96' 900rr stopped, then battery flat. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
hmk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

96' 900rr stopped, then battery flat.

Well, title says pretty much everything..

Couple of weeks ago I installed a new battery because the old one had been sitting flat over the winter.
I had a short spin, then sat the bike back in the garage.

Today the battery was flat again, so i charged it up. Took the bike out and had a spin around the neighborhood, when the bike suddenly stopped while i was riding and then had a flat battery.

What's up with this? anyone had similar problems?
The battery itself cant be the problem, the bike should've kept itself running anyway since it was aldready going, right?

Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: 96' 900rr stopped, then battery flat.

sounds like the good o honda charging system shows its teeth again. this is a fairly common problem. you will need to charge your battery to full then perform these test on this chart to find the problem. you will need a multimeter but the tests are easy to do. inspect all the wiring for burnt connectors or just dirty ones. if you ve got burnt or melted connectors going to the r/r or starter solenoid thats a good indication of faulty components. the tests will identify which. the tests start at the top n with the easiest stuff first. just follow the chart until you find your problem.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

after you do these tests report back n we can take it from there.

to answer your question tho. the battery is most likely not your problem. the first test will determine if your system is charging the battery which obviously it isnt but do it anyway to be sure. the chart is spot on for testing these problems but if you think a video might help check out rick's motorsport web how to videos. they are posted on youtube so ill post a link to those if it helps you to see the tests in action. just scroll down and look at the tests for r/r and stators and even a video on how to use the multimeter if your not sure.

you can get a multimeter at home depot of harbor freight for about 10$ they make more expensive ones but for these tests a cheap one will do.

good luck n report back n we can help you from there. electrical issues can be intimidating but this system honestly isnt real hard to wrap your head around n even someone with no experience can fix it with a little guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RicksElectrics

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 04-05-2015 at 11:39 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
hmk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Nice chart there! Muuuch better than in the pdf manual i got (witch is why I asked here). Will get to it tomorrow morning

Thanks Kevin!

Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

no problem. that chart has helped many a charging system problems around here. its really the same tests outlined in the service manual but put together in a nice flow chart.

if something ends up having given up the ghost on you id suggest you buy parts from ricks web page. they are more expensive than the china ebay parts but you really get what you pay for and this is already a honda weak point so i say get the best stuff and you can help to avoid future problems.

i only just realized you're in norway so itd be my suggestion to get parts from electrex world in the uk. a bit closer to home. : ) also a very trusted name in charging system components.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Kevin, I had posted exactly what you said here. And I look and it's not there

Then I go and realize my phone has like 20 different pages open and I find I never hit Submit. Getting old sucks!

Anyway, you nailed it as always.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page