Popping out of 2nd, hard to shift into first - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 2:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Popping out of 2nd, hard to shift into first

Hello, I just got my '01 929 rideable for the first time since buying it and it keeps popping out of 2nd gear back to neutral. It's also difficult to get it back into first, although it doesn't seem have any trouble sticking in any other gear including 1st once I get it in. I may have had it pop out of 3rd a few times, but I'm not sure if I was actually still in second thinking it was third. If I ride it skipping from first, briefly to second, and then quickly up to third before it pops out, I seem to be okay. I know this is probably a rebuild the transmission situation, but really hoping there's something else it could be before exploring that. The bike only has 10K miles on it, but doesn't seem like it was very well cared for.

I also just replaced the clutch cable, springs, and center nut as it was apparently taken apart by the PO and not put back together correctly. any chance my issues are due to improper clutch or shifter adjustment or anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 2:36 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Popping out of 2nd, hard to shift into first

Sounds like someone been doing a lot of wheelies, maybe the shift cylinder in the trans is damaged, if you remove the oil pan and exhaust you can c it from the bottom.

Shoe
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 2:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

as said, probably shift drum and forks. those can be replaced without splitting the case but if 2nd gear is worn you'll eventually have the same problem again. i ended up replacing 2nd, 6th, and the fork that moves 2nd, which required opening it all up. but you may be able to get by with just drum or forks. search around, there are images showing what to look for as far as the gears go, you can see them and move them around from the bottom once the drum and forks are out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
as said, probably shift drum and forks. those can be replaced without splitting the case but if 2nd gear is worn you'll eventually have the same problem again. i ended up replacing 2nd, 6th, and the fork that moves 2nd, which required opening it all up. but you may be able to get by with just drum or forks. search around, there are images showing what to look for as far as the gears go, you can see them and move them around from the bottom once the drum and forks are out.
Great thanks, I'll look that up. Is there any danger in continuing

to ride it skipping 2nd until I get around to taking it apart again? I've been waiting for 3 months to get it rideable and would like to enjoy it a bit before disabling it again if I won't be causing to much additional damage by doing so
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2015, 4:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthedriver View Post
Great thanks, I'll look that up. Is there any danger in continuing

to ride it skipping 2nd until I get around to taking it apart again? I've been waiting for 3 months to get it rideable and would like to enjoy it a bit before disabling it again if I won't be causing to much additional damage by doing so
I'm sure someone will chastize me for saying this, but I cummuted daily on a Suzuki many years ago shifting from 1st to 3rd for several thousand miles due to a bent shift fork and rounded dogs (due to drag racing in my misspent youth, didn't have the time and $ to properly fix it) 'till I found a used engine. (wasn't looking for an engine, just happened upon it cheap, it ended up being cheaper than the sum of the new parts from Suzuki, and a simple engine swap instead of splitting cases).

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2015, 4:42 PM Thread Starter

haha that's awesome, thanks for the input. Looks like its skipping 4th too . I'm gonna ride for a little while at least and then take it apart and check it out.

This may be a stupid question, but are the engine and transmission one unit on a motorcycle? ie. if I found a cheap used engine, would that include the transmission as well? I'm still new to motorcycle mechanics trying to better learn the difference from cars.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2015, 4:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Yes, that's why I went with the engine. I got lucky and found an engine for $150, like I said, it was a long time ago and that engine required splitting the cases to do the work, not to mention the time required to send the gears out to be undercut. If 4th is also gone you should fix it before continuing to ride it due to safety concerns, hate to see you get into a bad situation missing a gear. I had plenty of torque to skip 2nd, and the bike was my only means of transport at the time.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2015, 7:48 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
(due to drag racing in my misspent youth, didn't have the time and $ to properly fix it)
Brutal honesty there..

That's funny, relatable to most people such as myself (Just about to leave that stage actually).

There are several guys that undercut gears, but yeah, that's what needs done or finding salvage parts like others have said.
No fixing a messed up dog, fork, etc without digging in there with some surgery.

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2015, 7:07 PM Thread Starter

So I took my oil pan off to take a look at the gears before attempting to split the case or even remove the clutch as I want to figure out what I need to do before totally immobilizing my bike (I'm just working in my apartment parking lot right now). Looking up there, I could see that the dogs on the gear on the left (right in the video) of the middle shift fork are worn, but everything else I could see looked ok. Of course, what I can see is limited without taking more out, but I'm wondering what the opinions are on whether I could get away with just changing the forks or not. I know I *should* split the case and replace the gears to fix it correctly, but due to my limitations on work space, if replacing the forks would make it work right, at least for awhile, I am leaning toward just doing that. If I'd be wasting time and effort and not making it any better though, I'd like to know so I can either try to sell it as is or work out something that would allow me to split the case. Any advice or experience appreciated. I did look at the pics here and they were very helpful: https://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...cbr-929-a.html
Here's a video I took of what my tranny looks like right now:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page