuff you mentioned as well while I'm there and let you know what happens.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-23-2015, 4:42 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo0851 View Post
Hooked the bike up to the multimeter and it was reading around 13v, which I know is where it should be, right? Well, actually the guy who's garage it's currently in did it. Then he hooked it up to a jumper box, and it fired right up without any problems. When he would take it off the box, it acted up again upon starting. The guy works at AutoZone, and said he gets batteries in frequently that read a good reading on the meter, but are still bad. I thought it sounded weird, because I've never heard of a battery that is reading a good number and still needs to be changed. I went ahead and ordered a new battery for it that should be in before the end of the week, and hopefully have it installed Saturday. I know the current battery is at least 2 or 3 years old since I've never replaced it during the time I've owned the bike. So, with that in mind, I figured it was about due anyway. I'll be sure to try all of that other stuff you mentioned as well while I'm there and let you know what happens.
That's a good example on how to get confused if a battery is dead or not. And by dead I mean not salvageable. A static meter test on the battery alone can show a good 12VDC. But keep the probes on it while thumbing the starter will most likely show it goes to 8VDC or below immediately. That is a battery that has Voltage, but no Current. Tell tale sign of a battery that cannot be saved. So put the jumper box on and she fires right up and runs normally. Sounds about right. Pull the battery back out of the mix and it dies and won't start again. New battery is in order.

Now, to save yourself from this happening again and possibly ruining your now brand new battery, run some diagnostic checks on your charging system. What usually toasts batteries like this is that they get over or undercharged by the charging system. Either the reg/rec and or the stator could be failing and that's what ruined you battery. Run through these test before you deem everything is fixed with just the new battery.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 03-25-2015 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Typos
post #9 of 12 Old 03-23-2015, 5:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Now, to save yourself from this happening again and possibly ruining your now brand new battery, run some diagnostic checks on your charging system. What usually toasts batteries like this is that they get over or undercharged by the charging system. Either the reg/rec and or the stator could be failing and that's what ruined you battery. Run through these test before you deem everything fixed with just the new battery.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf
Does there necessarily have to be a "cause" to the battery failing? Couldn't it just be that the battery is old and needs replaced?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2015, 5:07 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo0851 View Post
Does there necessarily have to be a "cause" to the battery failing? Couldn't it just be that the battery is old and needs replaced?
Yes, absolutely. But more often than not, in Honda's batteries fail because of a bad charging system.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2015, 5:11 PM Thread Starter

The advice is appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes. Are there any other issues or possibilities that could be causing my issue aside from the battery having enough juice to turn the bike over, but not enough to power the ECU?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-24-2015, 9:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late results. After putting the new battery in the bike, it fires up on every try. Incredible and mind blowing to me to think that that was my issue that whole time. So thankful it turned out to be a simple fix. Ian, you said that while holding the meter on the terminals while cranking the bike over that the reading should drop down to like 8 or something. Actually, while turning it over on the bad battery, it still read 12-13v. Either way, turned out to be the battery is my point regardless as to why or how. Problem resolved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page