Intermittent starting issues 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2015, 1:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Intermittent starting issues 954rr

So I've spent endless hours reading threads pertaining to starting issues for the 954...
Well here is my addition to them:
02 954rr, devil exhaust, pc3, 22k miles.
Last fall it started with a bad battery after chasing down voltage issues and such.
Even after new batter was installed, I continued to have starting issues. Sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't. I've noticed that when it doesn't start, it will drain the battery, and after connecting tender to it (genie model) it will start even at 75% charge showing on tender readout. Sometimes it won't start even at 100%. BUT, at times it will start after not being on tender for a complete day. I have started it and let it warm up to operating temp and then shut it off with kill switch and key, then started it back up with success. I've also let it run for several mins, shut it off, attempted to start and resulted in just cranking. Walked away for a smoke, come back and starts right up. Agh!!!
I've used several different maps with no change is starting ability. At one point I thought maybe it was vapor locking, but the constant change in how it starts and when it will or won't has lead me away from that. I haven't read any posts that explain such a intermittent starting problem. Maybe I'm so frustrated that I'm missing something small here... Let the diagnosis begin....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-16-2015, 4:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
Re: Intermittent starting issues 954rr

maybe im telling a stupid thing but did you checked the regulator rectifier? maybe could be that the problem

[IMG][/IMG]
post #3 of 3 Old 04-16-2015, 8:17 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: Intermittent starting issues 954rr

I didn't read anywhere in your post whether or not it's "throwing" any codes... have you checked the self-diagnostic plug onder the seat? There are several threads on here how to properly perform this, and the service manual also explains the step-by_step process. If you haven't one, and are unable to find the treads, let me/us know and I'll see what I can do for you.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
954 problem starting , 954 starting issues , 954 won't start , 95444

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page