1996 CBR900RR revived. Aloha from Hawaii. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 2:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1996 CBR900RR revived. Aloha from Hawaii.

Now that my project is pretty much complete, Iíd like to introduce myself and my bike. Iím a graduate student from Hawaii that just recently got bitten by the motorcycle bug, and wanted a project to introduce myself to the basic mechanics of it all. Found this 1996 CBR900RR from a Military guy who had just crashed it and didnít have any place to store it/time to work on it. Crash bars did a hell of a job preventing this bike from getting completely killed. Being a little island with little opportunity, I bought it for a pretty steep price. Aside from the damage, it seemed mechanically fine. I was able to start it up and drive it. The bike also had relatively low miles at 16181. Other cons included a missing seat, non-functioning gauge cluster, broken right rear set, hacked rear fender. Little did I know the radiator was also damaged (mounting tab broke). Long story short, there was a lot of work ahead of me. Here are the initial pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG‎   002.JPG‎   003.JPG‎   005.JPG‎  

006.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 2:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1996 CBR900RR revived. Aloha from Hawaii.

I wish I had taken more pics, especially of the bike completely naked after I tore it apartÖ errÖ phrasingÖ Anyway, once I get wrenching itís hard to step away to wash my hands and take pictures. If itís any consolation, here are some pictures of the replacement parts. Interesting note, the fox-eye headlamps are hella hard to find for cheap, mine ended up coming all the way from Ireland. The upper cowl stay/gauge cluster mount came from England (along with some other mounting brackets). The body, of course, came from Singapore. Aside from them messing up my order and sending me the 94-95 body style, it lined up pretty decently. It was a lot better than what I expected at 360 bucks. But itís nowhere near perfect. Mounting it was a PITA. But hey, it was cheap. I went with a solid black no decal set up with the thought of having to paint it in the future. Paint scratches pretty easily, so Iím glad I went that route.
Attached Thumbnails
007.JPG‎   008.JPG‎   012.JPG‎   011.JPG‎  

013.JPG‎  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 2:27 AM Thread Starter

This picture deserves its own little post. I was dumb-founded by this. Maybe someone else can explain why you would do this? I mean, air filters are pretty darn important and all, but if you really donít want one, why bother cutting out the paper element? Why not just take the darn thing out? Or put foam? IDK, I just found this weird. This picture deserved its own post, and the person that did this deserves a special place in hell.
Attached Thumbnails
009.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 2:31 AM Thread Starter

And now hereís everything put together. Again, not pictured is a lot of sweat, tears, cut hands and scraped knuckles. Being in Hawaii, rear DOT approved signals are required, along with reflectors. Being the original rear fender a one-piece with the underbody plastic, I had to improvise. Turned out a lot better than I expected.
Other interesting things I learned about this bike:
1) One of the POs changed the vacuum petcock to a gravity petcock
2) The bike may actually have more than 16181 miles, after I fixed the cluster, the speedo still didnít work. Turns out the speed sensor made poor contact with the nut on the sprocket. A couple of washers later and the speedo works just fine.
3) The crash bars worked wonders and truly saved this bike from certain death
4) One of the POs really liked green. It came with Green LED underbody lights
5) Whoever did the custom bodywork/lighting done messed up. There are LEDs on the back wired for brakes and turns, but they crossed the left and right signals. YeahÖ attention to detailÖ

Anyway, that's my bike. The work never ends (there's still a couple of things I need to work on, including getting the beefier 96+ fenders on) but the bike runs and drives. All said and done, calculated 2700 sunk in the project (along with my blood, sweat, and tears). But you can't put a price on a hobby. Plus, that's a great deal for a sport-bike in Hawaii. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Attached Thumbnails
015.JPG‎   014.JPG‎   018.JPG‎   019.JPG‎  

017.JPG‎  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 3:01 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Well done!!!

Another vintage 900 saved by someone who obviously likes them. I commend you on the rebirth. And I won't hammer you for only having before and after pics.......the camera doesn't care if your hands are dirty

Again, great job and I think the solid black looks great.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
post #6 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 3:28 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Looks good! Maybe I'll run into you sometime, as I'm on Oahu as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 5:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

nice work and welcome to the site if i havent already welcomed you. ill admit im slightly jealous of the view. : )

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page