CBR900RRV Speedo Under-reading, sender, sensor, pulses, photos - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-26-2015, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR900RRV Speedo Under-reading, sender, sensor, pulses, photos

Hi, my first ever post - thought I'd share my recent experience with converting a kph speedo to mph.

The bike ('97 RRV) came from Europe, the previous owner changed the speedo dial backplate from a kph one to a mph one - all fine, except the odo still read in kilometres.

So I bought an mph speedo off ebay, polished it up, replaced backlight bulbs, fitted it, set off down the road - slowly (said the speedo). The 33.7 mile round trip came up as 24.7 miles...

...Figured that the speedo was seeing 3/4 of what it should be seeing, and it's electronic, so either the speedo or the pickup/sender/sensor was misreading. I started with the pickup - unbelievably easy to access - two screws on the drive sprocket cover, and the connector visible under the RH side of the tank. Could get multimeter probes on it without any further dismantling. The pickup is a hex socket which engages on the sprocket screw. The connector wiring is black = constant 12v (ignition on!), green = 0v (ground, middle wire), pink = pulsed output, 4.5-5v.

...put a multimeter on the pink, found 1 revolution of the sprocket generated 3 pulses. So if I could get a pickup that did 4 pulses per revolution I'd be fine...on a whim, went on ebay again and got a pickup off a '96 blade (which also had a UK mph speedo).

...two days later, tried the new pickup - 4 pulses per rev! Sorted! Turns out the pickups have a serial number and the number of pulses marked on them - so anyone buying can check or ask. The 3-pulse/rev is 97164, the 4-pulse/rev is 95323.

Hope this helps someone, for me it was a lucky gamble! Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06414.JPG‎   DSC06422.JPG‎   DSC06423.JPG‎   DSC06424.JPG‎  

DSC06425.JPG‎   DSC06411.JPG‎   DSC06418.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page