htev valve position help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2015, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

htev valve position help

sorry but yeah its another htev thread. : ) my servo motor crapped out on me n ive been getting the 35 code. i took the motor out and you can tell the gears are stripped because its a very crunchy feel as you turn it.

anyway..... im gonna get a servo buddy to deal with the fi light but my main question is;

which position is what? from the manual it says to start the valve in the center position with the index mark facing the front of the bike. then at 3000 rpm it should move up to the 12 o clock mark then at 8000rpm it should rotate down to the 6 o clock mark.

so im trying to decide which place to pin it at but im not 100% sure so i thought id ask before pinning it and putting the fairing all back on n having to take it off.

id like to know for sure is the 12 the partially open setting and then 6 fully open? i assume that the 9 where it starts is fully closed then it opens partially at 3000rpm in the 12 spot n then opens up all the way in the 6 position at 8000rpm.

would that be right? lol i read every thread i could find n not one specifically says which position is open closed or part open. lots of posts saying leave it open or closed but im not real sure so wanted to ask before i put it one way or the other.

thanks gang.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Re: htev valve position help

Yep you got it right 12 is partially open and 6 is fully open, The notch facing down (6 o'clock) is fully open so the exhaust flows 4-2 into 1. Ive had mine out and its a little difficult for me to explain but it never fully closes it just opens up a little more to reduce back pressure. when partially open it routes the top 2 exhaust pipes' gases downward making it 4 into... one of the 2 that converge into 1. Its weird how its setup, position wise it doesn't operate like a butterfly valve, its a shaft with holes bored into it that redirects the flow of exhaust.

2001 929RR
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks pablo, thats what i thought but i didnt want to hafta take the whole valve out to see. so the confirmation is appreciated.

i put it in the 9 oclock n rode it and i could tell it felt and sounded kinda restricted. came home n took the fairing back off but stopped there until i got the info.

took the servo motor apart n the gears inside were completely toast. the teeth were sheared off laying in the casing. lol ive had the flapper mod done since i got the bike at 9,000 miles so youd think with less work to do the servo motor would have lasted more than 13,000 miles. i love most of the finish n build quality of honda stuff but this unit is a joke.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 6:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

No problem, that is super premature to fail with so few miles.

2001 929RR
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 7:09 PM Thread Starter

yeah. i knew it was a weak point but still.... truck it, pull it out n toss it for the better. the whole thing is useless anyway. i can see the system being somewhat useful on a 600 but on a literbike? just a waste of materials. lots of other things i would have rather spent 55$ on than the servo buddy. it is what it is tho.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 7:42 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Don't buy a servo buddy Kevin, make one for $5-$10. At the top of the main page there is a sticky on the HTEV servo delete. Go to post #12 on that sticky and follow his instructions. I did that for mine and it works like a charm.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 7:54 PM Thread Starter

already on the way. : ) ive read that the results with the homebrew servo buddy were hit n miss. i opted to just get the ready made n be done with it. i went by radio shack n since they went bankrupt my local store was already closed. checked online on the parts n they were closer to 12$ and i dont have a soldering gun n even tho those are cheap as well gas and time invested plus the cost of all the materials for something that most likely would have worked but still had the possibility of not working pushed me to just buy the damn thing. im not upset just think its a shame on honda kinda situation.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 9:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

By the way, I have tested the HTEV valve in all positions. The best that suits my riding style is 12 o'clock partially open. I don't feel any loss os power in high revs, and still have lots of power in midrange (where most of us ride most of the time).
post #9 of 10 Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
already on the way. : ) ive read that the results with the homebrew servo buddy were hit n miss. i opted to just get the ready made n be done with it. i went by radio shack n since they went bankrupt my local store was already closed. checked online on the parts n they were closer to 12$ and i dont have a soldering gun n even tho those are cheap as well gas and time invested plus the cost of all the materials for something that most likely would have worked but still had the possibility of not working pushed me to just buy the damn thing. im not upset just think its a shame on honda kinda situation.
I would have made you one for the price of shipping and you supplying the harness since you have helped me out. I still have enough parts to make 4 servo buddy's.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-25-2015, 1:40 AM Thread Starter

well thanks man! i really appreciate that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page