Replacing petcock on 99 Blade? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2015, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Replacing petcock on 99 Blade?

So I got my bike back from the shop about a week ago to fix an electrical issue, and I've noticed that the bike seems to have developed a fairly severe gas leak. Losing about a drop of gas every 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It appears to be coming from either above the petcock or from the knob itself.

I found and ordered a new petcock for the bike and it should be here either this weekend of early next week. What considerations are important when I'm putting in the new part? Are there any little kinks that I may find myself in?

What are the steps to follow when removing the petcock? Do I need to remove the entire tank to get to it, or should it be easy enough to work around the engine and such? Do I need anything other than the petcock? Do I simply remove the old petcock and screw this one into place?

This is the part I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QN914OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1999 CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2015, 2:24 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Replacing petcock on 99 Blade?

It will be just as easy to remove the tank, as it's only 3 bolts and the fuel line will need to be disconnected anyway. Once the fuel line, 2 breather tubes, and 3 bolts are out the tank will lift straight off. Try and have it empty of fuel before hand, but if there is still some in there be careful for it not dumping out when you take the old petcock out. Put the tank upside down to work on it, it will be way easier. You should definitely have it emptied befor you turn it upside down.

You will need a fairly large wrench (30mm I think) or an adjustable wrench to loosen/tighten the nut on the valve. Once it's off, there is a plastic filter screen that usually gets stuck inside the tank. It usually gets ruined when you try to remove it. Your new valve "should" come with a new one and a new o-ring as well.

Stuff the new assembly in there, orientate it properly to access the valve knob, tighten the nut and check for leaks. Then away you go. Should be pretty simple.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 04-09-2015, 8:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsfighter View Post
about a week ago

But anyways... back on topic.
Glad you posted this since ill be doing the same with my 99 blade. But before just out right go buying a petcock I'm going to take mine off and apart and determine what may need to be done or replaced. Hopefully ill be able to source it locally if needed.

Also, heres a video i watched to kinda prep myself. What youre doing should be easier and less than what this guy did.

@IanDoohan

My tank isn't full but it does have some gas on it. Will it really be an issue if it's just flipped? What are the chances it will leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2015, 1:51 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

The fuel cap isn't completely water/fuel tight once upside down. I would imagine fuel can leak through the internals and out the keyhole. It may also leak out the outer portion of the cap too. Just drain it into a clean container/bucket and reuse it afterwards.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page