Sprocket cover blown off (!) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2015, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Sprocket cover blown off (!)

Out for a (spirited) ride with a good friend today. Heading up some back-roads and I heard and felt a grinding, almost as if the footrest had touched down. (I'm pretty good, but was nowhere near that lean angle.)
Stopped to check, nothing untoward.
Very spirited ride back home, motorway 'speeds', came off into the city, friend waving his arms. Smoke pouring from the front sprocket area, stopped, and the old chain oil set merrily on fire!!!
Took it gingerly home, no sign of any distress, no funny noises, smooth as you like..... curious and curioser!
Got home to take a proper look. Plastic sprocket cover hanging loose, the speedo drive plastic that fits on the sprocket bolt melted, closer look, all the alloy surrounding the sprocket from top bolt to where it comes close to the case casting gone!
Absolutely no chain damage, (brand new DID), anally tensioned to perfection, lubed to within an inch of its life.
ALL I can think is that a stone or some or detritus was picked up by the chain and carried into the sprocket area, to jam solid and crack the alloy.
So, I'm left with a bit of a gap in front of the sprocket, I'd leave it, but the engine will get splattered with chain lube, time to make up a shield and find a way of mounting it securely.
So, there you go. If there is one lesson to learn its that if a chain does snap, it WILL clear off your crank-case so look after your chain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2015, 6:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: Sprocket cover blown off (!)

Closer inspection shows deep grooving from the chain in the bits of case still around. I put on a 17 tooth sprocket a while ago, looks like its a little too large. Also, the DID links are higher than the RK chain I had on before. I guess that the larger sprocket and higher links have been chewing away at the casing until it gave up.
Sorry, no photos, phone dead and camera faulty, (got soaked in the gales last weekend, died the death somewhere between Newark and Manchester).
post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2015, 4:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Sprocket cover blown off (!)

I guess it's easy to be wise after the event - at least yours had a relatively happy ending!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page