95 CBR 900, basic maintenance and cosmetic attention needed, advice appreciated - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 04-10-2015, 1:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

95 CBR 900, basic maintenance and cosmetic attention needed, advice appreciated

Hey guys, new on here, picked this bike about a little under a week ago. Needs a few things cosmetically and mechanically, and I'll be working to take care of that. The bike runs great and I'm going to do as much of what's needed as fast as I can. Delays for parts accepted, but nothing other than that. It's easy to do since it runs and rides so well now though.

I love the purple. I still want a Honda red and black scheme, big time. But that purple is awesome in my book, even though the camera is trying desperately to turn it blue. The wheels are…interesting. Going to be a pain to keep clean (filthy in pics). But they provide a nice contrast. Dad’s sold on them because they’re a smart safety feature… even though the seller basically said that’s not why it was done...

It has low miles, which is what attracted me to it, along with the price and proximity (only an hour away, almost too easy. I'd looked into shipping them).

Was after a 954 originally, but since I wasn’t ready to pull the plug in the winter, summer prices made me balk big time. The mileage can go up 50% from winter prices and the price goes up 30% too. Didn't want that.

A test ride of a local 954 showed me that the response of an f.i. bike is not something to be taken for granted, when coupled with lots of power, in the rain (and coming out of a corner). This is still pretty snappy, with carbs. Just mitigating risks a little...

Recent maintenance/mods before I got it:
-Oil Change

-Chain conversion to 525 (from 530) with an aggressive change in sprockets, imo- 16/43 stock, now 15/47. Speedo is about 20% off in total. Strange to be doing an indicated 95 on the freeway and be getting passed…

-Wheel bearings, front and rear (red flag with the miles it has, wondering if the wheels were from a j/y. Going to pull them and see how it looks.

-Tires supposedly new as of last year. Date code is end of 2011. Enough tread left for this season for sure, and no cracks or anything showing.

-Two brothers “custom” shorty exhaust- they cut the muffler in ½, and removed ½ the packing. I was under the impression initially that it was a full aftermarket exhaust, but I’ll have to check to be sure. Don't want the sound to be obnoxious at high speeds, so I may need to mod that or get something different.

Things it needs/I don’t like:
-The rear cowl/tail fairing on it is…uhh… ugly and doesn’t match? He didn’t like the stock one, so he put that on for the heck of it, supposedly? He gave me the rear pieces though, except I think I’m missing something.
Feels a little fishy to me, wondering if there’s some accident history I don’t know about/ couldn't see there. But the stock piece is in better shape than what’s on it, and matches nicely too. Will add pics of that soon.

-The seats. Both need to be recovered. Like many stock seats, it is joked about as a piece of wooden nylon. But I’m not going to spend good money to recover it and leave the factory foam in.
For anyone considering redoing their seat- Call Sargent. Not listed on their site, but available, is the actual foam they use in their seats (Super Atomic Cell Foam). They sell it in rolls, as opposed to it being injection molded on their products. $20/sq ft for the thicker stuff (1.5”), $10 for the thinner stuff. (1.2", iirc).
Thought it was cool that I can buy their materials; they don’t tell you that on their site though and Corbin doesn’t offer that at all). Their turnaround time is pretty slow in the summer. When I'm ready, I don't want to miss a month waiting for it. Also, if you have a good local upholstery shop, you'll likely end up saving money overall too.

-The gearing- It’s got sufficient power for me on the low end stock, I think. A smaller front tooth is harder on the chain, harder on my brain to figure out how far I’ve really gone since my last gas stop, and I wouldn’t mind lowering my freeway rpms a tad (around 6k at ~75mph).

-Fuel petcock- The tab or something is broken off, Can't actually turn it from ON to anything else. Will post a pic tomorrow. I especially dislike a lack of reserve at the moment since I'm still figuring out how many miles I've actually gone.

-Fuel pump (these early models actually have one, albeit simple) is secured to the frame with what my southern friends tell me is an “engineering strap,” known elsewhere as a zip tie. It’s a solid one, and I have no fears of it letting go, but I really don’t like the implication that its original mount broke or…?
Didn’t notice that before the purchase, fairings hid it from me a bit, definitely my fault though. Forgot this model had a fuel pump and wasn't looking for that at all.

That gave me my first serious bit of buyer's remorse, as that, coupled with whatever happened to the tail fairing made me wonder if the miles were wound back. But it seems to be in good shape overall and pegs don't seem worn. Engine doesn't seem tired/leaky either.

-Scrapes on the right side fairing. Not sure if I’ll repaint it to match and order a decal kit or go through a source to get an oem fairing cheaper and go from there.

-Taillight- is a poor excuse for something aftermarket. Clear lens with red led's instead of white led's with red lens. Not very visible in direct sunlight. Going to change that.

Going to be flushing the brake fluid, coolant, lubing cables and all pivot points, clean caliper assemblies and grease everything, look for screwy wiring (like tail light), check fork oil (seals seem good) and eventually pull wheels to check the bearings (new one's good, too much heat used, etc), need my manual to get here first.

Recommendations Needed:

-Sprockets- There are charts on gearing commander and such, but I'm trying to find the limitations of what will fit my chain. It's a 525, so I know the pitch and roller width (5/8 and 5/16, looked it up). To find out what sprocket sizes will fit, do I need to find out like the sprocket thickness and see what fits on the chain? Where do I get that info? I'd like the 16 tooth front back on and as close to stock on the back as the chain will allow for.

I need to do some reading on this, but any preliminary suggestions on chain care/maintenance products? The 650 really spoiled me; I did the final drive oil annually and that was it. No brushes, waxes/lubes, etc. Lots of learning to do here, and way more products to sift through than I care to or know how to do. Looking at PJ1 Blue label and a few others.

What other things should I be looking over? Will a 96-99 manual work for most of these things for now?

Looking for a how to on the coolant, just to make sure I pull the right bolts off the water pump, and want to see if anyone else uses a mix of vinegar and distilled water to flush it out a few times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-10-2015, 2:10 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 95 CBR 900, basic maintenance and cosmetic attention needed, advice appreciated

I posted a fuel pump recommendation in your other thread. The 96-99 manual has a bunch of changes. I would stick with the 93-95 manual. eBay should have them. Get a rear end stand for chain/rear end work. Makes adjusting and lubing the chain easier. I use Maxima Chain Wax. It's all personal preference though.

I would probably steer away from the 525 pitch stuff. Only reason is its kinda of oddball sizing. Stick with either 530 or 520. Easier to match chain and sprockets, master links etc.

Here is the bolt to remove for the water pump, 10mm head inside the outer ring:

If you don't pull the radiator cap the coolant won't flow out of the drain hole. Just be careful when the pressure is released, it pisses straight out.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 75 Old 04-10-2015, 2:13 AM

Garage
Re: 95 CBR 900, basic maintenance and cosmetic attention needed, advice appreciated

Oh, and please find it in your budget to throw away that hideous Two Bros can. It looks like an abortion. IMHO

I would like to see the entire exhaust. Looks like a full system but I can't see the flange.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 04-10-2015, 4:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

check out sprocket centers web page. its the place to get kits. best prices on a wide variety of chains and sprockets. if it were me id probably go back to the 530 but a 520 kit is strong enough for a 900 but it is going to wear a bit faster but really the difference in acceleration is pretty hard to even tell if at all. obviously its lighter which = faster acceleration byt we are talking thousands of a second n for a street bike i think longer chain life is a lot more practical. its going to be impossible to go anywhere near oem sizes without pulling a few links out of the chain and getting a new master link. imo you should just get a kit with a new chain and sprockets. its best to change the sprockets n chain together anyway. if one or the other is wore itll wear down the new chain or sprocket faster.

CBR 900RR 1993-1995 - Honda - STREET Products

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 75 Old 04-10-2015, 6:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

I got a slight smoked LED tail/turnsignal rear light I would part with cheap. Like new... Used 1 season.... $20

I know what you mean about the red and black models but I do like your wheels and the color combination. Good luck with your new bike!!

post #6 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 1:01 AM Thread Starter

Got front brakes flushed today… and at the end the Mity-Vac decided that 1 season was really all it needed to put in, and started giving me some issues.
Picked up stuff for coolant change: 6mm washer, coolant, 2 gallons of distilled water and some white vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I posted a fuel pump recommendation in your other thread. The 96-99 manual has a bunch of changes. I would stick with the 93-95 manual. eBay should have them. Get a rear end stand for chain/rear end work. Makes adjusting and lubing the chain easier. I use Maxima Chain Wax. It's all personal preference though.

I would probably steer away from the 525 pitch stuff. Only reason is it’s kinda of oddball sizing. Stick with either 530 or 520. Easier to match chain and sprockets, master links etc.

Here is the bolt to remove for the water pump, 10mm head inside the outer ring:

If you don't pull the radiator cap the coolant won't flow out of the drain hole. Just be careful when the pressure is released, it pisses straight out.
Right on about the 96-99 manual, was just trying to figure out if I could use an online version (96-99) while I wait for mine to arrive. Rear end stand is definitely on the need-to-get list.

Yea, agree on the sprockets and chain, that was done by the last guy and those are new within the last year, if not more recently. That’s my only hesitancy is to throw away too many parts that have lots of life left in them. I have the original sprockets and those don't even look worn much imo, so I'm pretty sure these are in good shape like he said (doubting everything until I see it myself at this point).

Guess I’ll just see how much adjustment I can get out of it for now. But I will steer towards a different size when the time comes for another chain. Unless I can sell mine.

Thanks for that pic, really hoping I can get the coolant changed tomorrow.
Quote:
Oh, and please find it in your budget to throw away that hideous Two Bros can. It looks like an abortion. IMHO

I would like to see the entire exhaust. Looks like a full system but I can't see the flange.
Hahaha yea it isn’t the prettiest thing out there, especially when I look at oem pics of it. I had one other pic of the exhaust handy, let me know what you need to i.d. it. Didn’t see any parts number by headers or anything like that, can get pics of the area if that helps.

Also, not sure how much extensive testing has been done on this, but was there major dyno testing on which exhaust gives the most improvements for the 900rr? Have an opportunity to get a full D&D (are they legit? never thought highly of them), have seen V&H, the occasional Yoshi, etc.
Or if this is a full system I could just get a replacement can and be set.

Adding pics to keep everything in 1 place. Fuel pump, how it looks now under the seats and the cowl I have. I have both of the purple pieces. Am I missing something? Seems like there should be something in the middle...

Last edited by GreatLakesGuy; 04-11-2015 at 1:19 AM. Reason: added pics
post #7 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 1:12 AM

Garage

Yeah that's a slip on can Mickey Moused into the stock header/midpipe. The flange with the 3 holes is the giveaway of the OEM exhaust.

post #8 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 1:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
check out sprocket centers web page. its the place to get kits. best prices on a wide variety of chains and sprockets. if it were me id probably go back to the 530 but a 520 kit is strong enough for a 900 but it is going to wear a bit faster but really the difference in acceleration is pretty hard to even tell if at all. obviously its lighter which = faster acceleration byt we are talking thousands of a second n for a street bike i think longer chain life is a lot more practical. its going to be impossible to go anywhere near oem sizes without pulling a few links out of the chain and getting a new master link. imo you should just get a kit with a new chain and sprockets. its best to change the sprockets n chain together anyway. if one or the other is wore itll wear down the new chain or sprocket faster.
CBR 900RR 1993-1995 - Honda - STREET Products
Yea, sounds like I will either need to adjust the chain length or compromise a little on what sprockets I run. The 525 chain/sprockets on ther eare pretty new, so kinda wanna avoid replacing those at the moment. Sprocket center has a lot of stuff. Nothing for the 525 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motleyfan View Post
I got a slight smoked LED tail/turnsignal rear light I would part with cheap. Like new... Used 1 season.... $20

I know what you mean about the red and black models but I do like your wheels and the color combination. Good luck with your new bike!!

Thanks, I'm hoping it ends up looking nice after I get it all together and polished up.
Would like to see a pic, sent me a pm, I can't send 'em yet. Yea, my favorite red/black is like the '03 954 or 05+ Cbr 1k.
post #9 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 1:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah that's a slip on can Mickey Moused into the stock header/midpipe. The flange with the 3 holes is the giveaway of the OEM exhaust.
Ha, bit of an insult to Mickey, wouldn't ya say?
So any full system would be an upgrade. Haven't seen a whole lot of slip-ons laying around, I'll have to start looking for each. Will probably need a re-tune with a full exhaust I'd guess. Brands to avoid?
post #10 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 2:16 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesGuy View Post
Ha, bit of an insult to Mickey, wouldn't ya say?
So any full system would be an upgrade. Haven't seen a whole lot of slip-ons laying around, I'll have to start looking for each. Will probably need a re-tune with a full exhaust I'd guess. Brands to avoid?
lol Yeah for some reason I guess Mickey wasn't very handy

A full system for a 95 may be hard to come by, but anything from 93-95 should bolt right up. I was never a Hindle fan, I always thought their stuff was a bit hacked, thin walled, cheap and prone to rust. I never owned one so its just my own stigma I guess. But I think they still have stuff for the old Blades. If you could find a good used Mike Velasco Racing MVR system that would be nice, and unique. Any full Yoshimura system would be good too, but I don't know if there are any out there anymore. V&H? Nope, steer clear. An older original Erion system would be ideal, great quality, great deep throaty sound, and make good power. Obviously your budget will dictate the specific pipe path you'll take. Get the full system which ever it is and a jet kit from Factory Pro. eBay still has them up from time to time, even one with Titanium needles. We all need Titanium needles, right?

And on a side note, be sure to go through and check all the charging system harness connections and function. The bikes are great, but the inherent most common issue is a crappy charging system. The reg/rec, stator, and starter solenoid have a habit of soiling the bed at will. Give them the once over. Info on that can be found here:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

Keep the pictures coming, document everything. It's amazing how good pics can be such a help to others and even yourself. Besides, I love to look at 900's all night while at work.

post #11 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 2:39 AM

Garage

There should be a rubber retainer around the fuel pump and a bracket attached to that rear frame spar. You won't need it though because your not using the pump lol

And here's a perfect example as to why I love taking pics. I didn't even know I had this one! Prior to removing the fuel pump. Shows the cracked rubber strapping and the bracket. But like I said. Just ditch it. Well I shouldn't say that. Take it out of the equation and hang onto it "in case" you decide to put it back in. Just be aware that over time a dry fuel pump usually fails after sitting.

post #12 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 7:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

I have a brand new Jet kit, Still in plastic wrapping! A Factory Pro jet kit, They go for about $130ish on fleebay... All do $100, Man I forgot all about that thing. Lol

P.S. for there's nothing wrong with your paint, Leave it as is! PLEASE, these bikes are getting rare and yours looks good!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1038[1].JPG‎   IMG_1039[1].JPG‎  

Last edited by tweezy666; 04-11-2015 at 7:58 AM.
post #13 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesGuy View Post
Yea, sounds like I will either need to adjust the chain length or compromise a little on what sprockets I run. The 525 chain/sprockets on ther eare pretty new, so kinda wanna avoid replacing those at the moment. Sprocket center has a lot of stuff. Nothing for the 525 though.

Thanks, I'm hoping it ends up looking nice after I get it all together and polished up.
Would like to see a pic, sent me a pm, I can't send 'em yet. Yea, my favorite red/black is like the '03 954 or 05+ Cbr 1k.
Ill try and get you a picture of the light later today. Picking up a new tow in a few hours. 06 RC51 one owner with 1400 miles..
post #14 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 9:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motleyfan View Post
Ill try and get you a picture of the light later today. Picking up a new tow in a few hours. 06 RC51 one owner with 1400 miles..
Nice! I almost traded my 929 for a 04 but went with a ZX10r. If the RC51 only had 1400, I would've get the RC! They're getting really rare to see, in good shape anyway...
post #15 of 75 Old 04-11-2015, 6:31 PM

Here are 2 shots of the taillamp. It's a clear alternatives smoked LED lamp with intergreated turn signals. $20.00 plus shipping.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page